Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 12 Aug 19, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Derryfam
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
Guidebook Reviews: 1
First time Disney Cruise advice please

Hi all.

So when it comes to organising and planning our WDW holiday I’m pretty savvy but it’s our first time cruising (me hubby and kids) with seasoned cruisers (mum & dad) but never a Disney Cruise so hopefully you can answer some questions

1. Luggage. We are spending 2 weeks in Florida prior to the cruise meaning lots of luggage that’s not needed! Is there anywhere you can store this so not to take on board.

2. Tips. Are we able to pay these prior to the holiday so there done and one less thing to think about?

3. Palo. Me, hubby, mum & dad are going for an evening at Palo. Can this be paid for in advance. Also are chino style shorts and polo shirt acceptable and do me and mum need to dress up?

4. Any other tips and tricks to make this a magical experience. We are doing the Halloween on the high seas

Thank you xx
Derryfam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Waves hi, Im a first time Disney cruiser too I'm booked on a European cruise in September 2020. Ive been doing alot of planning and research and this is what I have found out so far.

Disney Cruise is a cashless system. Everything gets charged to your room / Key To The World card. This includes everything from alcohol, to merchandise to the extra charge experience like Palo, spa treatments, tastings, mixology etc etc.

You need to create an account on the Disney Cruise website. In this you can add a payment credit card, see your itinerary and book the extra charge experience like Palo, spa treatments, tastings, mixology etc.

Once you have your account created, download and log into the Disney Cruise App

The Disney Cruise Line has a loyalty reward system called Castaway Club. This means that the more times you cruise, the earlier you get to book the extra charge experience like Palo, spa treatments, tastings, mixology and the port excursions.

Platinum Level is after 10 cruises
Gold Level is after 5 cruises
Silver Level is after 1 cruise

Platinum Level can book extra charge experience like Palo, spa treatments, tastings, mixology and the port excursions at 120 days before departure.

Gold Level can book extra charge experience like Palo, spa treatments, tastings, mixology and the port excursions at 105 days before departure.

Silver Level can book extra charge experience like Palo, spa treatments, tastings, mixology and the port excursions at 90 days before departure.

First Time cruisers can book extra charge experience like Palo, spa treatments, tastings, mixology and the port excursions at 75 days before departure.

Originally Posted by Derryfam View Post
2. Tips. Are we able to pay these prior to the holiday so there done and one less thing to think about?
Yes you should be able to do this once you have paid in full. The automatic tips are $13.50 per person per night.

3. Palo. Me, hubby, mum & dad are going for an evening at Palo. Can this be paid for in advance.
As you are first time Disney cruisers, all the Palo reservations may be gone by the time your booking window opens. If they are, the advice I have read is to go direct to guest services when you board the ship, and you may get lucky. They hold some reservations for embarkation day. If you do get a Palo reservation, the cost will be added to your on board account.

If you have a credit card on your account, it will be automatically charged on the last night of your cruise.

You dont have to have a credit card on file, you can also pay by cash.

You can pay money off your onboard account at any time during the cruise. If you are paying by cash you will need to settle your account on the last night.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

If you can't find somewhere to store the luggage do not worry, there is plenty of space under the main bed that you can use for your cases.
Merryweather17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

We are first time cruisers too! Just a 3 day one on the Dream next May. Have been watching vlogs etc to gain some knowledge. Really looking forward to it. There's really good information on here from (I think) Bats.
Old 13 Aug 19, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Hi all.
1. Luggage. We are spending 2 weeks in Florida prior to the cruise meaning lots of luggage that’s not needed! Is there anywhere you can store this so not to take on board.
So if you are returning to a WDW hotel then you can according to reports store stuff with Bell Services however if not then no you would need to take with or pay for luggage storage service if there is one in Orlando.

You can add on enough Onboard Credit to cover the tips if you want to in advance by phoning and requesting to add OBC.

3. Palo. Me, hubby, mum & dad are going for an evening at Palo. Can this be paid for in advance. Also are chino style shorts and polo shirt acceptable and do me and mum need to dress up?
Again you could add enough OBC to cover this as well in advance but again can't strictly purchase in advance. Yes you need to dress up and for dinner shorts aren't accepted in Palo I believe.

4. Any other tips and tricks to make this a magical experience. We are doing the Halloween on the high seas

Thank you xx
Have fun and don't try to do everything! Choose a few "must dos" and then stick with these. I always end up rushing around for at least the first day and then settle into the groove.
Old 13 Aug 19, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Definitely no shorts of any description in Palo. Also, no flip flops or trainers and gents MUST wear a collared shirt (polo shirt is fine). Most Sketchers come under trainers ok, so proper shoes are a must - deck shoes are ok.

Summer dress, maxi dress with fancy sandals is the most popular outfit I see for women. For men, although tidy and non ripped jeans are permitted, it's not that common for dinner, most men wear dress trousers or nice chinos.

When you get to the terminal, you will be handed a first day Navigator. On here, it will tell you where to go for dining changes and Palo ressies. No good going to Guest Services as they will pass you to the place named in the Navigator. Depending on the ship will depend where you are sent, but have a look on that paper and it'll tell you. They open the line at 1:30 but try to be there for 12:45 if you are keen to secure a particular evening for dinner.

HotHS cruises have a trick or treating event, you are given a treat bag so no need to take one. Lots will dress up, but just remember that the US doesn't tend to do ghosts and ghouls like we do here in the UK, it's more just a fancy dress event. If you're a Nightmare Before Christmas fan, you'll be pleased as they tend to have Jack and Sally onboard for these cruises.

Sarah is right about luggage - if you are staying at a Disney resort before and after, they'll look after it for you. If not, bring it all and stash it under the bed. DCL have no storage facilities other than what you have in your own room. If you have a car, you could leave 1 or 2 cases in there in the boot, but only if you're keeping the car and parking it nearby of course!

Hope that helps
Joa

Edited at 10:26 AM.
Bats is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List