Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Feb 21, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

My godson was in the army, he did 2 tours of afgan, and although he always said he saw bo action, he lost 3 good friends and never rtn'd the same person. Thank you.
Old 22 Feb 21, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by colin39 View Post
My godson was in the army, he did 2 tours of afgan, and although he always said he saw bo action, he lost 3 good friends and never rtn'd the same person. Thank you.
I have two older sons.
1 did 16 years in the REME and stupidly left as a Sgt because his wife told him to. He did 1 Iraq and 2 Afghanistan’s.

The other did 12 in the REME and then transferred to the Royal Military Police where he has done a further 8 so far and is a Sgt. He did 1 Iraq and 2 Afghanistan’s. They will have to drag him out kicking and screaming as he continues to accumulate pension..available straight away after 22 years service.

Both said that their worst jobs were recovering vehicles blown up (with their occupants) by IED’s and knowing that the area in which they were working likely had secondary IED’s and/or was zeroed for a mortar strike.

I have the greatest respect for any people who put boots on the ground outside the wire in either theatre. They are real heroes.. and discarded by society the moment that they leave the mob, regardless of the psychological traumas that many have been through, serving their country whilst others have been feathering their nests at home whilst hand wringing and whining about the morality of the various actions in which these people have risked their lives for little financial reward.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:43 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 21, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
10 years ago today 185 people died in the NZ Christchurch 2011 Earthquake - 115 in the Canterbury Television Building alone.

I will never forget as I was there.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 21, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Some photos from the Earthquake - it was impossible to believe so much damage could happen so quickly.

I was in the Cathedral looking at a beautiful flower festival only a couple of days before it fell down.

The famous Carlton Hotel on Papanui - I had dinner there the evening before the earthquake - second photo shows some of the damage it is amazing to think I was sitting in there having a meal hours before

Last photo is of a restaurant that I had been to before the Earthquake" when I went back to Christchurch about a year later their original premises was still in the no-go zone and they had built this lovely place just around the corner from the pub above (which hadn't been rebuilt at that time) but you could still have a drink there as they re-opened in a shipping container with a roof terrace.

stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 21, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
You are very welcome, but let us remember that between 1977 and 1989, I didn’t even hear a car backfire in anger, despite being in Northern Ireland when the Hunger strikers died.

I was on a 2 year Cyprus tour when the Falklands kicked off.

In Germany for 3 years, the greatest risk was alcoholic poisoning.

I got to sail in the gulf, visiting Key West and New Orleans for nothing. Did my BSA open water divers course 3 times, diving in Cyprus and Sardinia and also visited Cyprus (again), Spain, France, Denmark, Belgium, Italy, Holland, Lichtenstein, Andorra, Canada (6 months), Norway (3 months x2). My total outlay for all of the above was miniscule.

My thanks go to those who fought in the Falklands, patrolled the ground in Northern Ireland, fought in either Gulf war or served in Iraq or Afghanistan where the risk were rather real.
I got lucky!
It doesn't matter that you got lucky. You were prepared to be there...

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 21, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
It doesn't matter that you got lucky. You were prepared to be there...
That is an extremely kind thought and much appreciated.

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

2011 - whilst en route from the Gulf to
HMNBDevonport for disposal, the Type 22 Frigate HMS CUMBERLAND is diverted to Libya to evacuate 454 personnel (129 Brits) fleeing the unrest. The evacuees were transported to safety in Malta.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post

2011 - whilst en route from the Gulf to
HMNBDevonport for disposal, the Type 22 Frigate HMS CUMBERLAND is diverted to Libya to evacuate 454 personnel (129 Brits) fleeing the unrest. The evacuees were transported to safety in Malta.
It was a shame to see the batch 3’s go, particularly HMS Cornwall that visited Falmouth rather regularly, as they were by all accounts very capable ships.

Chile still operates one older and less capable batch 2 and by all accounts were offered these ships at £1.5 million each. They turned them down. They did take 3 x Type 23.

Edited at 09:31 AM.
Old 24 Feb 21, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
It was a shame to see the batch 3’s go, particularly HMS Cornwall that visited Falmouth rather regularly, as they were by all accounts very capable ships.

Chile still operates one older and less capable batch 2 and by all accounts were offered these ships at £1.5 million each. They turned them down. They did take 3 x Type 23.
We need to careful to whom we sell to - 1982 was a case in point. It only seems like yesterday when the Type 23’s came into service.

I am very familiar with HMS Cornwall 😉
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
We need to careful to whom we sell to - 1982 was a case in point. It only seems like yesterday when the Type 23’s came into service.

I am very familiar with HMS Cornwall 😉
Did you know Dave Standen? He was a chief on her for many years. Friend and relative by marriage.

Edited at 09:59 AM.