Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 24 Nov 20, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Bring it on! More options for us non drivers.

They could have a shuttle from DS to the parks that you have to pay for perhaps, in addition to the usual buses?
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dendycat View Post
With a train direct from
Mco to Disney, will they need the magical express?
I guess this depends on whether or not disney strike a deal with the train company to replace the DME with tickets on this. It might also create capacity issues on the short section of the line if all the disney hotel guests used this rather than their coaches. This line would be very useful for people staying on hotel boulevard and LBV without a car so even if disney don't use this, it will still be a very popular route.
Merryweather17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I honestly don't know. Probably Donna will have the answer.

I keep seeing reports of incidents on the line with SunRail and they show the track and in places it looks like it was laid by a person who didn't have a theodolite! However they are using existing track not new.

I know the cross country lines are all over the place as when they built them in the 1800's they got paid per mile so never took a direct route - money before speed!
Brightline are completely separate from Sunrail. Sunrail really is just a commuter service that has tons of level crossings and crawls through Downtown Orlando. I do wish they had a link to the Disney area. Our nearest stations are Poinciana and Downtown Kissimmee. I can be in Downtown Orlando in the amount of time it would take me to drive to either one.

The Brightline service will be very useful especially if they extend it to Tampa. It would open up the cruise ports there and in Miami to a bigger market as well. If the prices are ok I would use the DS station to get to MCO instead of paying for parking as well.

The new line going from Miami to MCO definitely doesn't meander. The tracks will run right next to 528 for the stretch between MCO and Cocoa Beach. They are making very quick progress and have used a new very efficient technique for the needed bridges near the airport. I am very surprised that there isn't a station planned for Port Canaveral. I would have thought eliminating all those coach journeys between MCO and the Port would have made sense.
Old 24 Nov 20, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Donna. Great view from a local. Thank you.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post

I agree completely on the Port Canaveral option. Will make port Miami a popular stop I think. I guess it depends how long it takes to transfer.

Edited at 11:09 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

No one yet know exactly where the train station will be. Originally it was rumoured to go in the area near World Wide Spots area. The current plans are for the rail link to run down the centre of the 417 so going to Disney Springs is a bit of a diversion. We will have to wait for an official announcement of the exact location.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
My money is on the area across the road by the Hess Garage.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
jim jehosofat
Imagineer

Hmm, perhaps they'll run a shuttle service from the airport to Disney Springs as a replacement for the Magical Express
jim jehosofat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jim jehosofat View Post
Hmm, perhaps they'll run a shuttle service from the airport to Disney Springs as a replacement for the Magical Express
I have read that it is not a replacement for ME. I suppose the logistics of organising the onward transfers to each hotel with luggage won't be worth the hassle. This might be the issue with Port Canaveral as well
Old 26 Nov 20, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
tiggerl
Gone all Goofy

this sounds like a great idea.we always stay in kissimmee,so will be interesting to see what happens..really enjoyed going on the sunrail from poinciana to winter park,fabulous double decker train,nice and relaxing.
tiggerl is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List