Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 20 Jul 18, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
:) A Decade of Disney Dreaming - 2017- Day 26 - (Sonny) Eclipse day! and Our last DHS visit.

Welcome back, amidst Joe finishing primary school there is a distraction in the posting of days. we will be finished over the weekend and I will then proudly put a COMPLETE sign on the index page! It will happen Along with an ending that will turn into a pre trippy too

Day 25 is a click here to read.

the whole index is listed here ( although it needs a bit of tidying up)

Welcome to DAY 26

Monday 21st August- Eclipse day!

Now that really should be Sonny Eclipse day

Now, after a late night fuelled by friends and beer, it was a lazy start. It also allowed for a little time to reflect on a few discussions from last night – where were we going to watch the eclipse today?

It was a difficult choice as the thoughts were for an iconic foreground to simply add to the drama, I took the recent British eclipse experiences to avoid being in the wrong place – we prepared for the worst possible scenario and allowed the freedom of being close to the I4 to allow the car to take us to a non- cloudy location (If needed!)

A Disney Park and distance from the car park concerned me as, if needed, we would have kept driving until we found clear sky. There you see the plan!

We parked at Premium Outlets at Vineland Road, had some lunch and awaited the time, under scarily clouding skies – answer on a postcard as to why you are promised an eclipse the cloud rolls in and you think you may miss it.

We did think we would, until the very last minutes and enjoyed taking photos like this.

I may have looked a bit daft at Premium Outlets setting up my mini tripod and then taking pics when most were shopping , yet the end result was worth it.

We took it all in and also ensured we had not actually blinded ourselves in the whole experience – it was amazing how many people were trying to look directly at the eclipse. Despite the wall to wall news channel advice about building a proverbial brick wall in front of you – to avoid immediate blindness! Well that was the gist of their instructions.

Anyway we had other stuff to do, mother nature had once more occurred , had it’s moment and I have no doubt that each TV channel will be now asking “what happened there then?” and probably an inquest to state it didn’t get as dark as they said it would !
It didn’t and the science and the photos above shows that it won’t!

Our other stuff involved saying our goodbyes at the Studios, things were evolving fast here and the days of MGM, DHS and the whole film studio thing were still raw after the loss of the Great Movie Ride, that only happened a matter of days ago.

We knew when we returned at any point later than next week this place would have moved on once again, such was the speed of change.

It was fitting that the first photo I insisted on taking was of a traffic bollard, I only wish I had bought shares in the company who make these as Disney would have seen a 1000% spike in profits this year.

The whole area was full of them.
"A load of bollards" could have been the trip report name

We had FP’s book and Star Tours was the first stop, but with a bit of a jog on as we were going to see Pixar live again and had a bit of a clash of fixtures as Everton were playing Man City, whilst we enjoyed our holidays.

Monday night football on a Florida afternoon, in the parks and sharing a family moment , takes a bit of thought of the non- Everton fans in the party , Alison was close to moving all mobile devices to places that only Buzz lightyear would seek to comprehend, yet understood.

Having gone a goal up and had text alerts, we twitched constantly and also read the live text feed on BBC and Sky , just to see who was most up to date.

Amidst the most fantastic Music of Pixar live, the sad news of a last minute equaliser was soften by something that still remains a highlight of the whole holiday, this is something that I think remains true to Walt, to making animation come to life. Amidst everything in DHS that was still to change, this was the closing moment, live music and a joy of animation.

It was a privilege to have seen it once again and given the cost implication of having a whole Orchestra in place , I doubt we will ever see it’s like again – I would also add that the accountant who signed this off , was probably a Disney fan, and no longer in a job!

It was Immense. It was Disney/Pixar, I was exactly the type of show that would hold the attention of 4 year old to a 100+ year old

There are lots of you tube full show recordings that you should do a search just to see it for yourself.

This was a show that will be talked about for a long time, real people ,playing real instruments and making such an impact in a park that was in need of emergency first aid. I think this was it.

As we left, we had a spring in the step as we had a Toy story decider, to be played- head to head.

It has become a bit of a thing! Just as he does with is golf, Josh wants to win. So do I !

After winning each round, so far, and starting the final game with a 20,000 lead Josh was pipped to the winning post by 5000 points!
I had thankfully not promised to share the total eclipse of my bottom had I won, I simply relied on my belief that I was not getting on the plane if he beat me again – It worked!

We exited, and then headed to Tower of Terror to enjoy one more ride- we did it with aplomb (and a fear I would lose my phone as I did it- not worth it given the photos!)
I really do mean that, as the lack of control of the phone on the drop and possible loss of it thereafter would not have been good.

That selfie at the top was followed by a single rider RnR – single rider, we are all good with the time saving this ensures, for us it was for one last time.
T’was good

We had a run through the shop and then Launch Bay where the fireworks desserts were all laid out in anticipation- however, we took the cheap option and had some popcorn before heading separate ways!

This was a first for us, we usually do everything together but tonight we split.

In the Fantasmic party, in the busiest part of the whole park, that was Alison and Josh.

