Notices

Old 5 Aug 20, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Switzerland Summer 2020 - Day 3 - Snow and Altdorf

As forecast we woke up to rain and cold! Nevermind, the show must go on!

O has been up since 5am as he has his university course (his university works in credits - he needs 120 credits to get his degree). He has taken a database course during the summer to earn extra credits - the down side is that as he is at a university in HK, his lectures start early. Normally they can be watched later but this particular course has set work to do during the lectures. So 5am twice a week it is!

He was finished at 10am. I fed him whilst he was studying. After a shower, we were ready to leave. We had decided to do a hike.

On the drive up to Oberalppass the temperature was getting colder and the rain more sleet like. We could see that it has been snowing at some stage.

By the time we had got to the top it was 4C and there was a sleeting rain. It was freezing.

We were not very motivated. Even June looked as though she really didn't want to go for a walk - and she is a mountain sheepdog!

We decided to abandon. It really wasn't the day for a hike.

The drive down was confirmation that we had made the right decision!

When we got back to the house though the temperature had crept up to 11C and the rain was now just a drizzle. We decided that as June needed a walk we would go in the other direction to where we had been so far.

Thankfully the sheep were on the other side of the river - so June didn't see the need to herd them!

It was a lovely walk and we saw lots of flowers and some wild raspberries and strawberries

One of the strawberries..

We got as far as the electricity making water dam before turning back.

Once at home, we had the picking we were going to have on the hike and everyone had a rest!

After about 2h we decided to go and find an ice cream shop. We checked their website - they were open so if we went to Altdorf - about 25 minutes away!

Unfortunately, the ice cream shop was closed (not happy!) so we ended up at a cake shop. Everything in Switzerland seems to closed around 5pm so finding somewhere that still has cakes left was a little tricky. They weren't bad though!

We then went for a walk - uphill though! We got a good view over the town!

How long did this take to stack?

O offered to make dinner - gnocchi with veggies and cheese. We then had a very enjoyable hour playing boggle and card games. Lots of laughter was had. I am still the queen of boggle and manage not to come last in the card games! Success

We were all in bed by about 10pm - this fresh air is tiring!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 20, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 5 Aug 20 7:48 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 20, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

So pleased you had a lovely day after the chilly, wet start. The scenery is beautiful even in the rain, and how lovely to see wild fruit growing.

Such a shame the ice cream shop was closed, but that cake looks amazing so it was a good substitute for ice cream 😀 How nice of O to cook the evening meal, especially after his early start. Will he have to wake that early every day? I do hope he can have a lie in some mornings.

Such a lovely way to end the day playing games and cards.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 20, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

Oh my goodness I would also have definitely turned back - 4 degrees!
The scenery is beautiful, I hope it gets a little warmer for you all.
Shame about the ice cream but the cake looks delicious!
Can’t beat a bit of family time playing games.
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Borderbairn
Imagineer

Mobile

You can eat as much cake as you like with all the walking you're doing 🍰🥾

Southern Dunes 2006 & 2007 Highlands Reserve & Hard Rock Hotel May & Sep 2008 The Sanctuary West Haven 2009 Freedom of the Seas & Doubletree Resort 2010 Highlands Reserve May 2012 Windsor Hills 2014 New York 2016
Borderbairn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Can’t believe the cold weather in August! What a shame about the ice cream but glad you are still reigning supreme at Boggle!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Shame about the ice cream but the cake looked delicious 😋
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Ooh definitely a good idea to abandon plans, looked super cold.
Lovely scenery and lol at the wood stack. Andy would have to inspect that thoroughly
Cake is far superior to ice cream in my books so I would see that as a win!
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 20, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
The afternoon certainly seemed better weather and nicer for walking

Joan
Old 21 Aug 20, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

Mobile

A great day despite the weather! I’m glad it warmed up a little! Cake looks amazing!
Michyloulou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List