Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 26 Dec 17, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
firsttimedream
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Brilliant can't wait for note 😋😋
firsttimedream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 17, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by firsttimedream View Post
Brilliant can't wait for note 😋😋
Thank you. Coming up...
Old 27 Dec 17, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Day Five

Day Five

This morning we headed off bright and early to the Magic Kingdom. Sean made a brief pitstop at the Main Street Bakery for an extremely large crème brulee latte.

Surprisingly he gave his real name. Even more surprisingly, it got spelled correctly and not Shaun or Shawn.
Cost one snack credit or $6.17

After taking some pretty castle photos and going on a couple of rides we made our way to Gaston’s Tavern for our breakfast. I had a Lefou’s Brew, Sean had another coffee and we shared a cinnamon roll.

Not being huge Cinnabon fans, we had debated whether to try this. It’s pretty massive and looks like it is going to be really sickly. However, having seen it featured in a number of trip reports and generally receiving a good press, we decided to give it a go. And oh my goodness, we’re so glad we did. It was much lighter than we expected and we had no trouble finishing it at all. Delicious. Cost three snack credits or $14.46

Lunch was at one of the few QS eateries in the Magic Kingdom that we actually like and return to pretty much every trip, Columbia Harbour House. It always seems to be busy and today was no exception, although it didn’t take too long to get served. Getting a seat was another matter though. The only table we could find was upstairs, right at the far end.

I had the Anchors Aweigh tuna sandwich and a frozen lemonade, which came with a cute curly Mickey straw. I always have this and it’s always good.

Sean had the seafood mac and cheese, which he loved, plus a coke.

Cost two QS credits or $35.11

In the afternoon we had a couple of hours by the pool. We made good use of our mugs and also bought a bag of Chip’n’Dale trail mix from the Sandy Cove shop for one snack credit or $5.79. No photo but I’m sure everyone knows what they look like.

With only seven days worth of DDP credits there isn’t a lot of scope for signature dining so we agreed that we would just choose one restaurant on this trip. Tonight was the night and we chose Narcoossee’s.

As it was only a stone’s throw away from our room, we decided to get dressed up a bit. Although I like wearing high heels, I am best at sitting down in them but fortunately it wasn’t too far to totter.

First up was some warm bread

It came with butter which, according to our server, had been sprinkled with pixie dust

For my dinner I chose swordfish, which was served on a bed of fingerling potatoes and heritage tomatoes.

Sean had the surf’n’turf, which came with mashed potato and roasted carrots.

For dessert I chose sorbet and fresh fruit

Sean had crème brulee.

Drinks were a lemonade for me and a beer plus a latte for Sean.

Cost four TS credits plus $8.79 for the beer or $134.98

During the meal the music for the Magic Kingdom fireworks was piped in and a lot of people went out to watch them from the verandah. We didn’t bother as it had turned a bit chilly and we had already watched them from our own balcony several times, with almost exactly the same view.

Our thoughts on Narcoossee’s were mixed. The food was all very good, well presented and delicious. The service was good, although not outstanding, and the setting overlooking Seven Seas Lagoon was very pretty. But somehow something seemed to be missing and we haven’t quite managed to put a finger on what. There was nothing exactly wrong, it just didn't feel quite special enough. We would return to see what the Sunday brunch is like, but at the moment Citricos remains our favourite signature restaurant.

Rather than stay for drinks in Narcoossee’s, we went back to Mizner’s Lounge.

Sean had another beer and because I am trendy and down wiv da kidz, I had an espresso martini. It.Was.Strong. Cost $20.77

Edited at 01:26 PM.
hornetgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 17, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Day Six

Day Six

An early start today as we didn’t want to miss our Flight of Passage fastpass slot. Breakfast was a quick affair at Gasparilla’s – a bagel with cream cheese for Sean and a Danish for me, plus tea/coffee in our mugs.

Cost $7.55 or two snack credits.

For lunch we went to Yak and Yeti Local Food Café. Last time we ate here, the chicken fried rice was a really good deal for a snack credit. Alas there have been changes. It now comes in two different sized boxes and the one which is snack credit eligible is about the size of a matchbox and wouldn’t contain enough to fill your tooth. Instead I had honey chicken with a lemonade and Sean had a kobe cheeseburger and a root beer.

