Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Feb 21, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post

Working at home? Fake your commute.

I was reading an interesting article today on the BBC about how important the role of commuting is in defining work and home.life and enabling you to mentally reset.

They suggested a good option was to build a fake commute into your day. Go out to get a coffee, go for a walk or bike ride. Do it every day both ways, rain and shine. And trick your mind and i.prove your well-being.

So my previous commute was 75+ mins each way often parked on the M4 or crawling along. I hated it, but it was actually quite a useful way to get my head in the right zone.

Tomorrow morning I might take the long way to the back bedroom by walking briskly around the block. Presumably on my return commute I will have to go the other way around the block !

Do you fake a commute already? If so what do you do, or what could you do ?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty0910
Getting Excited

I think my husband has read the same article - he has just taken himself off for a walk to 'commute' home 🤣
After a year working from home he is finding it hard to switch off and hopes this will help. His journey home was definitely his decompression / separation from work.

2007 - Grand Floridian/St Pete's Beach, 2011 - Dibb Villa Champions Gate, 2014 - Dibb Villa Sunset Lakes/Miami/Naples/Anna Maria Island/Clearwater, 2016/2017 Universal Sapphire Falls, 2019 - Caribbean Beach Resort
Scotty0910 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
JaguarSkills
Proud to wear my Ears

I go litter picking every morning at 07:30 (grated I've often worked for a couple of hours before then). Get in my shorts come ice, snow, rain, sleet and walk round my local park collecting beer cans and the like. Its amazing how good all of it makes me feel. And I feel like I've massively earnt my second coffee when I come back in.
JaguarSkills is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

I tried this for weight control and it didn't work. Mentally, I knew there was no urgency to go out so after a few weeks it stopped. I will try it again though. I was walking to the station and back about 25 minutes each way.
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Robsie71
Apprentice Imagineer

We go for a walk each night when I finish work...I struggled early doors to switch off and separate work from home...never realised what a difference a 15 min drive home could make!
Robsie71 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Scotty0910 View Post
I think my husband has read the same article - he has just taken himself off for a walk to 'commute' home 🤣
After a year working from home he is finding it hard to switch off and hopes this will help. His journey home was definitely his decompression / separation from work.
I need to do this!

I'm working later and later and finding no break from being in one room and being an employee to stepping into kitchen and being a mum,cook, wife etc. That walk would give me time to align my thoughts.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
I need to do this!

I'm working later and later and finding no break from being in one room and being an employee to stepping into kitchen and being a mum,cook, wife etc. That walk would give me time to align my thoughts.
I completely agree and it was the one thing that got me down during the first lockdown. When I went back into the office before this latest lockdown, the difference in my wellbeing was huge. I also noticed the meals were more creative. But being stuck in, it was like a was despising all these different hats being lined up for me as one came off, another went on, with no breathing space. I find it draining and exhausting.
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Originally Posted by happytraveller View Post
I completely agree and it was the one thing that got me down during the first lockdown. When I went back into the office before this latest lockdown, the difference in my wellbeing was huge. I also noticed the meals were more creative. But being stuck in, it was like a was despising all these different hats being lined up for me as one came off, another went on, with no breathing space. I find it draining and exhausting.
Yes very draining. I've wfh since 18th March. I actually love it and get more done but it's the swapping hats.

Kids and DH are still going out to work or school it so feels more normal to them
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Alices Aunt
Imagineer

I used to get a train to London so 1hour 30. Which if lucky I slept and do my emails so I’m faking my commute by having an extra hour in bed. I do need to get out more and go for a walk which I was doing before winter so will start again.

It can be difficult to switch off but since Christmas I’ve been strict with myself and I’m starting to feel better for the routine. My job is unlikely to go back into the office as we have given up the space so it will be like this for the foreseeable.
Alices Aunt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 21, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
sw16
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I have been doing this since the first lockdown. I used to walk to the office and my steps went drastically down when i started wfh. Decided to get up at normal time and go for a walk anyway and it really helped wake me up and get ready for the day. Do the same most days at lunch and after work too. It is tough to get the motivation sometimes but some fresh air and screen free time make me feel a bit less trapped in the house.