Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Nov 20, 12:19 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Well sone really good advice on here .

To answer a few questions
- While an interesting idea , I am not sure that changing the door to not go into the room would make much difference ( there is only 40cm to the right of the door so not enough room for a unit
- to the left of the kitchen is the lounge ; we like the coziness of an enclosed lounge so don’t want to open up that wall
- there is a room to the bottom of the kitchen that could in theory be opened up . Currently basically my DSs Xbox room which he wouldn’t be happy about but would just mean we would have a 26/27 ft by 10 ft 4 room and not sure it would help at all ( though ideas welcome)
- behind the outside door 🚪 on the right is our path that enables us to get form the front to the rear of the house . So we can’t really extend there . ( putting a c 3 foot wide extension there would enable an island but it would be a big expense and would mean opening up the area to the left of the house to give new access to the rear. Appreciate the thought but don’t think it’s practical
- i like the idea of putting the sink where the existing outside door is , and having a window there . There is only ours and next doors paths there so not sure we could create much to look at but would bring in some light ( the photos do show it being dark as I need to replace some bulbs lol)
- we still do need a table in the room . With an island , it would match and sit at the end of it . We do have a bigger table in the conservatory but our day to day eating is in the kitchen . We need to eat as a family regularly to support our DD eating so need a 4 seater table
- Does anyone have a breakfast bar ? I can see the appeal for snacking but do you use it for 4 having a lunchtime or evening meal ?

I like the idea of using Lego or chalking out / using boxes . Definitely don’t want to be disappointed after the event , which I think we would be if we went for the island and it’s a tight squeeze
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 12:22 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Saratoska View Post
I think patio doors would bring in so much more light for you

we were told by our planning guy our kitchen was small in general and too small for an island but...………. I wanted one, we don't sit at ours though

Great kitchen
Can I ask what the gaps are between the island and the units ? Do you feel it’s about right - would it be squashed if it was narrower
And how wide the island is ?

Thanks
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 12:35 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MrsEgg View Post
Definitely not a kitchen designer but this would be my suggestion -

Moving into the kitchen as you walk in through the door and where the current outside door is making an L shape, the kitchen island in the middle there and then the dining room table to the far end. I've drawn the table at 750mm but perhaps a small round table would suit the space better. Radiator to the wall opposite the island

To the far end to have one of those gallery window with door at the far end.

Kitchen cupboards are all drawn as 600mm apart from the half size cupboard at the end which is 300 (could be one of those pull out larder types) to give you an idea how many cupboards you'd have.
Thank you so much for taking the time to do this . I think we could possibly , maybe squeeze a full unit bottom left where you have the half unit .

However I am not sure that the table /chairs and the mini Island would all fit , need to have a play . What size was the island ? What software did you use to create please ?

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Is your sink currently under the window which you would like to replace with patio doors?

If so I would certainly block up the unused door. Then flip your kitchen and make it L shape. So where your table is currently situated you would have units and they will also run along the length of the kitchen.
Getting rid of a U shaped kitchen will make your kitchen feel much wider!
Then I would place your dining room table in front of the new patio doors so that you can eat looking out at your garden.
This I think is my preferred idea at the moment if we can’t sensibly have an island .

I need to figure out number of units and positioning etc and DW wants a dishwasher that we currently don’t have .

The tall unit as you walk in currently and the u-shape don’t lend themselves to a good welcome

The garden is largely north facing so we need what light we can get in , as above that little window idea is a good one

Everything bar replacing like for like will obviously add cost and I am a tight northerner but my gut feel is why spend x thousand just to replace what already exists when you can improve on it for a bit more

This is the view out of the window . Sorry again picture dark . So I want to get some of that garden inside , hence the patio doors . Will also make us sort out the area just outside which could become a figurative extension to the kitchen with a new patio or pergola or whatever
Old 25 Nov 20, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Can I just ask that you get a quote from a local independent rather than the big boys. The independants are often cheaper (ours was) and they can be more imaginative with planning.

For an island you need at lease 1m on every side, our kitchen is large but an odd shape with doors in silly places so we had a peninsular in the end
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
Thank you so much for taking the time to do this . I think we could possibly , maybe squeeze a full unit bottom left where you have the half unit .

