Notices

Old 21 Oct 20, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Firekat
VIP Dibber

What is your workplace doing if you need to get a test?

On Sunday 11 October my work collegue text me to let me know she wasn't feeling well and had got tested for Covid.

When I came in to work on Monday I was informed that she had received her result that morning and it was positive.

We work in a small office together, just the 2 of us at the moment as our manager is working from home due to none covid related illness.
While our desks are over 2M apart we hadn't been wearing masks while in the office. So I checked the NHS website to see what I should do. As I had no symptoms it said I didn't need to get tested or isolate unless contacted and instructed to do so by Track and Trace. So I carried on with my work.

About an hour later the MD called me and said he thinks it would be best if I went home and got tested. I understand his thinking and that other staff would feel less anxious if I did this. So I went home, tried to get a test and found I should only get tested if I had symptoms. Knowing the MD wouldn't be happy if I returned to work without being tested I lied on the form saying I had symptoms in order to get a test
There were still over 40 tests available at my local test centre for that day so I didn't feel like I was taking resource from someone who did have sypmtoms.
I went and did the test informing the MD that I would let him know when I had the result.

I kept myself isolated in the house and waited for the result. Over 48 hours later I had the result and it was negative and said I could return to work, which I did the very next day.

Now I have been asked by my manager if I want to take it as sick or holiday. The sick pay we have is basic statutory sick, so I have taken it as holiday.

I know this has come from the MD, not my manager. The MD is currently isolating as his daughter has tested positive.

Feeling really annoyed as it was him who wanted me to go home and get tested, so I'd assumed I would be paid as normal unless I tested positive in which case I'd have been isolating on sick pay.

Was I expecting too much?

What is the procedure where you work?

Edited at 02:06 PM.
Firekat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

The day Boris changed it to ďif you live with someone with symptoms you must isolateĒ. I was sent home that day, on SSP, not even CSP. My OH had a cough, but we werenít testing then.

Now Iím on a sabbatical from that job to hopefully avoid redundancy. Iím temping elsewhere and I would be unpaid from both temp jobs completely if I had to isolate. Whether through work or home.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Firekat View Post
Was I expecting to much?
I think you've done the prudent thing. Have you been contacted by Test & Trace yet? Sharing a small office, even if desks are >2m apart, with someone who tested positive surely would be enough to trigger a request to get a test?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Firekat
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by robrar View Post
I think you've done the prudent thing. Have you been contacted by Test & Trace yet? Sharing a small office, even if desks are >2m apart, with someone who tested positive surely would be enough to trigger a request to get a test?
No I haven't. My collegue is back in work today, still not 100% says she feels exhausted, but today is her early finish day so she is going to see how she gets on.

I asked her if she had been contacted by track and trace she said they have called her 3 times, but just asked how she was feeling. Didn't once ask who she has been in contact with or where she works.

Her brother has also been working for us in the goods in department and he fell ill a day or so after her, got tested and was positive.

It is a small business with only around 30 employees and so far 4 people have tested positive.
Firekat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post

I asked her if she had been contacted by track and trace she said they have called her 3 times, but just asked how she was feeling. Didn't once ask who she has been in contact with or where she works.
Wow! That's astonishing.

All the more reason why I think you did exactly the right thing.
Old 21 Oct 20, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
rudie111
Excited about Disney

On Sunday 11 October my work collegue text me to let me know she wasn't feeling well and had got tested for Covid.

When I came in to work on Monday I was informed that she had received her result that morning and it was positive.

We work in a small office together, just the 2 of us at the moment as our manager is working from home due to none covid related illness.
While our desks are over 2M apart we hadn't been wearing masks while in the office. So I checked the NHS website to see what I should do. As I had no symptoms it said I didn't need to get tested or isolate unless contacted and instructed to do so by Track and Trace. So I carried on with my work.

About an hour later the MD called me and said he thinks it would be best if I went home and got tested. I understand his thinking and that other staff would feel less anxious if I did this. So I went home, tried to get a test and found I should only get tested if I had symptoms. Knowing the MD wouldn't be happy if I returned to work without being tested I lied on the form saying I had symptoms in order to get a test
There were still over 40 tests available at my local test centre for that day so I didn't feel like I was taking resource from someone who did have sypmtoms.
I went and did the test informing the MD that I would let him know when I had the result.

I kept myself isolated in the house and waited for the result. Over 48 hours later I had the result and it was negative and said I could return to work, which I did the very next day.

Now I have been asked by my manager if I want to take it as sick or holiday. The sick pay we have is basic statutory sick, so I have taken it as holiday.

I know this has come from the MD, not my manager. The MD is currently isolating as his daughter has tested positive.

Feeling really annoyed as it was him who wanted me to go home and get tested, so I'd assumed I would be paid as normal unless I tested positive in which case I'd have been isolating on sick pay.

Was I expecting too much?

What is the procedure where you work?
Do you make each others hot drinks? Do you think you have been with 1m of the other person at all? Its really difficult. Pretty sure if anyone gets it in our office we will all have to isolate
rudie111 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Firekat
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by robrar View Post
Wow! That's astonishing.

All the more reason why I think you did exactly the right thing.
Thanks I completely understood the MDs reasons behind requesting I got tested, just thought I would be paid not have to take holiday or sick for it.

I was quite shocked that they hadn't asked her who she had been in contact with - I thought that was the whole point of track and trace?
Old 21 Oct 20, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post

... just thought I would be paid not have to take holiday or sick for it.
I agree, it's a very reasonable thing to expect.
Old 21 Oct 20, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Firekat
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by rudie111 View Post
Do you make each others hot drinks? Do you think you have been with 1m of the other person at all? Its really difficult. Pretty sure if anyone gets it in our office we will all have to isolate
We don't make each others drinks but use the same kettle at break time. While we often just work from our own desks it is quite impossible to stay at least 1M apart at all times in such a small office, there are times when she needs to come to my desk or I to hers.
Old 21 Oct 20, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

My daughter works part time at Primark. Her year at college have to isolate and Primark have informed her that she either used holidays or un paid leave.
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List