Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by MissFortune View Post
OMG So much to comment on!

- It'll be interesting to see how the figures stack up against buying the DDP. I know adamtoonarmy's report is looking good to coming out ahead but as people eat so differently, it'll be good to see how you two fare.

- Never heard of Fresh Mediterranean Market or seen it mentioned. It'll be nice to see some new stuff.

- Ooh i'm a bit jealous of your Wave ADR. Always been curious to try there but as OH eats like a sparrow at breakfast time, it's never made sense to. Enjoy!

- Homecomin' is fab. It's one of very few onsite restaurants we ate at OOP last year as it's just too good to miss. If I was off DDP again though I would definitely consider sharing the chicken & mash platter and a slice of the 10ft delicious Hummingbird cake. Last year we had a meal each, no dessert and were pretty much ready to go to bed after eating (and it was at lunchtime lol).

- Been desperate to try the Wok Fried Green Beans for years but i'd be the only one eating them. This year I might throw caution to wind, order some and them skip dessert or just get the sorbet.

- Ooh those baked goods look fab. Wish we got banana nut flavour in the UK.

- Food & Wine is a bit of a shock when paying in real money. It soon adds up. We bought one of the little wristlet gift cards & loaded up to take away the pain of handing over cash though. Then we could be blissfully ignorant.

Can't wait to read all about it.
-
Thanks! The Hummingbird cake will most likely be “to go”and will last me about 3 days!

Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
I don't blame you for not paying for DDP. Chance to try different places, snack at food and wine etc. We always have a great time even if we go for just a week. Always seems longer as you hit the ground running as repeat visitors. Have a fantastic holiday.
As tempted as I am to just pay for it I’m also determined not to. We have desserts because they’re included most of the time, not because we want to. I’m sure sometimes we’ll be happy with something simple. I will be mad if we come home having spent more than the £700 though .

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 18, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
MK continued

Of course the other great thing about Casey’s is

Marie looks for two things on holiday - chilli and tiramisu. So the chilli cheese fries at Casey’s are a cheap lunch. I also see they do Philly cheese steak fries so I might try them.

Snack wise you’ve got to love this

Pineapple Dole whip

And I do enjoy this

Le Fous Brews

and speaking of Gaston’s, this will easily do both of us for breakfast!

Oh and I hear you can get extra icing.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 18, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Hey there!

I'm also glad you haven't stumped up for any of the dining plans, which probably sounds crazy as we have DDP this summer, but I know you weren't supposed to be going this year without a lottery win and low and behold you are now off for a sneaky week

The Wave breakfast is one I've avoided as it's not a good choice on DDP as it's cheap but now you have the luxury of eating what you want when you want and not feeling like you need to pick steak every time. I know we all say (me included) that we don't just try to make the DDP worth it but I know that we would not be getting all the frappe drinks from Starbucks if it weren't for DDP and I kind of think it wouldn't ruin the holiday if we didn't have a 'free' iced coffee. I say all this as fully paid up member of the 'i love DDP fan club!'

Anyway, I feel as a full on DDP dibber you are forging ahead where many of us wish we could follow...So it will be really interesting to see how much you end up spending. I'm sure whatever happens with the spends you and Marie will have an amazing time.

Oh, and I've just seen you are down to double digits woo hoo.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 18, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Hey there!

I'm also glad you haven't stumped up for any of the dining plans, which probably sounds crazy as we have DDP this summer, but I know you weren't supposed to be going this year without a lottery win and low and behold you are now off for a sneaky week

The Wave breakfast is one I've avoided as it's not a good choice on DDP as it's cheap but now you have the luxury of eating what you want when you want and not feeling like you need to pick steak every time. I know we all say (me included) that we don't just try to make the DDP worth it but I know that we would not be getting all the frappe drinks from Starbucks if it weren't for DDP and I kind of think it wouldn't ruin the holiday if we didn't have a 'free' iced coffee. I say all this as fully paid up member of the 'i love DDP fan club!'

Anyway, I feel as a full on DDP dibber you are forging ahead where many of us wish we could follow...So it will be really interesting to see how much you end up spending. I'm sure whatever happens with the spends you and Marie will have an amazing time.