Joe and I had time for a walk around a Muppet Show exit for a pic that I think we both acknowledge as a special one- no idea the photopass photographer was going to be there – it was a moment that words will not even express., and we got a pic too.

‘Proud Dad, Sad Joe, he hugged and knew where the whole trip clock was at. This was his moment, his thanks, his realisation that I need to make my Dad aware that I would love this day to be a 365 day experience – not needed Joe. I was with you in every single minute”
I needed that hug, I actually needed that photopass pic, I needed something that was not going to let us both down.

There was a film thing that showed before Star Wars that I had never seen, I felt I had to , Joe wanted the Star Wars stuff.

This was our moment, we walked hand in hand from Muppets to find a spot and then we simply walked up and sat right in front of the stage for the Disney Movie Magic show – amidst Star Wars this had been long missed by most - I have to admit having missed this amid our Fantasmic preferences, this was a show that needed to be flagged up for so many more people, just like ‘One Man’s Dream’ there again seemed an embarrassed lack of acknowledgement as to the past- who knows why

We both enjoyed this whole show – and then for the Star Wars fireworks – a lame imitation on what we saw last year and an even more lame imitation on what the Frozen fireworks show had to offer previously.

My own notes described it as a back garden celebration of what DHS fireworks should be- even now I will stick with that – The Disney people will say it is the construction that is going on in the background, but the Star Wars show was not a patch on what it deserved to be.

All film and no fireworks – is possibly the best way to describe it.

Joe and I had enjoyed something different and as we met again as family we all became aware of that separation.

Not sure we enjoyed it, but the Disney Movie Magic show will stay will us!

As we exited we were in a hurry, only to see a poor old bloke come off his ECV, he had missed a kerb leaving DHS and seeking a bus amidst new parking , bus stops etc, I was just glad he had family to care for him as I was joined with another person to try to sort out his ECV and ensuring he was Ok , thankfully he was. But it is little moments like this that really do make you aware of others.

Now for us food was the next question - way home- eat in or take away was replaced by a get to Publix before 10 pm.

The notes will tell the story better than I could ever !

“Toll Rd to Orange Lake
Tea bought and out of the car park by 9.59
Toll Rd again and we made it back to the villa for 10-13!

Pizza/Spaghetti bolognaise”

Talk about edited lowlights – the toll road out of WDW to Orange Lake Publix is one of the best ways out of WDW – via Western way and it saved us tonight.

Late food , Joe ear still sore, kids to bed.

We just enjoyed a Hot tub under the stars, sun loungers to stargaze and seek out those shooting stars, an eclipse day to remember.

Late to bed again but with dreams fulfilled.

The end is very near and we were so aware as a family that it was going to be emotional.

Day 27 is here - just click to read

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.

Edited at 12:14 AM.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 18, 06:34 AM  
Link to this Post
KittyBlackDog
Imagineer

A Happy Sad day it seems. I know the end is nigh but a new adventure awaits... soon!
KittyBlackDog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 18, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A good day shame the holiday is nearly over

Joan
Old 21 Jul 18, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by KittyBlackDog View Post
A Happy Sad day it seems. I know the end is nigh but a new adventure awaits... soon!
The happiness was in the experience, the sad bit was the cutbacks on the fireworks that I had missed a showing of Fantasmic for First time ever!
Was worth it just to see the 'Disney Movie Magic' show

New adventure - now how did that happen

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 18, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Reetser
Imagineer

Reetser's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 9
Mobile

It’s funny that I read this tonight as I actually spent a few hours earlier reading through our WhatsApp “babble” during last August and one topic of conversation was me moaning about the star wars fireworks! I tried twice to set up in odd locations to get photos and there was no height and what was high wa poor!

Hoping for better things!
Reetser is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 18, 11:54 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Reetser View Post
It’s funny that I read this tonight as I actually spent a few hours earlier reading through our WhatsApp “babble” during last August and one topic of conversation was me moaning about the star wars fireworks! I tried twice to set up in odd locations to get photos and there was no height and what was high wa poor!

Hoping for better things!
looking back on WhatsApp I never even go there - I am about to write the final 'walk home of 2017' with very few days on the clock and realised I need a memory card for the camera

Old 22 Jul 18, 01:04 AM  
Link to this Post
mouselover22
Imagineer

Oh no, the end is near I feel your pain but so many more life long memories have been made this trip.

And look at your countdown!
Old 22 Jul 18, 01:38 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by mouselover22 View Post
Oh no, the end is near I feel your pain but so many more life long memories have been made this trip.

And look at your countdown!
Thanks Hayley

Sharing the countdown minute by minute- still can't believe we are going in a matter of days

Old 22 Jul 18, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
The Pixar live on stage show does sound awesome. The farewells are hard, even though you know you will be back. The selfie photo at the top of Tower of Terror is fab.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 18, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
The Pixar live on stage show does sound awesome. The farewells are hard, even though you know you will be back. The selfie photo at the top of Tower of Terror is fab.

Thank youi so much for your continued posting - your posts have helped me ensure I get this whole thing to completion

Selfie photo at the top of ToT is not recommended.