The food was all ok but it was extremely busy and getting a table was a bit of a bunfight. We ended up sharing with a family who didn’t speak much English, so we all smiled and nodded a lot then got on with the business of eating our lunch. Cost $35.75 or two QS credits.

For dessert we headed over to Tamu Tamu refreshments for a pair of lovely, refreshing, pineapple dole whip cups.

We dithered over whether to have the rum version but decided against it as we still had a big pile of snack credits to use up. Obviously they tasted absolutely divine. Cost $9.57 or two snack credits.

As always seems to be the way, it was really hot at Animal Kingdom, so we went back to the hotel to cool down in the pool. On the way I grabbed some spicy Chip’n’Dale snack mix, which we had with some drinks.

Sean bought a beer for $8.79 and as there was no refill machine, the barman kindly gave me a free cup of diet coke. Cost one snack credit plus cash for beer or $14.58

Our evening ADR was at The Wave, so just a quick ride round the monorail to the Contemporary.

Lovely warm bread first.

Then I had grilled beef tenderloin, which was served with potato celeriac mash and autumn vegetables

Followed by a chocolate flight

Sean had a dashi noodle bowl with shrimp

With a sorbet trio for dessert.

Drinks were a sprite and a coffee.

This was our standout meal of the holiday by a country mile. We have had breakfast at The Wave on a previous visit, which we loved, and were keen to see how dinner would compare. It didn’t disappoint in any respect at all. Everything we ate was delicious. Our server was earning her ears, so she was overseen by a colleague. Both of them were utterly charming. They were helpful and friendly without being in the least bit overbearing. Oh and they also presented us with something for our anniversary at the end of the meal. None of your cupcake nonsense here

The Wave is a fabulous restaurant, particularly for parties without children, who are looking for a more “grown up” vibe for want of a better way to describe it. It doesn’t feature in many food reports and never seems to be too busy. I hope it stays that way, it’s become a firm favourite and we'll definitely be returning. Cost two TS credits or $94.45

As Sean was wearing a Hawaiian shirt tonight, it seemed only right that we should take the monorail round to the Polynesian to finish off the evening at Trader Sams. We wanted to see the fun rather than be it, so we just ordered a Longboard beer for Sean and a Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki for me.

Cost $22.90

It would be easy to walk past Trader Sams without realising it’s there but it’s well worth seeking out. No spoilers, but if you get the chance, just do it, it's great fun. It’s quite small, so there can be a wait to get in but we were lucky. It was very busy and we had to share a table with another couple. They were very brave and had a Nautilus – google it! As is probably apparent from my username, we’re from Watford. So were they. It’s a small world after all.

Edited at 08:05 PM.
hornetgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 17, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
The chocolate flight looks delicious. We loved breakfast at The Wave and need to return to have dinner one day.

Enjoying your photos and reading along.

Mrs P
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 17, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumba75 View Post
The chocolate flight looks delicious. We loved breakfast at The Wave and need to return to have dinner one day.

Enjoying your photos and reading along.

Mrs P
Thank you. I'm going to keep quiet about how good The Wave is I think, I don't want it to change
Old 29 Dec 17, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Day Seven

Day Seven

Our last day at the Grand Floridian and so our last day of DDP. We had packed up most of our stuff last night so just finished off the last minute bits and pieces before heading out for breakfast. You may remember that we didn’t have our planned meal at Tokyo Dining a couple of days ago. This meant we had two unused table service credits from then, so we decided to revisit an old favourite, the Grand Floridian Café. I made the booking yesterday evening using MDE.

First up were some warm biscuits

I had the grand breakfast with orange juice

Sean had steak and eggs with coffee

As we have found here previously, the food was excellent and the service faultless. Cost two TS credits or $45.46

There were two slim young ladies at the table next to us who appeared to have ordered an enormous amount of food, so much in fact that they needed a second table to accommodate it all. Curiosity got the better of us and we had to ask why they were apparently so hungry. It turned out they work for Disney’s social media channels and were doing a piece on the various breakfast offerings available at the Grand Floridian. They said there was no way they would be able to eat all the food and that once they had finished photographing it, we would be welcome to help them out with it. Whilst it was a very kind offer we regretfully declined as 1) we were already quite stuffed from our own breakfast and 2) we were heading off to Typhoon Lagoon, so did not want to be any more stuffed or we would sink like stones.

