Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12

Dinner O’Charley’s

This is 5 mins drive from Universal on Plaza at junction of Sandlake Road/Turkey lake road (near Wholefoods)

We’d eaten her in 2016 and liked it. I got a restaurant.com voucher to save $25 for $10. The vouchers are restocked on the 1st of every month and the O’Charley ones do go out of stock within a day or two. The vouchers don’t expire. Minimum spend to use a $25 voucher is $50.

O’Charleys also has a lot of deals on like ½ price appetisers, happy hour drinks, free pie on Wednesday. They were also doing kids eat free 10 and under I think. It has quite a big menu with a southern comfort food bias.

This was my least favourite meal of the week. I was tired which didn’t help.

To start they bring yeast rolls and butter. The rolls are the same type they serve at Manny’s chop house.

DD was being hard work. She had the kids steak here last year but it now wasn’t an option on the kid’s menu. She got an adult meal of 6oz steak with chicken tenders fries and mac and cheese after much deliberation.

DH opted for the chicken tenders with a Nashville bbq sauce that was supposed to be spicy. It wasn’t just a bit odd and he wasn’t too keen. This was off the $9.99 menu.

I meant to order the Louisiana shrimp and chicken pasta I had last time but the words Cajun chicken pasta came out of my mouth. It was fine but I wanted the other one! My fault.$10.99

DH and I upgraded for $3.99 each extra to get a starter and dessert.

DH had the baked potato soup and I had a Caesar salad.

We ended up getting the pie to go, I got apple and DH a chocolate silk one which melted before we made it back to the room with it.

I also had a Kentucky Mai tai cocktail $7.99

Server had an annoying habit of popping up loudly saying to us how is everything and then saying fantastic and rushing off before we could reply.

DH says it was pretty damn average. It was fine but not fantastic.

Do check your bill – she had charged us each the $3.99 upgrade plus $3.99 again each for the pie, which she did remove.

$33.07 plus tip (plus $10 for the restaurant.com voucher)

Walmart

We then ended the night in Walmart on Turkey Lake road. It was packed and we got in a till queue behind a Hispanic family with the worlds most packed trolley that they kept throwing stuff in and a very very slow cashier. We did get some water, crisps, donuts and oreos. Plus various random items for home.

Day 2 total

$105.59 plus tip and $10 for restaurant.com voucher
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 17, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Reading alng, love these reports, so many ideas and ways to eat reasonably on holiday!
Old 16 Sep 17, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Day 3

Tuesday 22nd August 2017

Breakfast in our room

Plan today was to be at Volcano bay for 7.30am early entry. We were at the bus stop at our hotel before 7am. We had breakfast in the room, I had the apple pie left over from O’Charleys last night. It was ok but very sweet. DD and DH had some donuts ($2.78 from Walmart last night for a tray of donuts). To be honest I regretted the sweet start to the day as combined with the very early start and heat I didn’t feel too great late morning. I tended to at least have something savoury for breakfast the rest of the week as a result.

Lunch, Cheesecake factory, Mall of Millenia

We haven’t been here for several years. The menu is massive, I know DH in particular struggled with what to choose. DD had the pasta alfredo off the kids menu $7.95. It says 10 and under but the portion was big and no issues with her ordering. They just charged her for a regular soda whereas the kids menu included a drink for younger kids.

I had the grilled fish tacos which I enjoyed $15.50.

DH had a macaroni & cheese burger with fries which he liked $13.95.

DD went up to look at the cheesecake and was spoiled for choice.

She opted for an oreo dream extreme one which DH helped her with (I’m not a cheesecake lover) She liked it but not wowed, (the chocolate one I buy from the co op if it’s in the reduced price section J) is better apparently!

Server was just ok, he clearly thought he was above waiting on as a job. He asked if any questions about menu and was walking off before chance to speak, bread took ages to come.

All in all we enjoyed and would go back.

$55.23 plus tip

Ben and Jerry ice cream, New York Area, Universal Studios

About 6.15pm we were in need of a snack and some a/c. It was so hot.

The Ben and Jerrys has some limited indoor seating and we luckily got a table.

We had 3 waffle cones with 2 scoops of ice cream each which were massive. I did ask for a mini vermonster sundae but they were out of the tubs and couldn’t do it. They have lots of flavours here, I know I had cherry garcia and phish food.

I had a groupon (for $14 worth of ice cream) but I knew from the dibb it had been hit or miss whether the stores in Universal were accepting it. I did ask but was told no. It was busy so I just paid cash.

$21.99

NYPD Pizza, Lake Cay, Universal Boulevard

We ate dinner about 8pm here. NYPD are a small pizza chain that get really good ratings on trip advisor. We’ve been a couple of times before to the one in Metro West. Both this one and Metro West are about 15 mins drive from Universal.

I tried this one on dibb recommendation and it was very easy to get to will definitely go here again.

Tuesday is buy one get a free cheese pizza night. As we ate later we were fine and got a table but it did look like it had been very busy earlier on.

On Wednesday, they do a free kids (12 and under) make your own pizza deal which DD has previously enjoyed.

They did ask if we wanted 2nd pizza just boxing up rather than serving to us which would be good if you were in a villa/condo. We had some garlic bread knots to start with marinara dip, we were all hungry.

We had an 18 inch deluxe with no mushrooms (DH doesn’t do mushrooms) which was lovely. DD had some of the free 18 inch cheese pizza.

We did come away with a full box of pizza. I managed to fit the pizza minus the box in the tiny room fridge and we had it for a snack (cold) another day.

It isn’t a fancy place but we have always enjoyed the pizza. Server was a young girl and she was great brought lots of soda refills (soda only $2 here not the $3/$3.50 it is at most places).

$31.42 plus tip

Total Day 3 $108.64 plus tip
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 17, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Day 4

Wednesday 23rd August 2017

Breakfast Keke’s Dr Phillips

This is about 5 mins drive from Universal. It’s in a residential area so more locals even though it is only a few mins drive from International drive area. We were there about 8.30am and were seated no problem although it was busy.

Previously we’ve been a few times to one near mall of Millenia which is also not too far from Universal.

The coffee was good here, DH and I had coffee. DD had water.

We all went for combos basically breakfast with dessert.

DD had an adult’s bacon and potatoes with a choc chip pancake. Previously she has had the kid’s choc chip pancakes which are small silver dollar type and she was hungry and wanted bacon so chose the adults meal.

I had scrambled eggs and bacon with a Florida pancake.

DH had scrambled egg and bacon with a banana nut waffle.

We did over order especially the bacon. DD didn’t like the potatoes wheras I really did (they had onion in) so there was some sharing.

My Florida pancake was delicious would definitely have again. It was one massive fluffy pancake topped with banana, blueberries and strawberries.

I’d also recommend the stuffed pina colada French toast I’ve had previously.

Server was good, she was training so we had her and her supervisor.

Keke’s wins the Orlando Sentinel newspaper best breakfast award annually.

It was our dearest breakfast but the quality is very good. Never any coupons or offers for Keke’s. It was my favourite breakfast will definitely eat here again.

$44.15 plus tip

Early Dinner

Teak Neighborhood Grill

We ate at Teak again, have been 3 times before. We arrived just before 4pm and sat on patio.

There was a little wait to be served due to a mix up, they change shifts at 4pm. They apologised and it wasn’t a big deal.

We usually eat here late afternoon rather than evening. It is a bar so we prefer to go when it is quieter and sit on patio.

We just asked for the secret burger menu as well as the normal menu. It is so hard to decide there must be about 25 burgers to choose from.

We all had soda to drink.

DD has previously had kid’s meals here (menu says 12 and under)

She wanted an adult burger this time. We found that with DD this time being 11 she sometimes wanted kids sometimes adults so we just checked how hungry she was and ordered accordingly.

As she doesn’t do ‘stuff’ on things she had a plain jane cheeseburger with fries. $11

DH had a cronie burger with onion rings $13. He wasn’t wowed by this, the cronie bit was hard and a bit too odd for him would choose another burger next time.

I had an Idaho burger $12 with side winders (I had to ask what they were they were fat curly fries) The Idaho was massive with homemade potato chips. DH actually preferred my sidewinders and ate those whilst I had the potato chips.

Server was good, she was called Jewelia (pronounced like Julia) which I thought was an unusual pretty name.

Teak do take the kids eat free card if you have one of those.

It’s about 15 mins drive from Universal in a residential area. We have always enjoyed the food and will definitely eat here again.

$47.43 plus tip

Dessert

Coldstone Creamery International Drive

DH’s suggestion and a good one. We called in at the one on International drive near the Longhorn on the way back from shopping.

It was probably about 8pm.

I had a coupon from joining the email club for BOGOF any size. These are location specific so choose the one near you. There is a Coldstone at citywalk but you can’t get email coupons for there.

We got the largest Gotta have it size. DD chose a Mint mint chocolate chip off signature creations and DH a mud pie mojo signature creation. I shared with DH. I have to say his choice sounded weird – coffee and peanut butter but it was really good.

They have a small seating area so we sat in to eat. I will mention the toilet though, it was locked and you had to get a key from the staff – the key was attached to a massive metal ruler so it didn’t get lost which DD thought hilarious.

No receipt think it was $6.75 inc tax as we had Buy one get one free. The girl on the till hadn’t seen the email coupon before but manager showed her how to put in through no problem.

Total day 4 $98.33
Old 16 Sep 17, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by Excited6910 View Post
Look forward to your reports as always

Ollie is very cute
Thank you
Old 16 Sep 17, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by Firstxmastrip View Post
Brilliant start, Steak 'n Shake looks like a good cheaper option, will definitely try that next year. Looking forward to more!
Thank you. It's very much fast food but is a good cheap option.
Old 16 Sep 17, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
Brilliant start first days spends 35 cents bet that was a brilliant rollover to next day☺️... My daughter will only have the plain ham sandwiches for her flight meals as well as a heap of junk food... Funny she's not fussy about crisps and sweets😉... Still not to try steak and shake but will one day, I think for the price it always looks spot on.
Looking forward to reading more x
Thank you. Steak n shake has always been nice been several times over the years.
Old 16 Sep 17, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by KK_Cat View Post
WooHoo, another Dixon's trip report (definitely on my "favourites" list). A great start, we are fans of Steak 'n' Shake also, particularly the shakes, and such great value. We've been to the one near Crossroads and also the one at Lakeland just across from the mall, that one is always particularly busy. Looking forward to seeing what other restaurants you visited over the week.

Hope your daughter has settled well into school, she looks so grown-up now even compared to your last trip report. Thanks for posting, I love that you also show the receipts.
Thank you. She is really enjoying her new school and has settled in really well. She is getting the school bus which has made my life easier.

I have got most of the receipts just a few missing.
Old 16 Sep 17, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by Mental Minnie View Post
Wow 35 cents. Looking forward to reading more. Really enjoyed your last food report. Your daughter looks all grown up.
Thank you. Yes she is 11 now.
Old 16 Sep 17, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
I bet you win the Dibbers prize of the cheapest meal with 35 cents 😂. Looking forward to another of your reports.
Probably. I'd left the tip on the table so did hand over the printed email gift card and 35 cents in coins