Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Aug 20, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
hjanea46
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile How have people found expedia with covid alterations?

Hi, not quite time to book my flights for next year( hopefully aer lingus LBA-MCO. As we will go a day earlier than our universal hotel booking I am thinking of booking the Hyatt regency at MCO for the night. (Scheduled landing is 19.25). This would then be classed as a package so be protected under ATOL I believe. I can do this through expedia but wondered what they'd been like with refunds or postponement if anyone has any experience please?

Helen.
hjanea46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Wilson9795
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile

We had our holiday booked with Expedia, when this all started you couldn’t get through on the phone unless you were travelling in 72 hours, the only contact option we had was to spend around an hour clicking talk to someone on the live chat until it put us in a queue

It took arguing with 2 members of staff before a 3rd said they’d process our refund, took around 2 weeks to get back our money so no complaints for us

Our flights were GLA - EWR - MCO and the same on return, the GLA - EWR proportion was cancelled in March for an August trip

Cannot comment on changing elements of the holiday etc
Wilson9795 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

claimed our flight 32 days ago, no refund, but part of this is due to the airline not refunding in timely fashion (Lufthansa now stands at 12 weeks for a refund, and expedia will only refund when they get the money from the airline)

in normal times, expedia has been good at rebooking, or accomodating for changes (when initiated by the airline)

so I would not fault them for the extraordinary circumstances we're going through.

I don't know about package issues, I will always book flights separately. I used to do packages in the past, but it's always been a nightmare sorting out whenever there was an issue.

overall, I will trust expedia with my vacations. they're about the only "travel agent" I will trust.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

I booked for this October with Expedia, flights and hotel separate but was sent an atol certificate as they said it was classed as a package. When it was all cancelled took about 28 days for hotel refund and 7/8 weeks for Lufthansa refund to go back on credit card . Would definitely book again with Expedia.
Loobylou_82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Gev
Imagineer

Dreadful company, shocking service. Flights for my parents flying from Las Vegas to U.K. on 30th April with VA was cancelled on 7th April. The refund has still not happened. During one on-line conversation with them, I was told “you need to understand you are being given a voucher, not a refund”. I had days and days of telling them they needed to understand the voucher was not being accepted. All these weeks later we are still waiting. Regardless of whether they have to wait for VA to refund, the staff are rude and unhelpful and as the customer services working in a different time zone, my conversations with them went on till gone 1am. I personally wouldn’t use them ever again, but obviously others have had better service.
Old 4 Aug 20, 07:02 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gev View Post
and as the customer services working in a different time zone, my conversations with them went on till gone 1am.
strange
UK support is open 24/7
I used French support, and it's open 9am-6pm Mon-Fri
There is even a way to get them to call you back if wait time is too long, that choice is offered at the start of the call by the automated system.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
sixpence18
Serious Dibber

I had a trip to japan booked for March but it all got cancelled by the airlines. Flights were about Ł1500 and it was inheritance so I was desperate to get it all back.
It has been an utterly horrendous experience, rude staff, lying to you on the off chance you get to speak to them on the phone. Days of the same - hours and hours on the phone on hold with their dreadful hold music. Never answering their chat. Any response on email just tells you to ring them. At the start of all this they also didn’t respond to social media although it does look like they do now.
I gave up In the end and claimed for my cancelled flights via my credit card.
Best advice is to document every attempt at contacting them so that if you do go via credit card you can prove you at least tried to sort it out with Expedia!

Edited at 07:29 AM.
sixpence18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Dawnfletch
slightly serious Dibber

Dawnfletch's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

They have been excellent with us. We had 3 hotels & car hire booked with them. All refunded within 4 days. We would definitely use them again. These bookings were for Las Vegas.
Old 4 Aug 20, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
liamaxina
VIP Dibber

liamaxina's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
We had a trip to Japan booked for 1st June. Flying with KLM. Expedia refunded the hotel pretty quickly but we had to fight for the refund for the flights as they said we were only entitled to a voucher. We did everything through email and quoted the law which states we are entitled to a refund. Eventually we got out full refund. It took a couple of weeks to come through but we were refunded in full for the entire holiday. So my advice is: Liaise via email then you don't have to wait around on the end of a phone. Be firm and make sure you know the relevant part of the law. Don't take 'No' for an answer. The staff are bound to be frazzled with all the people ringing and trying to get their money back etc. so be patient but, again, be firm and you should get your money back.
Old 4 Aug 20, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
irnman
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by liamaxina View Post
We had a trip to Japan booked for 1st June. Flying with KLM. Expedia refunded the hotel pretty quickly but we had to fight for the refund for the flights as they said we were only entitled to a voucher. We did everything through email and quoted the law which states we are entitled to a refund. Eventually we got out full refund. It took a couple of weeks to come through but we were refunded in full for the entire holiday. So my advice is: Liaise via email then you don't have to wait around on the end of a phone. Be firm and make sure you know the relevant part of the law. Don't take 'No' for an answer. The staff are bound to be frazzled with all the people ringing and trying to get their money back etc. so be patient but, again, be firm and you should get your money back.
Would you be so kind to share, as I fear I may be about to step into the boat with Expedia in trying to get a refund instead of a voucher
Disney Tokyo 2020
irnman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List