Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 23 Aug 18, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Why ?
Shopping and tat aren't essentials ... food is.
It's like complaining someone isn't including the cost of petrol to the airport when they quote what flights cost them !
I don't really understand why you re moaning , the OP has some good tips they've shared
With you on just some of that.

I bought loadsa tatt on my first US visit. I bought next to none on my latest, (9th visit ) to California at Easter.
I bought loadsa Trainers, shirts, shorts etc on my early visits and none on my most recent. I compare US outlet prices with uk outlet prices, not high st.
I am agreeing that such expenditures are in no way a necessary part of a calculation on living expenses.

Not with you re the airport petrol thing. In calculating a transport cost, I weigh up transit to and from airports at both ends, car parking or not, fuel costs, overnight hotels etc. In calculating such costs, I also factor that to earn holiday money, I have to pay both NI and 40% tax on it. When saying I can save, say £500 on a certain transport option, I calculate how many hours of graft it would take me to earn it. Suddenly, a £500 saving for a few hours extra traveling time becomes very attractive indeed!
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Burgmeister View Post
So your $2 bill was actually $31 ($2 plus cost of voucher)?

Don't the Landry's cards cost $25 each? Your posting implies that you get $50 worth of vouchers with each card. Have I understood that correctly?

Well done with your vouchering - how much do you think you saved overall when taking in to account cost of vouchers and the voucher that didn't work?
You don't lose the Restaurant.com voucher you can exchange it for another place. I often do this depending on where we are visiting
greekgranny is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
hellin family
Dibbing with Tink

Hi all, sorry if I confused. We did buy some stuff in the Disney Character outlet shop in the mall (from our $100 a day budget) the other stuff on the credit card was about $100 but wasn't souvenirs it was DH picking up some stuff he'd planned ahead (some Hilfiger sunglasses, and golf stuff) so not essential in the budget planning as such.

We never felt stretched (admittedly as we knew we had the credit card if we needed it) but we managed to stick to budget. Being in the villa for some of the holiday helped. We also ate without vouchers at fast food places like McDs, Panda Express and Taco Bell.

The intention of the post was just to say don't be disheartened if you don't save all you planned to for spends! It can be done and enjoyed without hundreds of dollars a day. When we went as a couple pre children our budget was $200 a day (now severely diminished! haha) but still very doable if you plan a bit.

I acknowledge I did spend on vouchers ahead of the trip but that was from my English money - the Hash House voucher was $29, I don't think I paid more that £8 each from memory on the others.

Hope it helps,

Wendy

Wendy, Jake and Lillie x

Dec 2005 New York and Florida honeymoon, Grand Reserve
Dec 2006 Anniversary Trip, Grand Reserve, Davenport
Dec 2010 Jake's first trip, Glenbrook
Jan 2011 Lillie's first trip, Windsor Palms
Feb 2013 Jake and Lillie's Grand Adventures, Florida Pines
Oct 2014 Disneys All Stars Music Resort
hellin family is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey99
Helping Mickey

mickey99's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
we survived on well under $100 a day and ate well we went with plenty of money off vouchers and freebies from the email clubs. The millers free zingers is a good one and you can also get a free flatbread also on the receipts you can sign in nad do a review takes 2 mins and get extra money off coupons
mickey99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
mcowan77
Getting Excited

Good to hear.. heading in october with 2 adults and 3 kids!

I have hash house vouchers.. can you combine these with kids eat free?

Also what cicis wouldnt take your groupon?.. i have these aswell

Thanks
mcowan77 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
stephy
Imagineer

Mobile

Brilliant. Thanks for sharing
stephy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey99
Helping Mickey

mickey99's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
with cici's you can use the bogof from the voucher books and kids eat free card
mickey99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

How do the Landry cards work? I am going in June next year for a birthday present and going to both trex and rainforest cafe.
Just trying to work out if it’s worth it. Did email them but they haven’t replied
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
marc7
Excited about Disney

cisi,s is always in voucher books think its about $12 for 2 adults with large drinks
Poinciana villa 2019
marc7 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by hellin family View Post
Hi all

For anyone concerned about budgeting for spends, we just returned from a fabulous 3 weeks in Florida. Our budget was $100 a day. Here's who we are and how we did it.

Family of four, DS 11 and DD 7. DS always orders from adult menu, DD from kids. We are not drinkers, so only ever soft drinks bought.

We stayed in a villa for the first 16 nts, then went to St Pete's beach in a hotel, room only, for two nights, then finished with the most lovely stay at Loews Royal Pacific resort (club level).

The children took their own money - they were up to $215 each when we went, so they bought their own toys, souvenirs, but not treats snacks ice cream - we got that.

We hammered vouchers before we went:
2 x Landrys cards, one each. We used $50 dollars off (by splitting the bill and each using welcome reward) at Rainforest cafe, making the bill for four of us about $22 dollars plus tip. Second $50 off at T Rex cafe making bill about $28 plus tip.

2 x groupon vouchers for CiCis pizza buffet so we had 2 visits here within the three weeks - these were under $10 each to buy as I took advantage of extra discount offers with groupon. Our groupon was only valid at one Cici's which we wouldn't visit again unfortunately.

2 x Smashburger $20 off coupons, again had discounted groupons so cost me about £6 each. We loved smashburger - would go again. After the voucher came off we paid about $14 for the four of us to eat. Very close to Universal.

1 x $25 dollars off for the Freckled Finn at Holmes beach. Cost after voucher was about $28.

1 x $50 voucher for Hash House A Go Go on I drive - we've been before and love it. Cost after voucher was an incredible $2 plus tip.

We had a restaurant.com voucher for My french cafe. The owner did not accept it. Grrrrrr. Only voucher fail though. DH admitted I did very well with my vouchers!

We also had a character breakfast at Tusker House in AK (approx $130 from memory) and ate at Sci Fi Diner in Hollywood Studios (approx $100).

We had breakfast in villa, and some lunches in villa, although we always had something in the park when we went - like corn dogs/chips at Casey's corner. Lots of snacks, ice cream, Voo Doo donuts at Universal.

When we stayed at Loews it was club level so a free continental breakfast, free drinks all day, snacks at lunch, light evening meal and we found that really saved us loads in our last three days.

Hope that helps anyone planning their budgets. Any mall shopping (we didn't do much) we put on CC but I'd say only about $100.

Highs and Lows to follow seperatly

Shame about Cicis, they are now showing 8 places to use voucher.
Hope it continues 'till Feb!
greekgranny is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List