Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Closed Thread

Old 26 Jun 20, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I agree. I do hope you are not suggesting that I have said standing up against racism is wrong.
No one but you mentioned wrong. Virtue signalling and trendy however...
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GrumpyDopey&Me View Post
In your opinion
I agree with you about the controversy. But please name one thing on the ride itself that's racist. And don't get me wrong, I agree that the controversy itself is a good reason to change the ride and get it to rest once and for all.

Edited at 06:20 PM.
YLL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
GrumpyDopey&Me
Imagineer

GrumpyDopey&Me's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by YLL View Post
I agree with you about the controversy. But please name one thing on the ride itself that's racist. And don't get me wrong, I agree that the controversy itself is a good reason to change the ride and get it to rest once and for all.
I am not saying it’s racist and I am not saying it isn’t. I am saying some have and they shouldn’t be told their opinion is not right

However I did a little googling and this popped up

The movie is not available to the millions of subscribers of the company’s Disney Plus streaming service.
"While the ride is considered a beloved classic it’s history and storyline are steeped in extremely problematic and stereotypical racist tropes from the 1946 film Song of the South," reads a Change.org petition calling for the recasting.

The petition continues: "While the rides storyline is not an exact version of the movies plot line it is derivative from it, the characters, the songs and locations are all main features of the ride.

"Disney has removed Song of the South from its library, refusing to share it on DVD or their streaming services.

"The best next step to remove all traces of this racist movie would be to re-theme Splash Mountain into a Princess and the Frog themed ride."
GrumpyDopey&Me is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

The ride is based on the Uncle Remus folk tales which are full of stereotypical tropes and caricatures, and Song of the South which features a black sharecropper telling stories to white kids that feature these tropes and caricatures.
I can understand why many African Americans would find the themes distasteful, since the caricatures are of their own race and cultural experiences in the South.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GrumpyDopey&Me View Post
I am not saying it’s racist and I am not saying it isn’t. I am saying some have and they shouldn’t be told their opinion is not right

However I did a little googling and this popped up

The movie is not available to the millions of subscribers of the company’s Disney Plus streaming service.
"While the ride is considered a beloved classic it’s history and storyline are steeped in extremely problematic and stereotypical racist tropes from the 1946 film Song of the South," reads a Change.org petition calling for the recasting.

The petition continues: "While the rides storyline is not an exact version of the movies plot line it is derivative from it, the characters, the songs and locations are all main features of the ride.

"Disney has removed Song of the South from its library, refusing to share it on DVD or their streaming services.

"The best next step to remove all traces of this racist movie would be to re-theme Splash Mountain into a Princess and the Frog themed ride."
Is the movie problematic? Yes. Less so than Gone With The Wind, but definitely yes.

Is the ride itself racist? In my view, no.

Was it a great idea to base the ride on a problematic movie in the first place? Most probably no! That's why I'm happy with the new ride. Let's enjoy it without any controversy!

Edited at 07:01 PM.
YLL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Not probably. Definitely. I think I have been clear on that. My point is on the many times I have been on that ride, I have seen no signs of black people oppression. And as far as I can tell, nobody else has until this morning when it became trendy to be outraged at Splash Mountain.

I have had enough of this nonsense and am bowing out now.
The fact you think this is something new shows how little you know about it and yet you have a very strong opinion on something you didnt even know hurt people.

But, sure, "trendy".
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by angelbabe View Post
I'm quite excited to see what the new ride will be like. Mind you, at this point, I'd settle for just being able to see the balloon up at Disney Springs!
You're in luck. It has been up lately when I have driven by.
Old 26 Jun 20, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

May I just add that the story of black people in the American south IS a story of oppression, in the worst possible sense. If you don’t see it, that doesn’t mean it isn’t there. What matters is that the oppressed people see it.
Just my point of view.
The Princess and the Frog is a beautiful movie and deserves a ride.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
GrumpyDopey&Me
Imagineer

GrumpyDopey&Me's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by YLL View Post
Is the movie problematic? Yes. Less so than Gone With The Wind, but definitely yes.

Is the ride itself racist? In my view, no.

Was it a great idea to base the ride on a problematic movie in the first place? Most probably no! That's why I'm happy with the new ride. Let's enjoy it without any controversy!

PS: you did say earlier that the ride was racist and that no one should be allowed to say otherwise. I am trying to separate the content of the movie with the content of the ride, which had removed any controversial aspects from the movie - and again, I agree that it would have been better in the first place not to go there.
quote me on where I said that.
GrumpyDopey&Me is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by HeresYourEars View Post
The ride is based on the Uncle Remus folk tales which are full of stereotypical tropes and caricatures, and Song of the South which features a black sharecropper telling stories to white kids that feature these tropes and caricatures.
I can understand why many African Americans would find the themes distasteful, since the caricatures are of their own race and cultural experiences in the South.
I abhor racism in any way, shape or form. However Uncle Remus's stories are based on African folktales, not caricatures. Song of the South may be problematic, but the stories themselves were passed through word of mouth for generations - let's not find evil in everything please.
Closed Thread