Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Jan 20, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
GSCE Maths tutoring

Our daughter seems to be struggling with Maths. She is being predicted a level 5 at the minute but is doing so much better in her other subjects. She is looking at primary teaching and we both feel her maths needs a boost.
Would anyone be able to recommend any particular websites to find someone? Are the school allowed to recommend anywhere ? Also if I find a tutor I wonder what sort of questions I should be asking to ensure suitability ? Obviously the other question is cost and how often would she see need to see the tutor ? We are in the North West and I was expecting £25/30- does this sound right ?

Thanks all.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
fefifoe
Apprentice Imagineer

fefifoe's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
can only answer the cost question - i've just booked my ds16 in for Higher maths tutoring - we are lucky in that my dd's best friends dad is a maths and physics tutor so didn't have to try to find one . I did do a quick google for prices and it really does vary but we are paying £35 for 75 minutes.
Old 16 Jan 20, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by fefifoe View Post
can only answer the cost question - i've just booked my ds16 in for Higher maths tutoring - we are lucky in that my dd's best friends dad is a maths and physics tutor so didn't have to try to find one . I did do a quick google for prices and it really does vary but we are paying £35 for 75 minutes.
That does seem very cheap?

Word of mouth is the best way forward OP. Not always easy but ask other parents.
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Gloucestershire here - my friend charges £40 an hour for A level maths, don't know about GCSE, maybe the same, maybe a little less.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
dizzy1
Excited about Disney

I found a GCSE maths tutor for my daughter on the tutorful website. I'm in the North West, and I pay £25 per hour.
dizzy1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Mobile

My son has been having English tuition on a one to one basis for a few months.
She charges £30 per hour but often is there a little longer.
Strangely, my hubby found her. He was in Costa one day and it was busy so they ended up chatting.
Even stranger, we were in the process of moving at the time. She lived around 14 miles away and travelled to us. Now we live a minutes walk away 🙂
Anyway, best thing we did for our son. He only has a 1 hour lesson twice per month and the change is quite impressive. English has gone from being his weakest subject, to one of his best 🙂
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

My son teaches GCSE maths online via tutor hunt, and he has had really good success doing it this way (as in his students have really improved their grades and confidence).

He charges around £30 an hour, but whether it's online tutoring or face to face you choose, there are some not so experienced/qualified tutors offering their services. My son openly displays his GCSE and A level results, but many don't often because they don't have good results or in some cases they came to this country without any of them.

My son was struggling a bit with his maths years ago and we found a really good GCSE maths tutor that initially taught him face to face, and then when the tutor moved abroad,it was done online which still worked really well.

Edited at 11:15 AM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
Thank you all so much for your help.
I have already asked around and nobody I know has used a tutor for their children not in our area anyway.
I think face face will work best for her. School have a lot of online resources already.
Thank you dizzy1. I have looked on tutorful and that looks promising. There is a lady quite close by, £25 ph. I will probably go for twice a month when I do find someone, every week might be a bit too much time for daughter.

Thank you all so much for your help

Edited at 11:33 AM.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
4fromsuffolk
Very Serious Dibber

4fromsuffolk's Reviews
Mobile

Hi, we used Tutor Hunt. You can send questions to the tutors, if you want to use the tutor you have to pay the website for their address etc. I think that was around £25. I can’t remember exactly. We live in Suffolk and are paying £25 per hour. Some tutors do charge more than this. After we did all this we found that my DS1 school had a list of tutors, so it might be worth you asking the school. DS1 is tutored for an hour once a week as GCSE’s are looming. We didn’t ask any specific questions we looked at the tutor’s qualifications and work experience. We did have a different tutor to begin with but my son felt no rapport with them so we looked around again. The charge per hour for the first tutor was £30.
4fromsuffolk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

We are also in the nort west we pay £35 a week for English and found that tutor on the Internet. We pay £25 a week for maths. The maths tutor was recommended by my daughters maths teacher at school.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List