Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Feb 21, 02:16 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post
You aren't weird at all
We stay in hotels usually a suite like Homewood, Residence Inns and Staybridge suites with a full kitchen , shop at Aldi and make our own sandwiches and fairly often dinner
We probably eat out three / four times the whole holiday
We find a lot of US food very salty probably because we never add salt at home
We take instant coffee as DH won't drink filtered and take our own water bottles instead of buying drinks
I don't like ice cream or a lot of dairy heavy food so its not something we would have as a dessert neither do we drink much alcohol ( we sound really boring , but as we have got older our tastes have changed )
Hi SB, salty food is a no-no for us too, I neither cook with or put salt on food. We were given a piece of Perkins pie and had to remove the pastry as it was terribly salty. Bought some ready made pastry, just once, luckily I tried a taste afore using and promptly binned the pastry. We also take 1kg of L'Or decaf but still run out as we have coffee in the morn and iced coffee around 5pm, the filter machined coffee isn't at 'scad yer gob' temps per the boiled kettle
Old 23 Feb 21, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hi SB, salty food is a no-no for us too, I neither cook with or put salt on food. We were given a piece of Perkins pie and had to remove the pastry as it was terribly salty. Bought some ready made pastry, just once, luckily I tried a taste afore using and promptly binned the pastry. We also take 1kg of L'Or decaf but still run out as we have coffee in the morn and iced coffee around 5pm, the filter machined coffee isn't at 'scad yer gob' temps per the boiled kettle
What’s wrong with you woman! Perkins pie Is the best - fresh strawberry one is to die for. Although you have to be there at the crack of dawn for that one and at around $15 it’s a rare but very indulgent treat
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 21, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Chelsea01
Excited about Disney

Bang bang chicken & shrimp & cheesecake from Cheesecake Factory.

Perkins Breakfast & there cookies to take away for later.

Orange chicken from the Malls food court.

Steak & shrimp with garlic butter & key lime pie Bahama Breeze.

Fried Chicken & seafood salad from Publix.

Lemon Dunkin Doughnuts.
Chelsea01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 21, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
What’s wrong with you woman! Perkins pie Is the best - fresh strawberry one is to die for. Although you have to be there at the crack of dawn for that one and at around $15 it’s a rare but very indulgent treat
OMG Perkins Strawberry Pie is the best! I don't salt my food either but I find the slightly salty pastry takes away the excessive sweetness , especially the cream silk type pies. It also makes that lovely crunchy pastry.

As for getting there early, we have Perkins close to the Villa so buying pie is a perfect excuse to go for a fabulous Perkins breakfast.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 21, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
It was many years ago Col, and whilst the pie was ok (nowt to write home about) the pastry was inedible.

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
OMG Perkins Strawberry Pie is the best! I don't salt my food either but I find the slightly salty pastry takes away the excessive sweetness , especially the cream silk type pies. It also makes that lovely crunchy pastry.

As for getting there early, we have Perkins close to the Villa so buying pie is a perfect excuse to go for a fabulous Perkins breakfast.
As a family we haven't cooked with salt, or put it on prepared food, for years, so that pastry, to us, was beyond salty. It's one of the reasons we don't eat out Sue, they seem to put so much salt in their food, and sugar in the desserts. Apparently there's a couple of excellent pie makers on the island but it'd be a waste if the pastry is inedible.
Old 23 Feb 21, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
I am so scared to admit this...I am probably going to get banned from the forum... I really don't actually enjoy food in the US at all. I find everything just too much. too big portions, too calorific, too much dressing and sauce. I really struggle and by the end of the holiday I end up barely eating. I know, I am weird.
We now cook most nights ourselves - mainly bbq. We can cook most of our restaurant favourites better ourselves.
We splurge out in the ingredients. Plenty of fish and have lobster a few times. We can do a vastly better meal than any restaurant for around 50% the cost. And love the flexibility. And we love doing it ourselves.
We do eat dinner out maybe 4 times in three weeks. and a few breakfasts.
But we don't really worry about the calories.

So it is more the produce we miss rather than restaurants which in our view are average. We can get much better at home.

Edited at 03:24 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 21, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
kirstya1973
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

kirstya1973's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We are missing Florida so much that I have to regularly cook boneless wings complete with sauce from Pepper Palace in Sarasota. I also do a side of Cesar salad and Key lime pie. I have just used my last bottle of sauce so need to go soon. I am missing these places;

BJ's - Pizookie
Bourbon Chicken
Olive Garden - Just for the bread and unlimited salad
Outback - for the blooming onion
to name but a few. Well as I will not be going until Next October due to this April being cancelled, I have more time to diet
Amerisuites Oct 2004, Enclaves Feb 2006, Bahama Bay Feb 2007, Mike Ditka Oct 2008, Floridays Oct 2009, Floridays May 2011, Tampa Oct 2011, Bahama Bay Oct 2013, Sheraton Vistana Resort Jul 2015, Rosen Inn @ Pointe May 2016. Holiday Inn Vacations Orange Lake Nov 2017. Texas & Florida roadtrip April 2018. Florida & New York Sep 2019, Florida Mar 2020 (NOT) Florida Sep 2020 (NOT) April 2021(NOT) October 2022
kirstya1973 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 21, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I am particularly missing:

The good chains they have. Like Outback, Longhorn, Crrabbas, Bonefish, Bahama Breeze etc.
Yak and Yeti in AK. We always enjoy that.
We can’t get decent Chinese food near us and love 9 Dragons. Yes it may be looked down on by some but we love it.
I particularly like Wave last year.
We like Columbia Harbour House quick serve.
I haven’t been a particular fan of Millers, but went to a new one up at Indian Shores last year and that was really good so I’d go back there too.
Chick Fil A
Sitting in the Japanese counter service garden at the back of Epcot is always nice. They had Kirin Black Beer as well but it was gone last time I went
I miss a nice pint of Disney overpriced Yeungling which you can’t get here or reasonably priced Yeungling everywhere else.
Also my other half’s favourite tipple!
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 21, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
DH contribution taking in to account I cook at the villa
Proper pot Roast
Meat Loaf
The variety of fish
French Dip
The variety of breakfast options from early doors ( this suits him when golfing teeing off as the sun comes up in the winter and he’s had breakfast already )
Love a french dip!
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List