Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Oct 20, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post

I speak from personal (indirect) experience.
Please go and see your GP as you would with anything which is affecting your life on a daily basis, as this obviously is and get some support before it takes over even more of your life. Think of it as separate from you, if that makes sense, exactly as it would be if you had any other illness. I’m guessing that you wouldn’t worry about seeking treatment in that case, so please don’t let the stigma associated with mental health issues stop you from doing it.
Good luck.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Mobile

As others have said, please get some help from GP as it can be a slippery slope.
Sending big hugs 🤗 take care of yourself Xx
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
GrumpyDopey&Me
Imagineer

GrumpyDopey&Me's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I have A&D and I’ve been on medication for 7 years. It took a long time for me to find one that works I don’t fair well with SSR and need tricyclic medication so it can take a while to get sorted as all trial and error but it’s worth the battle as I am now “better”, I need the medication and will probably be on it for the rest of my life but the way I see it is the A&D is where my brain is a little off and the medication sets is straight. If I had diabetes I would take medication, if I had cancer I would have the treatment require. So I take the treatment required.

Edited at 10:28 AM.
GrumpyDopey&Me is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I have a family member who has recently experienced severe anxiety, a couple of things that he did that he found really helpful and that you can do whilst you wait for a Dr’s appointment is find an app that deals with breathing. We found the Calm app was great (however there are many others and you need to find one that you relate to.) The Dr suggested this as a way to calm your heart rate (increased heart rate increases the anxious feelings) when you are starting to feel out of control, also if you are concentrating on breathing then there is no space for the stressful thoughts. He also suggested keeping busy, so if you like to bake then get in the kitchen, if you like to garden then get your wellies on and get outside. Doing these activities is to keep your mind busy and distract from those thoughts.

The things I suggested won’t fix the underlying issues but it may be helpful until you can get professional help. Please take care of yourself and I am so pleased that you have reached out, that really is the first step. Take care xxx
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
SmilingSammie
VIP Dibber

I feel like some aspects of your post i could have written myself!

I've been on anti depressants now for a few years. Recently had a really down episode which has caused me to start therapy. I have my first session next week and im weirdly really looking forward to it.

There is NOTHING wrong with seeking help. Going on anti depressants is NOT a bad thing. If you have a headache you take painkillers. It's the same thing.
I strongly suggest reaching out, it will help in the long run.

My First Ever Pre-Trip Report - Sept 2015
My 2nd Pre-Trip Report! - Sept 2016
My Orlando 2019 Trip Report
My Orlando Feb 2022 Trip Report
DLP - May 2013, May 2018
Florida - 1998, 2000, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SmilingSammie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
g1970
Imagineer

g1970's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
There is no shame in coming to the realisation you need help to deal with mental health issues.

I started to suffer really badly with anxiety 18 months ago. The doctor called it 'catastrophising' situations and prescribed me Citalopram

I wont lie - the first few days on it I felt like a total zombie but after that I felt 'normal' again and it had been such a long time since I'd felt that way.

I'm still on it and don't know how I'd have coped with this year without it to be honest.
g1970 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
My friend once said to me when I was battling really bad anxiety, 'Rach, you don't feel embarrassed or ashamed that you take medication to make your heart feel better do you? So why are you embarrassed to take medication to make your brain feel better? What's the difference?' Really did make me think!

Be kind to yourself, there is no shame in seeking help, i felt so much better for it x

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Daisyduck07
New Poster (2)

Mobile

Thanks to everyone that has taken the time to reply, I really appreciate it. I know I shouldn’t be ashamed to admit I need help but for some reason it does feel like I’m a failure even though I by no means judge others who feel the same. I have had CBT therapy in the past which did help but unfortunately it was in the week and I’m not allowed the time off work for it. I can’t afford to go private either. I would much prefer this to tablets but never mind. I will look in to the apps people have suggested. It’s difficult at the moment because when I’m feeling so low I just can’t imagine how breathing and things will get me out of the anxiety. I’m prepared to give anything a go though. We’ve just been on a caravan holiday with some family and I struggled to keep it together for the week, I really couldn’t even pretend to be happy and I know they think I’m a miserable cow. I just want to feel better to be honest.
Daisyduck07 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List