Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 6 Jan 20, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
cac1224
New Poster (5)

Disability Pass at WDW

Hi all.. here is my situation. I have been planning my February trip for a year. Last Oct. I split from my husband. (its ok, I'm ok, I'm happy now) I changed my trip to take my niece and her BF and his 6 year old daughter. My brother decides he wants to go. He's been having a VERY hard time since my mother passed away 1.5 years ago (lung cancer). He's got severe anxiety disorder, Severe diabetes. He tried to commit suicide in November. This was attempt #2. It's been devastating for my family, especially my 74 year old father. Fast forward to now. Brother is home and just started back to work - DR felt it was better for him to get back into a routine. Brother is going to Disney with us - my concern is his anxiety and waiting in the lines. He won't be able to do it. I want him to enjoy the parks. Now I hear there is a Disability pass the parks offer. Will my brother be qualified for this pass? What do I need to bring to prove he's got issues. Any input will be appreciated. I am not trying to get something for nothing - I just want my brother to relax and have a great time.
cac1224 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by cac1224 View Post
Hi all.. here is my situation. I have been planning my February trip for a year. Last Oct. I split from my husband. (its ok, I'm ok, I'm happy now) I changed my trip to take my niece and her BF and his 6-year-old daughter. My brother decides he wants to go. He's been having a VERY hard time since my mother passed away 1.5 years ago (lung cancer). He's got severe anxiety disorder, Severe diabetes. He tried to commit suicide in November. This was attempt #2. It's been devastating for my family, especially my 74-year-old father. Fast forward to now. Brother is home and just started back to work - DR felt it was better for him to get back into a routine. Brother is going to Disney with us - my concern is his anxiety and waiting in the lines. He won't be able to do it. I want him to enjoy the parks. Now I hear there is a Disability pass the parks offer. Will my brother be qualified for this pass? What do I need to bring to prove he's got issues. Any input will be appreciated. I am not trying to get something for anything - I just want my brother to relax and have a great time.
simply go to one of the customer service centres in the park and request a DAS pass, giving your reasons why. This will not give you automatic and immediate access, they will give you a return time in line with the current standby time. You then return and use. The person holding the DAS pass MUST be on the ride otherwise it cannot be used. You will be able to use FPs as well which will help with the queuing. I too have a DAS pass when we go, but whilst it alleviates some of the queuing it does not mean you simply walk on.

Also, not sure where you are flying from, but LGW and others I believe, offer hidden disability lanyards which can aid the airport experience
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

have a look at the special needs section of this forum, it's all there

you don't need to bring anything, CMs are not allowed to read medical papers or doctors notes

you need to all go to guest relations, have your brother or a guardian explain why the DAS system would be beneficial

if issued, you will received return times (kindof fastpasses) so you can wait outside the lines
when the time has come, you'll use the fastpass lines, but you will still need to wait as if it was a fastpass (shorter line, but line nonetheless) as well as wait outside the line for a time that's roughly the standby time minus 10 minutes

you can only get one return appointment at a time
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post

I do not know about DAS and who qualifies for it. But if he does not get one for any reason, if you use the FP system well, the queuing can be minimised anyway. I doubt we spend much more than 5-10 minutes queuing for each ride.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
cac1224
New Poster (5)

I didn't even think of the airport! We fly out of Boston Logan. Thanks for the tip. This is all new to me - and my mother would of handled it all if she was here. I am trying to fill some very big shoes.
Old 6 Jan 20, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

With the new system for DAS its very hard to say yes or no. It depends on the cast member you get. He will also need to give the reasons why himself unless you are his official carer. Its only a few minutes of questions, but they do try to persuade you now to do alternative options, unless you really stick with asking for a DAS.

Others may help with this though. Doesnt question 1 for the Esta require to you say yes to suicide attempts as its classified as a mental disorder, which basically rejects your application. Also state this on any travel insurance.

Getting back to DAS. Im sure he will get it, and the new system is far fairer to everyone. Basically its a virtual queue and you get a return time. Anyone in the party can request a return time, but the holder has to be the first person to enter the ride to validate the pass. You can only have one pass at any time but this doesnt have any effect on any FPs you already have. If the queue is less than 20 minutes, you get instant entry.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
cac1224
New Poster (5)

Thank you. I think he will be OK at the airport. I like the idea of the return times for the rides I think that will work well for us. It will be me speaking with the CM's for the pass - he will be with me, but he won't tell his story. We have a long road ahead of us.
Old 6 Jan 20, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
DreamsOfOrlando
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I highly recommend getting a DAS. I have generalised and social anxiety and panic disorder. When we went to Orlando in Feb, we went straight to the help desk in MK on our first day. I was super nervous about talking to the CM (so I can completely see where your brother is coming from!) but she was lovely. I literally said that I have the above and I’ve heard of the DAS and really think it would benefit me and she said yes the DAS would be perfect for me and added it to mine and my DH’s passes with no hesitation I took paperwork as proof but wasn’t asked for it and I read online before that they aren’t allowed to ask for it anyway. As others have said above, it doesn’t let you skip the queue automatically, you have a return time and then you join the FP line at that return time. You can do one at a time and also have your normal FP’s. The FP line does still have a wait time of around 5-10 mins but is much better than 60+ minutes for some of the rides!
A top tip! I suggest yourself or your niece going to get the return time. You have to go to the front of the ride (although I have read a few comments on the dibb recently that say you can get return times from “booths” dotted around the park but unsure if that was a permanent thing). Once at the front of the ride you go to the CM standing near the entrance and they’ll scan your magic band/pass and add the return time to your account and tell you when you can come back. I found this super helpful as I could find a seat in the shade somewhere and have a little break from the noise whilst DH went to get the return time for us.
I really think it would benefit your brother
Also, if you are planning on going to Universal then they do a very similar pass to the DAS, and like Disney I just explained my situation and they issued me a pass and then I would be given a return time for a ride.
I hope you all have a wonderful holiday and your brother is able to enjoy the Disney magic! I’m terrible with my anxiety in any place, whether it’s a shop or a restaurant etc, but in Disney it’s completely different! I feel so “safe” in the bubble - I hope your brother will feel the same! Xxx
May 2020 - CSR and HRH - DH 30th - Covid Cancelled!
February 2022 - Holiday Inn LBV, HRH and Pop - 21 Nights
DreamsOfOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
cac1224
New Poster (5)

your post made me feel so much better. Thank you!
Old 16 Jan 20, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
cac1224
New Poster (5)

where is the special needs section?