Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 23 Jan 20, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

*bump*

i've has the anova cooking stuff almost constantly the last couple of months. since i discovered our local butcher does beef shortrib and shin and other great cuts that take an eternity to cook properly, it's pretty much all i do now! (unless its going in a stew/curry)

so i'm going away with friends to a cottage this weekend, i'm doing 3-day cooked shortrib for 6-10 people. a couple of these have been seasoned, vacuum sealed and thrown in the water bath at 144°f

then, tomorrow, i'm gonna go get a bunch of veg to go with it to roast. when i get to the cottage, all i need to do is (stick the veg on) then take the meat out of the bags, chuck on a tray and stuck in the oven on full for half an hour to brown and bring back up to temperature

finally using the liquid from the meat bags to make the gravy.

obviously i dont have photos of the final product yet (they are still in the bath!) but i did the same thing for christmas dinner... cook shortribs in advance, then stash in the fridge, and on xmas eve stick a turkey crown in the water bath overnight, so all i had to do on xmas day was all the veg and just a quick blast in the oven at the end. i'm never doing "traditional" christmas dinner ever again, it took all the stress out!

wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
ok, first attempt at steak last week. used a decent enough 30 day aged ribeye from lidl (or maybe aldi)

added salt, pepper and a bit of crushed garlic to both, and a bit of steak rub to mine... also did a bunch of sweet peppers and mini portobello mushrooms with butter and garlic in another bag...

cooked at 135 degrees for around 2.5 hours...

finished article looks quite grey, so to add a bit of colour, they were pan seared in some butter for around a minute per side...

served with caramelised fried onions and crinkle cut chips, using some of the garlic butter from the sous vide vegetables bag as a "sauce" on the chips

absolutely beautiful. next time i'll be doing a really cheap steak for several hours, see how that turns out.
We finish steaks (and some other meats) off in the pan to caramelise the outside. Makes a big difference,
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

so i's been a while since ive posted about this, but i had to say how AMAZING my recent steak was...

it was my birthday last week, so i went out and bought a couple of gorgeous ribeyes from the snobby butcher in nottingham out of his himalayan pink salt fridge, where meat sits dry aging to perfection!

but i only got the standard ones rather than one of the 60 day beef...check out these bad boys!

anyway. season with salt and pepper, leave uncovered on a rack in the fridge overnight, bag up and stick in the water bath at 135f for ~2 hours. remove, pat dry and then in a 500f cast iron pan for 2 mins per side. serve with bacon fat sauteed green beans and garlic and herb wedges. oh, and a slice of johnny's finest black pudding!

wow. i'll be doing this again in a couple of weeks time, another cottage trip with friends... but we're going for the dry aged stuff this time. sous vide them before we go away, then keep in the fridge until needed and just sear them to warm them back through. perfect medium rare steak!

wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

I used to love Vesta beef curry.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
I used to love Vesta beef curry.
wasnt that dried/powdered, like a pot noodle rather than boil in the bag?
Old 5 Oct 20, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

wasnt that dried/powdered, like a pot noodle rather than boil in the bag?
There was a boil in the bag curry, and the rice was in a different bag with holes in it to let the water in. Might not have been Vesta though !

ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Looks good Wanye. I’m in a Kamado and Sous Vide Facebook group for my Kamado and have often thought about making a jump into SV as well.
I’d have loved to have got a good reverse sear going on those ribeyes- look fantastic.

Edited at 12:32 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Looks good Wanye. I’m in a Kamado and Sous Vide Facebook group for my Kamado and have often thought about making a jump into SV as well.
I’d have loved to have got a good reverse sear going on those ribeyes- look fantastic.
which groups? i'm probably a member too :p

i've seared on my kamado in the past, but its a bit of a faff getting it all started and heated up just to sear two steaks.

buying that though, my ooni koda 16 should arrive soon, i'll definitely be using that for finishing them!

as for SV. it's changed my game completely. consistently professional results and some of the best meat you will ever cook. dry meat is a thing of the past (which is good with things like chicken breast - its way too easy to mess them up) - i cook with mine at least once a week (as well as using it to make chocolates)

Edited at 12:44 PM.
Old 5 Oct 20, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
There was a boil in the bag curry, and the rice was in a different bag with holes in it to let the water in. Might not have been Vesta though !

maybe its the chow mein i was thinking of then?
Old 5 Oct 20, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

which groups? i'm probably a member too :p

i've seared on my kamado in the past, but its a bit of a faff getting it all started and heated up just to sear two steaks.

buying that though, my ooni koda 16 should arrive soon, i'll definitely be using that for finishing them!

as for SV. it's changed my game completely. consistently professional results and some of the best meat you will ever cook. dry meat is a thing of the past (which is good with things like chicken breast - its way too easy to mess them up) - i cook with mine at least once a week (as well as using it to make chocolates)
Kamado and Sous Vide group it’s called although just changed it’s name.

I’d reverse sear those ribeyes- low and slow until you bring them up to approaching temp. Then take them off and wrap whilst you jam open the vents- temp on Kamado then jumps to 600 ish very quickly, then get those steaks on for a couple of minutes a side with deflectors out.