However I am not sure that the table /chairs and the mini Island would all fit , need to have a play . What size was the island ? What software did you use to create please ?

This I think is my preferred idea at the moment if we can’t sensibly have an island .

I need to figure out number of units and positioning etc and DW wants a dishwasher that we currently don’t have .

The tall unit as you walk in currently and the u-shape don’t lend themselves to a good welcome

The garden is largely north facing so we need what light we can get in , as above that little window idea is a good one

Everything bar replacing like for like will obviously add cost and I am a tight northerner but my gut feel is why spend x thousand just to replace what already exists when you can improve on it for a bit more

This is the view out of the window . Sorry again picture dark . So I want to get some of that garden inside , hence the patio doors . Will also make us sort out the area just outside which could become a figurative extension to the kitchen with a new patio or pergola or whatever
Oh you must change your window to a patio, your view is beautiful and not over looked, it will certainly bring more light in. If you decide to put a patio in and convert you current back door to a window, placing the sink underneath, it will make a huge impact. The kitchen will feel so much more larger and brighter especially if you go for a L shaped kitchen 👍🏻👍🏻
You could put a peninsula in for a breakfast bar, they are great for snacks and a quick lunch for not for dinners etc I much prefer to eat at the table but that is a personal choice.

Do you live in Bury? I don’t want to presume just because of Bury Boy 🙈🙈
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi again just another thought, you sons. X Box room could that be changed to your cosy room and then use the cosy room to incorporate into a kitchen / l room. Obviously would be a lot of work but if you don’t plan moving and in no time at all the kids will be up and , well uni or working
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Hi again just another thought, you sons. X Box room could that be changed to your cosy room and then use the cosy room to incorporate into a kitchen / l room. Obviously would be a lot of work but if you don’t plan moving and in no time at all the kids will be up and , well uni or working
Thanks for thinking , no it’s too small and also we love having our lounge on the back

I also think we will have the kids for a long time yet
Old 25 Nov 20, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsEgg
Apprentice Imagineer

The software is AutoCAD so everything you draw is to scale which is really helpful with getting an idea of what space is left behind.

The island is 1200mm x 600mm drawn in the picture (2 cupboards space).

Some great ideas flying around.
MrsEgg is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
simmofamily
Imagineer

Don't know if you saw my kitchen re fit but we've had an island and was told the kitchen wasn't wide enough. Our kitchen is 12ft x 12ft.
The designer made one side with slim units therefore enough room for a island. So pleased with it

Old 25 Nov 20, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
Well sone really good advice on here .

To answer a few questions
- While an interesting idea , I am not sure that changing the door to not go into the room would make much difference ( there is only 40cm to the right of the door so not enough room for a unit
- to the left of the kitchen is the lounge ; we like the coziness of an enclosed lounge so don’t want to open up that wall
- there is a room to the bottom of the kitchen that could in theory be opened up . Currently basically my DSs Xbox room which he wouldn’t be happy about but would just mean we would have a 26/27 ft by 10 ft 4 room and not sure it would help at all ( though ideas welcome)
- behind the outside door 🚪 on the right is our path that enables us to get form the front to the rear of the house . So we can’t really extend there . ( putting a c 3 foot wide extension there would enable an island but it would be a big expense and would mean opening up the area to the left of the house to give new access to the rear. Appreciate the thought but don’t think it’s practical
- i like the idea of putting the sink where the existing outside door is , and having a window there . There is only ours and next doors paths there so not sure we could create much to look at but would bring in some light ( the photos do show it being dark as I need to replace some bulbs lol)
- we still do need a table in the room . With an island , it would match and sit at the end of it . We do have a bigger table in the conservatory but our day to day eating is in the kitchen . We need to eat as a family regularly to support our DD eating so need a 4 seater table
- Does anyone have a breakfast bar ? I can see the appeal for snacking but do you use it for 4 having a lunchtime or evening meal ?

I like the idea of using Lego or chalking out / using boxes . Definitely don’t want to be disappointed after the event , which I think we would be if we went for the island and it’s a tight squeeze
We have a breakfast bar. Our kitchen is much the same size as yours but we have it as galley style with patio doors across the end.
Our breakfast bar isn't really used as such now because there's only two if us in house but the grandchildren use it when they stay.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List