Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 8 Sep 14, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
AndieG
Imagineer

Just booked for San Fransisco

OMG I can't believe it hubbie & I are off to SF at the end of October for 6 nights!

So we arrive on the Wednesday at 2.50pm & leave the following Monday at 8pm. We're definitely going to be going to the Levi Stadium on the Sunday as we're both 49ers fans, we want to do Alcatraz & looking for ideas for other things to do/places to eat.

My hubbie went last year on his own for his 40th so has ideas from then but I'd like to add in a few things myself.

What about tours? Are any of them any good?

Thank you in advance for any help - I'm so excited as we're going without the kids as well!
AndieG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 14, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post

A fantastic tour company are Dylans Tour we had a great day.

The Disney Family museum is also worth a visit.

Alcatraz was brilliant.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 14, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

San Francisco is a wonderful city, a trip to Alcatraz is a must, we took a trip across the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito to see the giant redwood trees in Muir woods, lovely half day trip and something a bit different
Bazinga 39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 14, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
The Smiths
Very Serious Dibber

Alcatraz is brill loved it, so want to go back
We also booked a Movie Tour which was great
Hop on Hop off bus is brill for getting around

Have a GREAT time x

PARADISE IS - SUNSET LAKES, FLORIDA!
www.shamuvilla.com

The Smiths is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 14, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Ruthy1604
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Hire bikes and cycle the bridge. We loved it!
Ruthy1604 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 14, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
The-JAXX
Imagineer

The-JAXX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We had a fab time in San Francisco 2 weeks ago. Alcatraz sells out quick so get yours booked soon alcatrazcruises
DLP-May02,Oct05,April08,FLORIDA- May03,Holiday inn,Xmas04QualityInnApril06VillasofSomerset/RPR,Aug07BahamaBay/RPR,Dec08 BahamaBay,Aug10 BahamaBay/HRH,Feb11 New York,Aug11 Cypress,Aug12 BahamaBay/Vegas,Feb14 BahamaBay,Aug14 Sanfran/Vegas/LA,Aug15 Bahamabay/Aug16 vegas/monteray /san diego/Mar17 NewYork/Dec17 Disney Cruise/Bahama Bay/Jun18 Florida/Sep18 Seattle/Hawaii/Dec18 Florida/Feb19 ParisDisney/Jun19 Barbados/Dec19 Bahama Bay
The-JAXX is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 14, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post
AndieG
Imagineer

Thanks everyone, those ideas sound amazing I really can't wait to go. I've started looking through some Travel Reports as well x
AndieG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 14, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
The Museum of Science and surrounding parks is well worth a visit.
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 14, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnyDuck
Serious Dibber

Alcatraz is a must and you should book in advance. A friend of mine did one of the night tours and said it was fantastic.

Hire bikes and cycle across the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito and then catch the ferry back across the bay (you can take your bikes on the ferry).
DonnyDuck is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 14, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
joxxxxx
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Go and see Beach Blanket Babylon - totally San Francisco - you will need to book tickets in advance.

I love San Francisco - here is my starter list of things to do, if you want some specifics I'll try to help

Here are some suggestions

Ride the Cable Cars
Alcatraz
Golden Gate Bridge
Angel Island - the Ellis Island of the West Coast and great hiking/views
Ferry to Sausilito
Visit Muir Woods
Ferry Building
We always walk across the bridge and down into Sausilito and then get the ferry back

Wander round all the different neighbourhoods:
North Beach
Chinatown
Japantown
Pacific heights
Union Street
Marina
Fishermans Wharf
Height Ashbury
Union Square
Telegraph Hill and Coit Tower - look out for the wild parrots
City Hall
Nob Hill and Grace Cathedral - walk the contemplation maze
The Embercado
The Mision
The Castro
Alamo square and the Painted Ladies
Presidio - disney museum and Lucas Arts
Ghiradelli Square
Fort Point
Crissy Field
Hayes Valley

Visit the beaches- Ocean Beach, Baker Beach (has a nude section if you are keen/not keen oh that sort of thing), Marin Headlands
Golden Gate Park - you can easily spend most of the day here
Palace of Fine Arts

Loads of Museums/galleries - SFMOMA, Academy of Sciences, Exploratorium, Palace of the Legion of Honor, Cartoon Art Museum, the Vibrator Museum (yes there is one)

Loads of waking tours - there are loads of free ones and others such as Ghost Tours, Gay history Tours, Vampire Tours, food tours such as Wok Whizz. You can go on tours on a Segway, a Fire Engine etc.
Walk the Stairway Streets
Have cocktails at the Top of the Mark and watch the sunset over the GGB
Go for a sunset sail on the bay or a whale watching trip
Go and see the sea lions on the bay.

San Francisco has tonnes of festivals and events throughout the year - there will be something on.

If you like music you must go to Amoeba Records - they often have bands playing for free including some big names os check the website

If you like ships the Maritime Museum and the USS Pampanito and across the by in Almeda the aircraft carrier USS Hornet.
Visit the fortune cookie factory
Cable Car Museum
Go for Irish Coffee at the Buena Vista cafe - even better have a couple of Irish Coffees get a little tiddly and then ride the cable car!

Get the Bart to Berkley and look round the campus, feed the squirrels and go up the bell tower for stunning views. The rest of Berkley esp down Telegraph Avenue seems to have gone a bit seedy so wouldn't reccommend that for first timers.

World class theatre, opera, symphony and ballet.
Improv comedy at Fort Mason

Ferry to Larkspur to visit the Larkspur Brewing Company - the ride takes you right past San Quentin which is interesting to see!

Light installation on the Bay Bridge.
Take a seaplane and take off and land in the bay.

Shopping as well as all the big stores there are loads of excellent boutique stores in North Beach and Union Street along with loads of graet places to eat/drink, I also like Fillmore Street which has some excellent thrift stores as all the very rich ladies in Pacific Heights donate their stuff here. Also Haight Street has loads of interesting shops including Bettie Page if you are into vintage style clothing and a Fluevog store for fab shoes, but the big draw is Amoeba Records.

If you like craft beer there are loads of excellent bars - we love the Church Key and Rogue Ales in North Beach but the Thirsty Bear and the 21st Ammendment are both good.

San Francisco has every cuisine known to man and everything from food carts to Michelin star restaurants. Some of my personal favourites include
Anywhere in the Ferry Building especially The Slanted Door for upper class Vietnamese, Miette for cakes and The Blue Bottle Coffee co.
In North Beach, Mamas and Moes for breakfast, Sodinis and Franchinos for old school Italian, Sotto Mare for seafood and the Liguria Bakery for focaccia.
Swensons on Russian hill for ice-cream.
Bobs on Polk Street for doughnuts
Hunan Homes in Chinatown for Chinese
Mifune in Japantown
The Cheesecake Factory in Union Square is always reliable and has excellent views from the Terrace
My go to special occasion meal is always Gary Danko in North Point
Heard good things about Flour and Water in the Mission

This just scratches the surface of the food options!

Edited at 09:01 AM.
joxxxxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread