walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Follow that Dream! Travel day - Day 0 July 31st 2016

Welcome back and thanks for reading.

The index for this trip can be found here

and yesterday can be read here.

We're off and running, well not even running just meandering through Manchester airport and then onwards, at a pace that can only be described a one knackered family going on holidays

Travel Day Day 0

Sunday July 31st 2016

I never consider the travel day as being part of the actual holiday yet the travel home, final day always counts, and so today is simply Day 0, however it is a bit of a different one from start until finish.

We all slept well and as breakfast was included so it would have been a shame to miss it. We actually had time to enjoy it, and it was very good. The fact we even got to breakfast went against ALL of our previous experiences of flying to the US as our previous indirects have always left in the morning. Not today though!
We had a lie in and did not need to check in until at least 10am! that was something of a first and something that we really enjoyed.

We got a taxi from Heald Green Premier Inn ( around £6) to the airport and we bag dropped quickly – the online check in procedure that I had needlessly wasted far too many minutes on yesterday proved pointless, as the digital boarding cards were replaced by paper ones! This also meant that the memory on my mobile phone could be rid of all of the boarding cards! Yah more photos!

Having completed a rather rigorous security check – you could hear people huffing and puffing, not I please note, I remained stoic to the end and acknowledged that we would have been impressed had we been coming into the UK- we were trying to leave
Will avoid any extra comment about this as you need to keep reading!
No, I‘ll say it now how bloody difficult is it to leave this country!
There is efficiency and there is making people wait needlessly in order to make them feel a job is being done – today was one of them and I was one of their nice experiences.

We arrived into departures just in time to wave goodbye to VS75. The early flight from MAN to MCO.

We were on the later flight thankfully, otherwise we would have missed our plane!
Also, had I turned up at this point I am sure there would be a totally different word or words!

It also showed how early we were and it added to the whole experience of last night. We have not been watching the clock and just enjoyed being in the hotel and now in the airport.

The departure of Hot Lips was a great picture opportunity and it was also an opportunity for the very first time to enjoy something that today and had never experienced in EVERY single holiday I have had the privilege to have been booked on since we had children. Today I could have actually have a drink before I got on the plane. No car. It was a start to a holiday that I was not used to.

Together with meeting two fellow Scarborians in the departure lounge – The boys were now starting to ask if there is a place that we go that I don’t meet someone I know !

We found a great spot to sit and watch the airstrip go by and enjoyed a pint – like I said, this is a totally unique experience but we just soaked up the time watching the comings and goings of terminal 2.
This whole airport thing was different for us and not in a plonky way - it was just good to be able to enjoy time as a family to absorb just what lay ahead and indeed acknowledge the manic few months we had just been through.

Airport chill out and without the need for a lounge nor anything else – we finally acknowledged what we were about to embark upon.
For the first time in many months we closed in, and actually knew that we were about to embark on something very special.

Our plane turned up on time and Ruby Tuesday was boarded – we headed upstairs – no not upper but to the place was rather quiet and calm.

Have to admit the bubble does take you out of the general onflight experience, we just enjoyed the economy seats in an atmosphere that was more- except for the most selfish person in front of me – who had more than his fair share of personal space being in the extra leg room seat yet he still reclined into my face- Cheers for that- not. Know many of you have been there before so not going to explore my feelings further. I’m not sure The Dibb could deal with the swear words I was enduring! Thing was he was finding it difficult to sit in his chair as he was forced to sit more upright to watch the film he had in front of him.

I would also make mention that the food was pretty poor, as DW,Alison has a cheese allergy and there being no way of requesting such on the website there was just one selection on the main food service and the snack/wrap was cheese based too.
At least we had Heineken and wine to fill the gap and to deal with the seat that was now imprinted on my face.

Joe also spotted the sweet selection that was heading into Premium
No harm in asking...

We landed on time into MCO and as we stood up we were given the news that we could all sit down again as the immigration hall was packed and we could expect a 40 minute delay.

Our route map had shown we had taken possibly the quickest and shortest route to MCO and now we were to sit on the tarmac and wait!

We de-planed –what a great word that is - and being upstairs were within the first 100 into the immigration holding room- the first 99 went at Wacky Races speed –and then all made the same right turn together...

We saw the sign that stated quite clearly a left turn! All in the wrong direction and we found ourselves heading into the main immigration hall ahead of the whole plane!
Now can you imagine how that feels when you have always been at the back of a plane or indeed stuck at the back of a three hour experience in Chicago (Christmas 2010) Not good!

All those years of indirect training were coming into play and with the finishing line in sight – the good luck ended!

Joes Passport would not scan in the DIY immigration machine – we were sent to another queue.

The reason for this was that he did not have 6 months left on his passport, no reason for not getting in but it is flagged on their system and well worth knowing for anyone travelling to the US.

My brother suffered a similar fate just last week – no matter what your status is, your esta you will be flagged if your passport has less than 6 months left on it – irrespective of age.

