Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 11 Oct 13, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
gingermoonman
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Good price?

Hi!

I know I posted last week re: Aer Lingus and thanks to replies we had for that. Decided to leave it for time being.

I have now just searched on Skyscanner and have got flights with US Airways for the dates we wanted 7th August - 1st Sept flying

Heathrow - Charlotte - Orlando and vice versa for return.

for £3779 for 5 of us - AMelia classed as an adult as she will be 12 so 3 adult fares and 2 ch.

Gosh I am nearly at the point of booking as we paid £3600 for all of us when we went October 2011.

So question is, do you consider this a good price? I know it's up to us but grateful for anyone to give feeback on price and/or US airways. Guess the added bonus is that we can clear customs in Charlotte?

Thanks
gingermoonman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 13, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I would not pay that for indirect, but people will do. Are you happy with it?
Old 11 Oct 13, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post

I think it is a little high still for indirects dept in Mid Aug return in Sept.

However, if it suits your pocket and you want the security of having flights booked I can understand the temptation...

Personally I am going to hold on a little longer. There are lots of flights / routes / availability at the moment, it is just the prices that are steep. So I think they will edge down. Or rather I am hoping they will !

EDIT - I like going indirect and clearing customs at the midpoint. It breaks the journey up for the kids. Make sure you have a bit of flexibility on timings in case flights are delayed for any reason. Charlotte is a great airport - quite fast through plus it is a US Airways hub, do any disasters and you might be able to get on a later flight.

Check current arrangements for inflight entertainment if important to you. Some US Airways flights were showing as overheads and some as seat back. I know it can always change closer to the time but I try not to book overheads in the first instance.

Edited at 08:29 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 13, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Just a thought but we are looking at US airways as they class kids as kids up to the age of 14, saves bit more. We are holding out a little longer
Old 11 Oct 13, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
gingermoonman
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Thank you.

Hadn't even considered the entertainment aspect! Do you know how I would find out whether seatback or overhead for that allocated flight?

It's a 2hr 20 on way out and 1hr 52m stopover on way home, do you think that would be enough flexibility?

Thanks
gingermoonman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 13, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post

2.20 is fine to get through Charlotte Customs and Immigration.

But what happens if your first leg is late out / in ? You are cutting into your cross-over time. Better imho to have slightly longer and grab a meal or a sarnie or something if you have extra time. There is unlikely to be much more than a titchy soda and a bag of peanuts on the internal flight, so you may want to take the opportunity to get something to eat anyway.

If you go to the US Air website and run a dummy booking you will be able to hovver over the link to the flight number, should also show seat availability plus info on IFE etc.

When we go indirect (similar 2 ads 3 kids) I try and get an earlier flight outbound, minimum 2.30 cross over (at a HUB airport ideally). that way if there are problems there is more of the day for them to sort it out or redirect me if necessary.

Dont get me wrong, I know people who do 1.15 outbound. I personally couldnt do it as all three of my kids could spend that amount of time visiting every loo in the airport let alone trying to get through the official stuff...
Old 11 Oct 13, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Just noticed in the Glitch watch that there is a post about LHR / TAMPA flights (similar dates - 18th Aug - 1st Sept) = £3500 for 5. So a slight reduction again... US Airways
Old 11 Oct 13, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
sandshal
Imagineer

Know I've said this before, so in fear of being shot down in flames again lol, but I've never seen villa availability as low as it is for next year. Have just secured a nice villa on Indian Creek but it's taken me a good week to find one with loads of rejections and disappointments along the way. Been here many times before so have plenty of years to gauge this on but if villas (even on the 27) are anything to go by I can see the flight prices going only one way. Sorry guys hope I'm wrong.

sandshal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 13, 12:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Catherine
Imagineer

Can only agree with last post. Villa availability is not great.. We have booked our villa for next year 30th July for 15 nights, Windsor Hills but so glad we have as looking now, all the ones I'd book are mostly booked up..

Catherine
Catherine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 13, 01:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Luke Jaywalker
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by trudyw View Post
Just a thought but we are looking at US airways as they class kids as kids up to the age of 14, saves bit more. We are holding out a little longer
You are right ,we booked our flights for this December in August and our 13 year old son paid the child fare.