Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Aug 20, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I didn't think they could appeal if the final result was less than the teacher's assessment?

I thought you could only appeal if the final result was less than the mock exam result.

Unless, of course, you are saying the teachers assessment was the same as the mock exam results?
The appeal part that is connected with mocks is still awaiting guidance (according to south today news at lunchtime).

The CAG part for us has to be in by 9am Monday morning.
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TinksandFlynn View Post
Just signed the petition on the NUS website to ask the government to rethink all this mess. Don’t know what good it will do but at least I feel like I’m doing something...
Me too. Sign away people...
Old 13 Aug 20, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
DD's teachers assessment was for BBB.
DD's first choice required BBC. DD's second choice required BCC.
DD got CCC.

Thankfully, her first choice uni changed her offer to an unconditional offer this morning so she got into the uni she wanted and on the course she wanted (BioVet Science).

So although she was a bit upset over her grades, and expected to get higher than she got, she did get into the uni she wanted. But I appreciate we were lucky.
Oh Wow! what a rollercoaster of emotions. Glad your DD has her place on the course. Unconditional offers are a blessing for some students today.
Old 13 Aug 20, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by tinytots View Post
Oh Wow! what a rollercoaster of emotions. Glad your DD has her place on the course. Unconditional offers are a blessing for some students today.
Thankfully, the actual chain of events was that DD found out she'd got into the uni she wanted before she found out what her grades were.

So there was annoyance and stress that the UCAS website had crashed, happiness and relief when she realised she'd got an email accepting her to her Uni, then sadness and a bit of annoyance when she finally discovered she'd got lower grades than she hoped and lower than her teachers assessment.

Then she went off to the pub's beer garden with her friends for a couple of gins (whilst maintaining social distance).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
MOUSEMARSH
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by tinytots View Post
It certainly was for us and DS😁

If I added it all up I probably could have bought a 4 Bed Detached House
MOUSEMARSH is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

Well done to all that achieved their goals you deserved it. As for the others who were downgraded I hope you your family and friends fight for the results to be amended .
This government are a disgrace. They are letting down our young people. They don’t trust teachers and instead bring out a triple lock.
The choice is a downgraded teacher assessment. A mock result which most children don’t take serious, some are given these papers in advance whilst other kids are still in the middle of the syllabus and not covered part of the exam. The 3rd choice is resit exam and considering they children are not sure when and how school will open plus all the missed schooling from March how would they prepare for an October exam which needs to be finalised on appeal.
I look forward to the data released on which schools and areas were downgraded and which areas are upgraded. I wouldn’t be surprised to find Tory heartlands treated differently from others. All children should of been given their teacher assessment marks. I think this year of Covid was a great time for the government and nation to show how much it cares for the children of the future. Instead they are creating a situation of missed opportunities and pain for those forgotten children.
I hope the secretary of education realises his mistake and overturns such a tragic policy.
When asked this afternoon if pupils waiting fir gcse results will face the same pain. He replied yes. Disgraceful.

Edited at 05:46 PM.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

This makes interesting reading and shows the divide within our country stretches to innocent children defined by postcode and privilege.

theguardian/educatio...-the-algorithm
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
deeley
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m dreading DS gcses result day now...anxious already having seen the mess today.
I should have had a rant at Gavin when he walked past my house this weekend!
Covid cancelled Aug 2020!
Back to NYC Dec 22
deeley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
windsor_hills
Imagineer

My children are not directly affected right now as this year isnt an exam year in our household, but I’m still absolutely livid at the way our young people have been treated throughout all this. I know these are unprecedented times, but the way all of this has been handled is an utter disgrace. How on Earth have they come up with some of the grades given they are so different from mocks or teacher assessments?

Unfortunately I feel like this is the tip of iceberg, what with gcse results next week and then students next year trying to take exams after missing so much of their education. I really feel for our young people, I really do.

Anyway, Apologies for ranting and thanks for letting me vent.

To all of you who have got the grades you needed, well done, you deserve it, and should be super proud of yourselves. To those that haven’t quite got what you needed or were hoping for, I am sure things will work out for you, whether that be via making an appeal or taking a different route... but you will get there and you are still amazing, despite this bump in the road. Best of luck to you all.
windsor_hills is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

We aren’t affected, however have spoken to mum today and wow there are some huge problems. Some have gone to a U, despite that being no where near their teacher given grade, so there are some atrocious **** ups along the line!

Sorry for all those who didn’t get the grades they were hoping for! Let’s hope sense prevails and this mess gets sorted.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List