We were processed quickly and having seen the chaos in front and behind us – we skipped our way to our first night stop over of the whole holiday.

NO CAR REQUIRED -

Hyatt Regency at Orlando Airport.

The feeling of not being in the queue for the car hire was wiped straight from my face, as the desk could not find our booking on their system – so much for paying Expedia in January!
We had a manager who informed us that he would look in to it but it may involve a phone call to Expedia.

After much “computer says no”, tuts and huffs from the manager,not me - I hasten to add. ( that’s twice today!)We were in and got our room on the 7th floor with an airport view.

Nice room but despite the number of different devices we had with us I still can't find a photo of it.

It took as long as time as the car hire queue but I have just checked my review for the hotel , my opinion of Expedia has meant that it does not appear on their website!- No surprise there! They have not posted it It was rather scathing of Expedia though!
The hotel were fantastic in seeking a resolution and it was a fabulous place to find ourselves on our first evening.

We dropped the bags and headed to the swimming pool.

I also headed to get a couple of beers to just to enjoy by the pool.
Ouch, as I felt the airport prices but we were now officially on holiday and the smell of aviation fuel whilst we swam just added to the high!
This was a rather surreal experience and one which I would love to experience again – the hotel was just a perfect place to watch planes coming and going and we just soaked in the whole experience.

This was made so much more clear to us as we watched Ruby Tuesday head back to the UK, from the hotel swimming pool. It was starting to dawn on us that we were officially on holiday!

A bite to eat in the airport food court saw a pizza slice for the boys and we had a sandwich.
We did meet this guy though – he looked as if he had missed his flight from 1979.

It was so lifelike that so many people stopped and looked for the heartbeat or a twitch, having bought stuff in Lids opposite , he was not there last year!

A wonderful piece of art, as it made every single person irrespective of age stop, look and wonder if it was David Blaines latest stunt.

For us , going to sleep in the airport was so different , for us it was just what was needed for this trip . for us it was such a wonderful feeling to actually see what MCO is as an airport.

We tend to live by a notion of by any route necessary and that has involved a variety of indirect routes. To be able to say we stayed in MCO airport on our first/ only direct experience was just fantastic.

Bed was soon upon us and we slept rather well.

We were on holidays- it starts right here and now

Bruce Song of the day- Waiting on a Sunny Day

That sunny day is coming soon- Click here for Day 1

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.

Edited at 12:25 AM.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 16, 11:46 PM  
Link to this Post
jemima2
Imagineer

Mobile

That cheered me up 😄 last three weeks of this pregnancy and am to be frank am struggling 😉 thanks! Xx
jemima2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 16, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by jemima2 View Post
That cheered me up 😄 last three weeks of this pregnancy and am to be frank am struggling 😉 thanks! Xx
Can't promise to finish this in the next three weeks but it will be something you will be able to read in the sleepless hours upcoming.
Thanks for reading and please let us know when the big day arrives - exciting times and have to admit once the snapper arrives you will soon forget these days. xx

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 16, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Still following, love your youngests cheeky face!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 16, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A great start a few annoying things but nothing too serious, looking forward to the rest

Joan
Old 14 Nov 16, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
zoebums
Apprentice Imagineer

Looking forward to reading the rest!

Since when did you get sweets in premium?
zoebums is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 16, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
Still following, love your youngests cheeky face!
Great to have you reading along - you will see that face rather a lot

Originally Posted by mick View Post
A great start a few annoying things but nothing too serious, looking forward to the rest

Joan
Thanks for reading Joan

Originally Posted by zoebums View Post
Looking forward to reading the rest!

Since when did you get sweets in premium?
Youngest DS snagged them on the way home in 2015 as we got an upgrade, He remembered and then asked the question to the rather nice stewardess, she could not refuse him. Josh went without though as he was sat behind us and wouldn't ask the question!

Thanks for reading and Day 1 coming soon

Old 2 Dec 16, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Figment089
VIP Dibber

Hello from a fellow Scarborian
Looking forward to reading the rest

POFQ - Nov 2013
POFQ - May 2016
POR / RPR - Oct 2017
ASMu - Aug 2022
POFQ - Aug 2023
ASMu / AKV - Nov 2024
New DVC owner at AKV
Figment089 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 16, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Holly's-mummy View Post
Hello from a fellow Scarborian
Looking forward to reading the rest

Welcome to my trip report and always glad to see another Scarborough Dibber on here - there are a few of us and along with Lardzilla we are at the planning stages of a Scarborough Dibb meet in 2017. Please keep in touch and let other fellow Scarborough Dibbers know too!

In the meantime I will hope to get a few more days of this trip report posted

Old 22 Dec 16, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

Great to read about the airport hotel. We are flying indirect in October and don't arrive until 9:30 pm so have booked here.
Daft question, but how easy was it to find the entrance? I assume it is inside the airport?
The pool looks good- any idea what time it opens in the morning.
Looking forward to reading along.
Minnie Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List