Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 27 Aug 19, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

Tropical storm in the Bahamas this week(end)

We are in disney right now and due to sail on the Dream for 3 nights this weekend. It now appears very likely that there will be a tropical storm passing through the bahamas at that time. I know disney will prioritise safety etc etc and would expect nothing less. My query to the informed cruisers is this - what is likely to happen in the eventuality that the storm doesn't change course/die out? also when are we likely to be told? I am something of an overplanner (don't judge please - at times it can be useful ) but am now worried that we may end up with no cruise or (possibly worse) really rough seas and no port visits . I am mostly looking for reassurance that disney wont take us on a bumpy, miserable cruise, but also that there are plans in place in case they need to let people down with little notice. Has anyone experienced this before and can shed some light on the process/likely outcome for me? Thanks!
Merryweather17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
FindingMerida
Apprentice Imagineer

FindingMerida's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I'm not an expert (going on our 2nd cruise in October) but this weeks 7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy has been rerouted to be the Western itinerary (with the sea days switched around a bit). I think this happened only a couple of days before it set sail.

I think it's very rare for a cruise to be cancelled altogether, and this storm may still die out to not much at all by the time the weekend comes.

So hope for the best, and let Disney plan for the worst
May 2016 - DLP Newport Bay Club Oct 2016 - DIBB Villa, BLT
Jun 2017 - DIBB Villa, HRH, AKV
Mar 2018 - DLP Magic Circus Jun 2018 - DCL Magic 7 Day Med
Sep 2018 - DLP 36K Challenge Nov 2018 - DLP Sequoia Lodge at Christmas
Apr 2019 - DIBB Villa, AKV, BLT
Sep 2019 - DLP 36K Challenge
Oct 2019 - DCL Fantasy 7 day Western Caribbean
Sep 2020 - DLP 36K Challenge
FindingMerida is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by FindingMerida View Post
I'm not an expert (going on our 2nd cruise in October) but this weeks 7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy has been rerouted to be the Western itinerary (with the sea days switched around a bit). I think this happened only a couple of days before it set sail.

I think it's very rare for a cruise to be cancelled altogether, and this storm may still die out to not much at all by the time the weekend comes.

So hope for the best, and let Disney plan for the worst
We’re in fantasy, we left port Canaveral on Saturday and they announced Sunday night that we’d be changing our stops.

We were told that we’ll still be stopping at Castaway but I think that’s looking unlikely now but they probably won’t want to tell us until it’s certain. Not sure what’ll happen if we miss it, if we’ll be an extra day at sea or stop elsewhere.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

In general cruise ships don’t stay in port when storms are imminent - they sail well away from the storm and put into different ports if possible. Our only experience was in Japan on a Princess ship when our 7 day cruise turned into an 8 day cruise because two typhoons were due to cross our original path. We did two half days in port and then sailed well out into the South China Sea running away from the storms for 6 days. We called it the cruise to nowhere - the ship was half empty because Japanese passengers didn’t even board. Princess refunded our cruise fare, gave us obc and provided wine at dinner which was nice given the cruise contract says they have no liability.

Edited at 09:26 PM.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 05:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Mobile

We are on the same cruise leaving on Friday and I am wondering the same and hoping for the best.

We paid extra for a veranda this time, but it doesn't look like we will get much use out of it!

My worry is whether we will get to fly home on Monday if Orlando is impacted or if we have to stay out at sea for longer.

We are flying home from Fort Lauderdale on Monday evening. I am back to work on Wednesday.

We are flying with BA. Does anyone know what will happen if we miss our flight because of the cruise? Are we covered by our insurance?
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
onion2803
Apprentice Imagineer

We were supposed to be on a 7nt Caribbean with Disney when Irma hit, we were due to fly on Thursday and sail on Saturday - they cancelled all cruises on Wednesday - we found out at 1am our time and Virgin also moved our flight forward by a day to the Weds morning at 10.50. We had a super stressful night!

We got a full refund for cruise and 25% off our next booking but we had no accommodation and a curfew was announced beginning 9am Sunday. It was mayhem as coastal Floridians were evacuating to Orlando.

My only advice would be to stand by for cancellation (though very rare!) and have a place in mind to stay and an empty credit card to hand...Universal were some of the first hotels for offer reduced rates and our stay at Cabana Bay was fantastic! We paid $700 for a week in a suite as it was the only room left.

Got my fingers crossed that you sail!
onion2803 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer2802
Imagineer

Imagineer2802's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 27

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 74
When we were on the Fantasy, they changed our port of call after we’d set sail. There’s nothing you can do..Justin relax and cross bridges as you come to them. Disney know how important the cruise is to people and do do everything in their power to keep it top notch, even if you have to miss ports, however frustrating that may be,

2019 - August - Europe on the Magic! 17th Trip!

**~ °o° ~°o° ~ °o°~°o° ~°o° ~ °o°~**
Imagineer2802 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellesdream
slightly serious Dibber

We are off on the dream on Friday as well! First time cruisers and really nervous! I think this holiday has a curse for us at the moment!
Royal carribean have closed their island coco cay.
I'm not sure what to do at the moment, I'm also an over planner.
We're off to cabana bay on Monday for 6 nights and I'm a little worried we're docking and driving in a hurricane.
Do we just wait for DCL to contact us?
Bellesdream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer2802
Imagineer

Imagineer2802's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 27

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 74
Originally Posted by Bellesdream View Post
We are off on the dream on Friday as well! First time cruisers and really nervous! I think this holiday has a curse for us at the moment!
Royal carribean have closed their island coco cay.
I'm not sure what to do at the moment, I'm also an over planner.
We're off to cabana bay on Monday for 6 nights and I'm a little worried we're docking and driving in a hurricane.
Do we just wait for DCL to contact us?
Yes, and they will, they tend to be very good communication wise. We even got an email from them about a week before our cruise warning us of roadworks in the area so allow extra travel time.

2019 - August - Europe on the Magic! 17th Trip!

**~ °o° ~°o° ~ °o°~°o° ~°o° ~ °o°~**
Imagineer2802 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
FindingMerida
Apprentice Imagineer

FindingMerida's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
We’re in fantasy, we left port Canaveral on Saturday and they announced Sunday night that we’d be changing our stops.

We were told that we’ll still be stopping at Castaway but I think that’s looking unlikely now but they probably won’t want to tell us until it’s certain. Not sure what’ll happen if we miss it, if we’ll be an extra day at sea or stop elsewhere.
I didn't realise you had already set sail!
I hope you are enjoying your cruise, even though it's not what you expected to be doing Please come back after the weekend and let us know how you got on and how DCL handled everything!
May 2016 - DLP Newport Bay Club Oct 2016 - DIBB Villa, BLT
Jun 2017 - DIBB Villa, HRH, AKV
Mar 2018 - DLP Magic Circus Jun 2018 - DCL Magic 7 Day Med
Sep 2018 - DLP 36K Challenge Nov 2018 - DLP Sequoia Lodge at Christmas
Apr 2019 - DIBB Villa, AKV, BLT
Sep 2019 - DLP 36K Challenge
Oct 2019 - DCL Fantasy 7 day Western Caribbean
Sep 2020 - DLP 36K Challenge
FindingMerida is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List