Oh, and I've just seen you are down to double digits woo hoo.
Oh I absolutely agree. We definitely choose restaurants because of their value on DDP. I know signatures are not great value but you also wouldn’t pay $50 for a steak if you were paying OOP!

The costs will be interesting to see but I’ll need to be very vigilant keeping all my receipts!

And yes I’ve hit double digits

Trip Report Index
Old 16 Jun 18, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Animal Kingdom

I've already mentioned Yak & Yeti and as it's a favourite of ours and since we have 2 Landry birthday rewards we may very well go for lunch here as well as dinner.

There's also the option of the Rainforest Café. Now we've had some nice meals here but also not so great but that was all at the Disney Springs one. Good to know it's an option at AK if we fancy this

So last year we had a great idea to use snack credits in AK for breakfast and lunch. We were going to have this for breakfast

And this for lunch

But the Kusafiri bakery had ran our of Elephant Ear pastries (I'm assuming because of Irma) and we got hangry and went to Tusker House for breakfast instead. So this year we're hoping to get to try them.

Trip Report Index
Old 16 Jun 18, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
AK continued

I'm slightly fascinated by Satu'li Canteen but think the food is maybe just a bit too different. I know it's meant to look alien and I'm sure it tastes nice enough but generally I don't find it particularly aesthetically pleasing. I do however quite fancy the Blueberry Cream Cheese Mousse.

We might also pop in for a drink.

I am quite easy to please generally and will happily pop to Restaurantosaurus for a burger or hot dog.

Trip Report Index
Old 16 Jun 18, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hollwood Studios

Oh, DHS, how you disappoint when it comes to food. We always struggle here. We've eaten in all the table service restaurants over the years and none really stand out. I did quite like Mama Melrose but Marie wasn't impressed (she just had a relatively plain pasta dish so I blame that). Sci fi diner is a maybe but I expect we'll end up with this

We did also enjoying sharing nachos from Min & Bills Dockside Diner

I am intrigued by the Smores French Toast from Woody's Lunch Box though. Will be interested to see the reviews.

Trip Report Index
Old 16 Jun 18, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Epcot

Now I've already touched on Epcot when I mentioned Food & Wine but there are a couple of items I aim to get.

For some reason I missed out on this last year but will be looking to get it this year.

Strawberry Shortcake from Sunshine Seasons

And I'll probably get this too.

The American Dream.

Trip Report Index
Old 16 Jun 18, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Disney Springs

Ok, already mentioned Homecomin' and Daily Poutine but there are other restaurants we'd like to try. We've not yet managed Blaze Pizza or D-Luxe Burger and I'd really like to try these.

Looks like we'll need more than a week!

Trip Report Index
Old 29 Jun 18, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I’ve only just noticed this!

I’m really interested to see how you get on without dining plan. I feel like the UK system aligning with the US system will mean the end of free dining so I am already trying to plan for life without it. Like you we aren’t dessert people I like the idea of being able to have an appetiser instead.

I think I prefer your nickname for the Swalphin than mine ‘The Eyesores’. I really want to eat at Shula’s sometime.

I’ll definitely be trying the sweet potato pancakes at The Wave too.

You’ve been quite restrained with ADRs actually. I am quite impressed.

Great idea about picking up some breakfast things at Walmart. I’ll definitely get a box of those Danishes, we have breakfast booked for most days but Nik takes forever to get ready in the morning so I can have something to nibble on whilst I’m waiting. Now I’m wishing we were staying in a Deluxe as I love the idea of sitting on the balcony to start the day.

The strawberry tart from France looks divine.

Nine Dragons is especially good value for lunch.

Have you guys done Big River Grille before? We enjoyed it.

We're going to give Satu'li Canteen a go, although it has been really difficult not to book Tiffins instead. I'm not sure it's to my tastes but I do like to try new places. I am going to get the blueberry dessert just because it's photogenic haha.

I really, really need to get the strawberry shortcake from Sunshine Seasons this year. I've been lusting after it since our first trip and I keep passing it by, I just know they are going to take it away before I get around to trying it so I must do it this year.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List