Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 2 Nov 19, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Gabblemum
VIP Dibber

Keys to Miami Airport, when would you leave

We are going on a cruise next year to/from Fort Lauderdale so we are staying in Fort Lauderdale for 3 night before we Cruise. Then have 3 nights after disembarkation and I really want to hire a car and goto Key West.

Anything you lovely Dibbers have to say / suggest around any of this is always gratefully received.

But my burning question is do we do 2 nights key west and last night closer to Miami. Or do all 3 nights in key west? The reason I want to know is I have read on a couple of posts that if there is an accident on the road along the Keys you can be stuck for hours?

Our Flight is 6pm Miami so what would you do?
Orlando. 2013. Royal Pacific Resort & Villa
Orlando. 2015. Royal Pacific Resort, Animal Kingdon & Villa
Disneyland Paris 2016. Sequoia Lodge - Golden forest Room.

Gabblemum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
alexisemma31
Imagineer

I would stay in Key West for the 3 nights, it is a fantastic place and there's loads to see and do.
Old 2 Nov 19, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I would do 2 nights in the keys and the last night at Key Largo.

You could have a slow drive up mid afternoon and do lots of stops on the way.

Im not sure id want to risk being stuck!
katiec68 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
June8th
Apprentice Imagineer

It took us 6 hours to drive from Key West to Miami, the road was a tailback the whole way. I would spend two nights in Key West and one closer.
June8th is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Alibayparc
VIP Dibber

Hi
Definitely Only 2 nights in Key West. A good few years back returning from key west to Kissimmee, left KW at about 9:00am got halfway across , think it was called Long Key viaduct, traffic ground to a halt. LNG tanker had overturned just at the start of the bridge and no way round it. We eventually got to Key Largo around 10:30pm, car running on fumes and had to find a place to stay as we were so knackered with all the stress. If was funny at the start as the beach chairs, barbecues etc came out the cars and people settled down.
Alibayparc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Raggyavn
slightly serious Dibber

Have to agree with only 2 nights in key West and then either a night at the top of the Keys or Miami/FL area.

You may have no problem getting off the keys, but there again as others have said, it can all go pear shaped very quickly.
Raggyavn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Gabblemum
VIP Dibber

Thanks all that’s exactly what I thought. I really want as long as possible in key west but think I will take the grown up option😶.
I am sure there will be so much to do that I will just have to come back again !

Bar B Q’s and Deckchairs suggest they are more than use to and prepared for these delays.
Orlando. 2013. Royal Pacific Resort & Villa
Orlando. 2015. Royal Pacific Resort, Animal Kingdon & Villa
Disneyland Paris 2016. Sequoia Lodge - Golden forest Room.

Gabblemum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

It's been a few years, but when I think of the ride down the keys, one lane in each direction comes to mind. That means an accident can tie up traffic for hours. I wouldn't risk it.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
sandshal
Imagineer

Don't risk the run on travel day, do 2 nights in Key West and 1 much closer to the airport, its a long run on a single slow road with a huge amount of traffic round Miami/FLL area.

sandshal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
The Wards
Apprentice Imagineer

Also depends on what day of the week you are travelling back. There's a lot of traffic on a sunday anyway as a matter of course due to people travelling back to Miami for work. I would definitely have the last night in Miami to be sure.