Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 28 Jan 20, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
amrit
I want to go now!

Villa or Hotel?

Hi, looking to book for Florida at the end of August start of September this year. There are 6 of us and i wanted to know your advice on where to stay. The last time we went (2009) we stayed in a Villa and enjoyed it but everyone i know seems to like hotel stays when they go.

What would be the best area to stay if we decided to go the hotel route and the same for the Villas.

I Plan in hiring a car so distance shouldn’t be an issue.

Thanks.
amrit is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Sorry for my standard reply in favour of villas

Apologies for a list but as I’ve responded to this question a few times it’s a bit easier for me I should add that there's only two of us in a 4 bed villa

1. Park at your front door not a mile away
2. Lots of space to spread out
3. Own private pool within 20’ of lounge
4. Own spa to watch the sun rise and set
5. Pop back inside any time for drinks – hot or cold
6. Spare bedroom to store shopping
7. Spare bedroom for family occasionally joining us (after notifying owner obviously)
8. Choice of bathrooms if one engaged – including one on the pool deck
9. Eat meals and snacks whenever you like prepared in the full kitchen
10. Listen to your own music without offending fellow guests and neighbours.
11. Watch TV in the lounge or bedroom (s)
12. Watching the mockingbird attack the hawks on the pool screen
13. Separate walk in shower in the master bathroom plus a large tub
14. Ability to keep on top of the clothes washing

There's scores of communities though and it really depends on what location is important to you. The DIBB villa map will give you some ideas

Mick

Edited at 11:22 AM.
mick is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
Villa holidays and hotel holidays are very different so it's important to choose what works for your family and that also depends on the ages of the people going. Even within a hotel holiday, it makes a massive difference whether you are talking about an on-site versus an off site hotel both in terms of the logistics and cost.

Maybe start by making a pros and cons lost for each and I'm sure Dibbers will help with this, but it would be useful if you could let us know the age range of your group and give an idea what type of hotel you would be looking at.

And remember, it's always possible to do both and split your stay between hotel/villa as long as you don't mind packing up and moving during your holiday.

Debra
Old 28 Jan 20, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Grandee
VIP Dibber

Wot Mick said, even down to the fact that there are usually only two of us as well! Villa every time.
Grandee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

As mick says, we have most of this at okw plus all the onsite advantages of free transport for those nights you would like a little tipple and don't have to drive. its really what you think suits you.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post

We travel as a couple and we like an onsite hotel as we don’t like to drive and we want the onsite benefits.

If we were six though, I would definitely not be wanting a hotel room, it would be villa all the way for the space.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

It's different for everyone, my experience:

We stayed in villa at Highlands reserve on out 2nd of about 10 visits and found the commute a pain and time consuming after first week, and even the kids 8/10/12 we hardly used the pool and never cooked anything. Wifi went down one day and a pain getting someone in to fix it - like being at home, managing the house!

We spend most of our holidays away from our accommodation so hotels work best.

A good compromise is a townhouse / condo - can be much closer to parks and more restaurants walk-able. Found some very large ones - just don't get private pool.

Onsite at OKW is best of everything IMO!

We have booked a villa for only 2nd time this year...as kids now 16 / 19 / 22 so they have insisted on their own space, so we will try and have some chilled days and enjoy the pool. Find that hard though when spending 2k on park tickets... just not that kinds holiday for us.
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Basically what mick said
I'd only ever go in a villa, and now I've found one I like in the right position, I see no reason to move.
Get a villa close enough and then the drive to the Disney parks can be done in about 10-15 minutes. OK you have to pay parking but you don't have to wait for resort transport all the time
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Sorry for my standard reply in favour of villas

Apologies for a list but as I’ve responded to this question a few times it’s a bit easier for me I should add that there's only two of us in a 4 bed villa

1. Park at your front door not a mile away
2. Lots of space to spread out
3. Own private pool within 20’ of lounge
4. Own spa to watch the sun rise and set
5. Pop back inside any time for drinks – hot or cold
6. Spare bedroom to store shopping
7. Spare bedroom for family occasionally joining us (after notifying owner obviously)
8. Choice of bathrooms if one engaged – including one on the pool deck
9. Eat meals and snacks whenever you like prepared in the full kitchen
10. Listen to your own music without offending fellow guests and neighbours.
11. Watch TV in the lounge or bedroom (s)
12. Watching the mockingbird attack the hawks on the pool screen
13. Separate walk in shower in the master bathroom plus a large tub
14. Ability to keep on top of the clothes washing

There's scores of communities though and it really depends on what location is important to you. The DIBB villa map will give you some ideas

Mick
^^^^^^
This sums it up perfectly. Villa every time.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiggers Pal
slightly serious Dibber

Pretty much what Mick says covers it why my family prefer a villa.

We’ve twice done a split stay doing 6 nights at OKW onsite then 15 nights in a villa and as much as we enjoyed our time onsite it was great to have more space (and extra bathrooms) once at the villa. We’re a family of four with two teen boys who definitely need space from each other from at times, especially in the July heat which seems to make them be less tolerant of each other at times on holiday.

Personally we haven’t cooked more than a pizza from Walmart but saying that you don’t have to eat out every night. A roast chicken from the rotisserie in Walmart along with a sliced Italian loaf and some salad stuff makes a nice change from eating out. Plain, simple, no cooking required and nice for the driver to enjoy a beer with dinner for a change if they fancy one. Ultimately it comes down to personal choice, family dynamics and possibly cost if needing more than one hotel room.
Tiggers Pal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List