Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 20 Aug 19, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

OKW- is a Car a must?

Hi All

Just wondering if you stay here, do you need a car. Ideally we would like to not have a car for next years planned trip( Hubby always drives normally) Ive been looking at you tube videos and OKW looks lovely. It looks quite relaxing which would suit us but a bit worried if we don't have a car that walking from A to B may be a trek.

I don't want to be restricted if we don't have a car. Is it easy to get to Disney Springs and also are the buses reliable and get you to the parks in time for early morning hours etc..? Any advice recommended.

I am looking to book a short trip for next July after DDs A levels and want a non car option. Just a fly and relax with a few parks thrown in. Looking at OKW or CSR and the new tower and a bit undecided but swaying towards OKW. We have only ever stayed onsite once and that was at Beach Club but thats a bit to pricey for this planned holiday. It would be my first choice otherwise.

Thanks all
Old 20 Aug 19, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We love okw, we are there next May it will be our 3rd time there. We are not hiring a car next time just Uber and Disney transport that is fine. Last time we hired a suv for 10 days with insurance and hire it was about £1000 and we only used it for 4 days out of 10 so expensive for what we wanted. We expect to pay about $200 in uber cost next time so a big savings.
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post

We are staying there next April and it hadn't crossed my mind that we would need a car. The resorts that are spread out have more than one bus stop so I am sure nowhere is too far to walk. I haven't stayed here before but have never had any trouble with Disney transport.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Jimsdadhalifax
Very Serious Dibber

No you dont. The bus service at OKW is very good - you also have the ferry to Disney Springs.

The resort is big but just choose an area near the main pool. If you end up somewhere far away, you can use the buses (they go around the resort and stop at the lobby last if i remember correctly)

We have stayed at CSR and OKW - both excellent resorts. I preferred the main pool at CSR but the rooms were nicer at OKW (we weren't in the new tower though)
Jimsdadhalifax is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
eeyoremad
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We went to okw at the end of last year. We got a car for a couple of days but that was to go to tampa.
The buses are good, there is also a nice boat to disney springs. You wont need a car.
eeyoremad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
clwil02
Dibbing with Tink

We stayed at OKW with a car this year and have agreed that next time we want to stay there again and wouldn't bother hiring a car. Partly, this is because WDW intend to introduce a parking charge at their resorts next year for UK guests.

However, the buses are really good with multiple stops around the resort, and the app was really accurate as to when the next one was due to arrive. It also allowed us to relax and have a drink with a meal if we wanted to.

On the occasions we want to go to Target, or the outlets an uber wouldn't have worked out that expensive so we're probably going to do that next time and save the money on car hire.

It's a beautiful resort - enjoy!
Old 20 Aug 19, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Mobile

Stayed with and without car. Buses were really good, and can be used to get round resort too (hence our stay without a car there too...we just hired for 2 days to go off-site shopping). Beautiful relaxing resort with spacious rooms.
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
disney20042012
Imagineer

We stayed for 2 weeks and didn't need a car. The buses were great and the boat to DS was fine as well.
Hard Rock Hotel, Royal Pacific Resort
Endless Summer Dockside, Pop Century, Polynesian Resort.
disney20042012 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

We have stayed at OKW 5 times and we always have a car but we like to go out to shops, play golf at other resorts,visit some national parks etc. if you plan to stay in the Disney bubble then there is no need to have a car. Buses are great and boat to DS as others have said. OKW is easy walkable from all parts to HH 12/15 mins and remember there are 4 pools to cover the different areas.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
We've had 2 stays there, one with a car and one without.

You don't need one, but it comes down to what plans you might have and your preferences. If you're going to be venturing out of Disney a few times during your stay then you might prefer to have a car (be aware of the hotel parking costs that come into play next year). If not then I'd be inclined to say you won't need a car.

When we stay offsite I do all the driving so for onsite stays I like the fact that I can rely on the Disney transport and have a drink with dinner etc.
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List