Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Oct 20, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Thinking about changing kitchen unit doors etc instead of full refurb.

I know there's been a few threads on here about kitchen refurbs, but we're considering whether a freshen up with new doors, drawer fronts and worktops would be a good way to go.

Has anyone any experience of going this way rather than a full refurb? Were you happy with the results and cost? Have you any company recommendations?

We've got a few extra bits that would need to be done as well like extractor surround, a dresser etc so wondering about options.

Many thanks

Old 11 Oct 20, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We used these people for our new doors and drawer fronts. Really pleased with the service and the result. We used our own fitter.

homestylekitchens/
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 20, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
harber78
Excited about Disney

Depends where original kitchen was from.

We moved into new bungalow and cabinets were solid and white but didn’t like dark wooden doors. Measured doors and found B&Q size fitted so just bought doors and drawers and changed ourselves.
harber78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 20, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
plutofan1
Imagineer

Mobile

Just done mine
Howdens kitchen
Found a fitter and chose my door/drawers
Added an internal carosel and set of pull out drawers into a cabinet
And also got him to fit a door to an open unit above the fridge
I love the changes
plutofan1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 20, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
plutofan1
Imagineer

Mobile

White/grey is after
plutofan1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 20, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

I can't remember who we used as this was back in 2011. We were happy with the basic kitchen design (1987 ) but wanted a bit of a facelift. We used the existing carcasses, but replaced dull doors with lovely red shiny ones and sparkly white worktops. New oven, hob and flooring. DH did it all himself and the transformation was amazing at a fraction of the cost of a replacement kitchen.

My biggest regret when leaving that house in 2019 was leaving my shiny red kitchen and sparkly worktops

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 20, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Jan View Post
We used these people for our new doors and drawer fronts. Really pleased with the service and the result. We used our own fitter.

homestylekitchens/
Thanks. I take it you visited the showroom as you're in the Wirral?

Originally Posted by harber78 View Post
Depends where original kitchen was from.

We moved into new bungalow and cabinets were solid and white but didn’t like dark wooden doors. Measured doors and found B&Q size fitted so just bought doors and drawers and changed ourselves.
Good point, thanks. The units were there when we moved in 17 years ago so not sure. I'll have a look at B and Q etc.

Originally Posted by plutofan1 View Post
Just done mine
Howdens kitchen
Found a fitter and chose my door/drawers
Added an internal carosel and set of pull out drawers into a cabinet
And also got him to fit a door to an open unit above the fridge
I love the changes
Originally Posted by plutofan1 View Post

White/grey is after
Thanks for this and for posting photos. Very nice results.
Old 11 Oct 20, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by marlouwrig View Post
I can't remember who we used as this was back in 2011. We were happy with the basic kitchen design (1987 ) but wanted a bit of a facelift. We used the existing carcasses, but replaced dull doors with lovely red shiny ones and sparkly white worktops. New oven, hob and flooring. DH did it all himself and the transformation was amazing at a fraction of the cost of a replacement kitchen.

My biggest regret when leaving that house in 2019 was leaving my shiny red kitchen and sparkly worktops
Thanks and sounds really good.

I'm not great at DIY so would probably rather pay someone for things like extractor surround and putting worktops in place.

I think I could just about put new doors on, assuming I got the right size. I've also been known to assemble some Ikea chest of drawers.

Old 11 Oct 20, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

I'm the opposite I'm getting new surfaces, hob and possibly sink.
Your pictures show how much bigger a kitchen can look just changing the colour.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 20, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
Thanks and sounds really good.

I'm not great at DIY so would probably rather pay someone for things like extractor surround and putting worktops in place.

I think I could just about put new doors on, assuming I got the right size. I've also been known to assemble some Ikea chest of drawers.

It's amazing what you can do when you try. DH has saved us a small fortune over the years with his DIY skills.😁

My talents lie more in the supervision 😂

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List