Administrator

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 323
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Where has the Respect, Compassion and Tolerance gone?

We have been getting some comments that the DIBB isn't as friendly as it once was... That is probably true if you ONLY look at the 'Current Issues' forum, which by the way we do give you the option to hide that forum.

But I feel it is much deeper than the DIBB and just a few arguments in the virus/political forums.

Since lockdown back in march, in fact before that when Brexit was the overriding topic, actually even before that when the Referendum was a divisive topic...

The country seems to be getting more and more divided now, it seems easier to hate and attack others than to be friendly and respectful to others.

This weekend three separate facebook groups that I'm a member of all of which are local surrounding communities and usually very helpful and very friendly seem to have imploded this weekend

We are closing for 24 hours. There is so much hate and division with many subjects, admin and members need a break. Please donít fall out because you disagree with someone else ❤️

Turn off your phone and enjoy the fresh air while you still have abit of freedom and donít let this silly Facebook page get you down 🙂❤️
PLEASE No more posts on this facebook group about Boris, Tier levels, Lockdown or the F... ing Virus
This is a friendly facebook group, Please be respectful to others, you don't need to start a war because someone has a different opinion!
This Facebook group has been archived
An admin archived this group on November 2, 2020. You can't create posts, like, comment or add more members, but you can still view all posts.

Edited at 10:42 AM.
Stu is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 20, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
robrar
Imagineer

Everyone is stressed, fearful. I guess this is the response. Itís pretty sad, but I wonder if social media is playing a role as a safety valve, rather than taking your frustrations out on your nearest and dearest?
robrar is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 20, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Stu, I admit to have small 'spat' with another contributor in the Political Topics thread, it lasted no more than 3 or 4 posts but I regretted it and apologised and we "made up".
If my other half had seen the posts she wouldn't half had given me grief and called me childish.
I now try and review my posts before posting.
I do wish I could just be talking Disney with other like minded people.
And as one who lost it for a few posts apologies you have had to create this thread.
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 20, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

The UK is definitely divided. I canít see it changing any time soon and in fact if things go badly in the new year with Brexit it will only get worse. Itís the last thing we need so hopefully it wonít.

I donít have a Facebook account so see nothing on Facebook (or Twitter) and I think that helps.

Edited at 10:35 AM.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 20, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

This is very true on social media, however I do not find it so much in real life. Not in my real life anyway.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 20, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

I see this everywhere online too, but not so much in real life. I wonder if itís also related to how easy it is to misinterpret tone when reading.

I also think that because some posts/topics are so specific you end up ďfilling in the gapsĒ with what you think the posters position is. I know Iíve read things and think ďhow can they even think that?Ē only to then see other posts, or other information that then makes me realise that our thinking is actually quite aligned, we just form different conclusions from it (which is normal). I try not to react, partly because I always try and remember that I donít know what I donít know. But sometimes itís easier than others!
RachaelC is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 20, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
robrar
Imagineer

Originally Posted by RachaelC View Post
I also think that because some posts/topics are so specific you end up ďfilling in the gapsĒ with what you think the posters position is. I know Iíve read things and think ďhow can they even think that?Ē only to then see other posts, or other information that then makes me realise that our thinking is actually quite aligned, we just form different conclusions from it (which is normal). I try not to react, partly because I always try and remember that I donít know what I donít know. But sometimes itís easier than others!
I think that's absolutely right. It's why I try to have a discussion with people to see if we can identify common ground, rather than standing either side of an issue shouting at each other, metaphorically speaking. But even that gets people riled up.
robrar is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 20, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I love you all

You may make me crazy, frustrated, etc... however I honestly feel the Dibb has gotten me through this period more than most things.

It gives me a chance to speak to people of a similar outlook (In most things) learn a few things and have a laugh or two along the way.

Will I get on with everyone? No but I sure do enjoy the discussions and the vibe on most days.

I think we have a great core group of Dibbers who are welcoming and informative.

Please don't loose heart you Mods, we all may be a little bit daft now and again but we love you and we love the Dibb. Keep on keeping on xx
Old 2 Nov 20, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Stu. This post has the legs to run for quite a while as everybody will have a view on what is right and what is wrong with Society and consequential behaviour of people.

Warning - None of this is Dibb related it's about society.

I suppose those of us who are much older than the vast majority on this site have to be careful we don't look back in time with rose coloured spectacles - I certainly don't!

I firmly believe society is on a downward spiral and goodness knows where it will end up in 20+ years time. Probably in a worse state than America is currently in which is a sad indictment on a Nation.

I have many thoughts on why I believe society is spiraling namely:-
  • People have become ever more demanding- The NHS is an example where we all want instant treatment with no thought of the cost
  • We demand instant gratification be it from entertainment or online shopping
  • There is little thought or compassion for those who live around us - where I live there is no community spirit. I'm not even sure of some residents names in my Cul de Sac of 11 houses!
  • We have become insulated to suffering - I have watched adverts requiring money for aid in Africa since 1965 and my first thought is corruption at the highest level.
  • We are challenged should we dare to have an opinion that doesn't sit comfortably with another. Why? Can we not have an opinion
  • There are few role models in power that one can look up to - What happened to local Councillors who worked for nothing? Now it's all about money and power/prestige not philanthropy.
  • Social media has hugely added to the issue. Who used to write to the local paper disagreeing with a contributors published letter? Instant response leads to instant disagreement and invariably rudeness.
  • As society becomes more affluent it becomes more unsympathetic and uncaring of those less fortunate due to their needs and situation.

I could go on and on and I also include myself as being guilty of some of the above. I do despair for the future generations sadly.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

'Morrow and Morrow. For the people dot com'

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 20, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
robrar
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Stu. This post has the legs to run for quite a while as everybody will have a view on what is right and what is wrong with Society and consequential behaviour of people.

Warning - None of this is Dibb related it's about society.

I suppose those of us who are much older than the vast majority on this site have to be careful we don't look back in time with rose coloured spectacles - I certainly don't!

I firmly believe society is on a downward spiral and goodness knows where it will end up in 20+ years time. Probably in a worse state than America is currently in which is a sad indictment on a Nation.

I have many thoughts on why I believe society is spiraling namely:-
  • People have become ever more demanding- The NHS is an example where we all want instant treatment with no thought of the cost
  • We demand instant gratification be it from entertainment or online shopping
  • There is little thought or compassion for those who live around us - where I live there is no community spirit. I'm not even sure of some residents names in my Cul de Sac of 11 houses!
  • We have become insulated to suffering - I have watched adverts requiring money for aid in Africa since 1965 and my first thought is corruption at the highest level.
  • We are challenged should we dare to have an opinion that doesn't sit comfortably with another. Why? Can we not have an opinion
  • There are few role models in power that one can look up to - What happened to local Councillors who worked for nothing? Now it's all about money and power/prestige not philanthropy.
  • Social media has hugely added to the issue. Who used to write to the local paper disagreeing with a contributors published letter? Instant response leads to instant disagreement and invariably rudeness.
  • As society becomes more affluent it becomes more unsympathetic and uncaring of those less fortunate due to their needs and situation.

I could go on and on and I also include myself as being guilty of some of the above. I do despair for the future generations sadly.
Some wise words in there.