Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Nov 20, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
HFJohnson
Imagineer

Has anyone used Babbel to learn a language?

I'd like to improve my French and night school classes aren't an option at the moment so I was considering the above and they are offering 6 or 7 months free, depending which offer code I used.

My questions would be - did you stick to it, how much time did you spend on it each day and did it work?

My French is ok but basic. I can read signs and the occasional thing someone says to me but I'd like to improve my vocabulary, pronunciation etc.
HFJohnson is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 20, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

I used to be fluent in German but have not spoken it for years, I wanted to brush up. My daughter recommended DuoLingo, its a phone app. I have been using it for the last week and its really good, the recommend at least 15 minutes a day, but you can do as little as 5 or more if you want. Its fun and seems particularly good if you have some knowledge of the language
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 20, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

I've used Duolingo for years. They keep emailing me reminders that I'm slacking
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 20, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

French speaking friends in Canada have used Duolingo to amazing results as I was brushing up on my French for them. I have a French Tutor but obviously not this year so far plus my friends speak Quebecois so I a thinking of giving Duolingo a go myself thanks for the reminder to do somethingg about it right now.
Old 10 Nov 20, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
HFJohnson
Imagineer

Thanks for the replies. I've dowloaded Duolingo and had a go - it looks really good so far.
HFJohnson is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 20, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
janeywaney
VIP Dibber

janeywaney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Not tried Babel currently using Duolingo to learn Spanish, loving it so far 😁
Our New Years resolution was to learn it and we are still doing it daily now.

Jane
August 06 All Star Sports, August 07 All Star Music, OKW August 08 OKW Nov 09 All Star Music Feb 10, OKW Sept 10 OKW Sept 2011 , OKW Nov 2013, Pop Cenury Sept 2014, OKW Sept 2015, OKW Nov 16, OKW Sept 17, OKW Aug 19
janeywaney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 20, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Triciamcl
VIP Dibber

Triciamcl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Duolingo is fab, I’ve used it to brush up on my French and also to start Spanish from the beginning , can’t recommend it enough Iuse the app en route to work (or I did before I started working from home), at home on the bus/ tram, in the car it’s really super

2010 DOUBLETREE RESORT
2011 DOUBLETREE RESORT
2012 DOUBLETREE RESORT
2015 POFQ, RPR and DOUBLETREE RESORT
2017 POFQ

2022 POFQ & Cabana Bay
Triciamcl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 20, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

I’m using Duolingo to help with learning Welsh, unfortunately proper classes are off the table until next summer and I can’t get along with classes via Skype, I love duo lingo usually do about 20 minutes a day x
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 20, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Sas
Apprentice Imagineer

Another user of duolingo, I love it. It's taking me a while but getting there with Spanish x
Old 11 Nov 20, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerMom
Apprentice Imagineer

I use both Duolingo and Babbel to learn German. I can read German quite well now and can respond to and construct simple sentences. I'm a long way from fluent yet though.
TigerMom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List