Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Jul 17, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
shazza1961
Imagineer

Young driver insurance quotes

Hey guys...
My son is 22 and he has a 1.2 corsa (14 plate) he takes his driving test Friday and we are looking at insurance quotes

Eye watering they are

Gone from £2500 to £6500

Does anyone know if any good insurance companies for young drivers, quite happy to have the box fitted.

thankyouuuu
shazza1961 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 17, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Direct line were the cheapest for my daughter , her friend used the Coop .

But it depends on a lot of things like your postcode and the car itself . Corsa's came up really expensive when we were looking as they seem to be the in car for young people .

Also having named drivers helps . My daughter has a 1.2 fiesta with us both as named drivers and pays £1260 for her first year fully compared that with her car modifications declared .

Lad next door pays £2300 for his fiesta 1.4 with no named drivers . So it seems to vary a lot .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 17, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Insure the box was cheapest fo DS3 but be careful about how many miles they estimate the will do we ended up paying to buy more
Our neighbours daughter 18 had just had her insurance cancelled by them due to her driving habits Mum says she stupidly let the monthly alerts re ther driving go to daughters email guess who's walking or using public transport till she can pay the cheapest quote they now have of 6700 for a Vauxhall Adam
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 17, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Insure the box was cheapest fo DS3 but be careful about how many miles they estimate the will do we ended up paying to buy more
Our neighbours daughter 18 had just had her insurance cancelled by them due to her driving habits Mum says she stupidly let the monthly alerts re ther driving go to daughters email guess who's walking or using public transport till she can pay the cheapest quote they now have of 6700 for a Vauxhall Adam
That's happened to a lad my daughter knows . He had a box on his cords and drove like a idiot and he had the insurance revoked . But he can't find anyone to insure him now . He has to tick the box saying he's had insurance refused and no one wants to touch him .

My daughters plug in which is basically the same as a black box but we fitted it ourselves has no restrictions which is what we wanted . Her friends box didn't allow her out as night .

And same with mileage her friend ended up having to buy more which cost another £150 .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 17, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
nickimiz
Imagineer

Carrot insurance were good for my DS, got a 1.0 polo (only a y Reg), cost 1200 for his first year with a box fitted, gone down to 650 for his second year, also got cash back as a reward every three months if he kept within the limits of the box.
Old 10 Jul 17, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
MichelleS
Imagineer

Try ingenie we used this for both our children and they get cash back if they drive well too

1996 Music - 2004 Sports - 2006 Movies & POR - 2007 Loews Miami Beach & Buena Vista Palace
2008 Fairfield Inn / St Augustine / POR - 2011 Springhill Suites LBV
Aug 2022 Disney All Stars (with Grandchildren)
MichelleS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 17, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
PlutoFan
VIP Dibber

I got Admiral black box insurance for my two last year. DD was on a multi car policy with me, so it's not easy to say what part of the premium was for her but I reckon about £850.

DS is on a policy on his own as you can't have two black boxes on the same policy. His was definitely £850 and his renewal was just under £700. I did get hit for DD going over her estimated mileage - cost me £100 more.

After the first year both are on Silver level - neither will be able to reach Gold as they have jobs which mean they drive home late at night.

DD has a Hyundai i20, DS a Hyundai i10, both 1.2 engines.

I did look around at renewal time - I couldn't get anywhere near DS's renewal quote, even with a year's no claims.

Oct 1993 Grovesnor Resort
Aug 1994 Kissimee Villa / Sanibel Harbour Resort & Spa
Oct 1996 Half Moon Beach Club, Sarasota / Buena Vista Palace
Sept. 2002 Sequoia Lodge DLP, June 2003 Sequoia Lodge DLP, June 2006 Hotel Cheyenne DLP
Oct / Nov 2007 Animal Kingdom Lodge
August 2010 Old Key West / Royal Pacific Resort
August 2013 Hard Rock Hotel / Old Key West Trip Report
August 2016 Hard Rock Hotel / Saratoga Springs Trip Report - Complete!
September 2017 New York Pre-Trip
PlutoFan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 17, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
ryanlaur
Very Serious Dibber

My son has been with Tesco car insurance since he was 17. Had a black box fitted from the start on a Vauxhall corsa 1.2. Last year someone exiting a car park ran into his car and immediately the company contacted my son as they realised he had been involved in an accident. It wasn't my sons fault and Tesco insurance paid out no problem. It hasn't affected his no claims.

He originally paid around £1700 for annual insurance ... 2 years later he is paying around £700 and that includes breakdown cover. He still has a black box fitted. At the last renewal Tesco were still the best price... other insurers might have been just slightly cheaper but their excess was a lot larger than Tesco insurance.
ryanlaur is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 17, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
leah
Trainee Dibber

leah's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My sons car is a Ford Ka 2008 plate. He has a black box fitted his insurance is with more than, we are paying £1200. He can only do 5000 miles a year and I have his driving details so I can keep a check on how he's driving, if he is driving well it shows me how much we will save next yr. if he drives after 11pm they will score him down but as long as speed and breaking is good he is o.k, which works for him as he works part time in a pub.
leah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 17, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
barry206
Serious Dibber

My son's Honda jazz cost £1000 for 1st year (19). Black box fitted. Myself and DW as named drivers. He is main driver.. this year down to £ 600 .. (20).. hope this helps
barry206 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List