After a brief stop at the hotel lobby to check out and arrange for our bags to be transferred to Wilderness Lodge, we set off for some waterpark fun.

We’ve been going to Typhoon Lagoon for as long as I can remember and we’ve eaten at Typhoon Tilly’s every single time. Today Typhoon Tilly’s was shut. We had no idea what to do next. After consulting the map we made our way round to Leaning Palms, where I had to settle for a chicken teriyaki sandwich and a frozen lemonade, while Sean had an island burger and a coke.

I’m sure there was a psychological element involved in not being able to get what we wanted, but we didn’t think this meal was up to much. It was ok, but nothing more. Cost $33.08 or two QS credits.

It felt strange heading back afterwards, getting as far as the Magic Kingdom entrance but going to the right for Wilderness Lodge instead of left for the Grand Floridian. Our new home was just as beautiful as our old one, although in a very different way. It felt like we were in the middle of nowhere.

We still had a number of snack credits left, which needed to be used by midnight, so we stocked up on some cereal , yogurt and milk from Roaring Fork, saving a couple of credits in case we needed them later in the evening.

Tonight we dined at Be Our Guest. When it first opened, back when there were no ADRs and you had to queue, we had enjoyed a lovely lunch there. On a more recent trip we had breakfast, which we weren’t so impressed with, other than the fact that it got us an early ride on the Mine Train without either queueing or needing a fast pass. So this evening we were completing the full set by having dinner there.

On arrival we were told there would be a wait of ten minutes or so, so we whiled away the time with a bit of silliness.

It wasn’t long before our names were called and we were shown in. On both previous occasions we had eaten in the West Wing. This time we were shown to a table in the Castle Gallery, which was lovely.

Warm bread as usual to start with.

Sean had steak for his main course, plus a coke to drink

I decided to try something a bit different and had layered ratatouille plus a diet coke.

Then the dessert trolley came round.

I decided to try the grey stuff, which was – really quite nice. I wasn’t sure that I’d like it as I’m not a fan of Oreos but felt obliged to try it just because. And I did actually enjoy it. Even if I hadn't liked it, it was worth it for the presentation.

Sean wanted something quite light, so our server suggested an éclair.

This was a lovely meal, far better than I was expecting. The food was excellent and our server, Ashley Joy, was absolutely delightful. Previously in the West Wing we had found people were constantly shoving past our table to look at the rose. Although in the Castle Gallery there were some people who came round to look at the pictures, it didn’t feel so cramped and intrusive. The only downside was that we ate at 8:15 and there were a number of cranky, overtired small children in there who really weren’t enjoying the experience. Presumably it was the only time their parents had been able to get a reservation for. Anyway, we enjoyed our dinner very much and would return. Oh and of course we also got to meet the beast afterwards. Cost our last two TS credits or $79.86.

We were full. But we had snack credits left and we were in the Magic Kingdom. Obviously we had a pineapple float before we left.

That plus a bottle of water cost two snack credits or $8.85.

The final snack credits went on some Goofy jelly beans, a bag of trail mix and a tub of little savoury biscuit things. So there we were, done with the DDP part of our trip.
Old 30 Dec 17, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
You had some great food during your week at GF

Joan
Old 31 Dec 17, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
halloweenbaby2
VIP Dibber

Just caught up and loving your food report so far.
I've read lots of good things about The Wave but have yet to try it.

Thanks for taking the time to share
halloweenbaby2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 18, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer81
Imagineer

DisneyDreamer81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
All caught up with your posts - you had some fab food! I had the steak at Be Our Guest in 2015 and it was one of my favourite meals of that trip
2015 - Disneymoon! Caribbean Beach Resort & Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
2017 - Yacht Club & Disney Dream
DisneyDreamer81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List