Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Mar 18, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile Any lurcher owners?

We are seriously considering rehoming a gorgeous lurcher male. He is very timid but we have another dog who is getting on and he's timid too. It all obviously depends on how our dog gets on when we take him to introduce them together at the weekend, if that doesn't go well we can't force the issue it's not fair on the dog we have and love now. The dog is used to being with other dogs and was previously living in a house with children, this is another important factor as we have a 9 year old with autism... Who absolutely adores dogs.
But I'm after a bit of advice and reassurance from other lurcher owners as to how your dogs are with other dogs and children... Like I said it's dependant on how our next visits go as to whether or not we definately go for it but fingers crossed too it all goes well.
Thanks
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 18, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

I have two, both rescue dogs, the first one is very shy with strangers and leaves the room if we have visitors, until she gets to know you ( she is as daft as a brush with us and a very sweet dog, out and about she is friendly with other dogs (she spent her first two years of life locked in a shed in Ireland) The second is also a rescue but only in the sense that she was "gifted" to the rescue centre at ten weeks old as she was born with half a leg and they couldn't sell her) very friendly dog loves everyone.
Not much good as guard dogs though, Izzy would hide, Ella would greet them! Both dogs brilliant with children (have a 6 year old, and love nothing better than sleeping next to you on the couch. Also the most lazy dogs ever, 30 mins exercise need 12 hours sleep to recover!
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 18, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

Our lurcher is the most chill laid back dog ever, she has her loony moments, but otherwise finds the comfiest place to sleep,
We did have another lurcher and he wasn’t so chill, so I guess it depends on the temperament of the dog in question.
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 18, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
bigseve
Imagineer

We have a greyhound/lurcher cross (called Dig) rescue dog that we have had for about 4 years and we think he is almost 6. He is terribly timid and he also leaves the room, actually he hides upstairs, when we have certain visitors. He is very affectionate once he knows and has accepted you though. The excited noises he makes when he sees people he loves arriving is amazing.

Like Ziggyzag said, he is a lazy devil though. He gets 2 x 15/20 minute walks a day and sleeps for the rest of the day. He will not set foot outside if it is raining but he loves the snow. He is always cold so he has a 'cave' bed which he loves.

We have no idea what he went through before we got him but he was definitely gypsy owned as he has a tattoo.
bigseve is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 18, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Thank you all for your replies, from what you guys have said and what Ive read it's pretty clear they are lazy dogs lol... we arnt far from a nice park to walk dogs (on leads) and there's another field where they can have a good run. My daughter is beyond excited ... we all are if honest , only fly in the ointment might be our dog ... but he's a lazy article too and I have visions of them lying together most of the day now ... champs only been awake about an hour he's had his walk and is now curled up on his bed where I think he will stay for a good while lol.
Fingers crossed their meetings go well and I'll keep you informed.
Thanks again for your advice
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 18, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Originally Posted by bigseve View Post
We have a greyhound/lurcher cross (called Dig) rescue dog that we have had for about 4 years and we think he is almost 6. He is terribly timid and he also leaves the room, actually he hides upstairs, when we have certain visitors. He is very affectionate once he knows and has accepted you though. The excited noises he makes when he sees people he loves arriving is amazing.

Like Ziggyzag said, he is a lazy devil though. He gets 2 x 15/20 minute walks a day and sleeps for the rest of the day. He will not set foot outside if it is raining but he loves the snow. He is always cold so he has a 'cave' bed which he loves.

We have no idea what he went through before we got him but he was definitely gypsy owned as he has a tattoo.
Ive never heard of a dog having a tattoo
The rescue dog we are looking at is less than a year old , we didn't plan on such a young dog because our dog is quite a bit older but once seen he was so loveable ...he has the same sad eyes as our dog and similar facial features it's like the clocks been turned back.
Old 27 Mar 18, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
bigseve
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
Ive never heard of a dog having a tattoo
The rescue dog we are looking at is less than a year old , we didn't plan on such a young dog because our dog is quite a bit older but once seen he was so loveable ...he has the same sad eyes as our dog and similar facial features it's like the clocks been turned back.
It's a stamp on his ear that is just over a centimetre squared in size.
bigseve is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 18, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Maxymoo
Excited about Disney

we had a lurcher (he died of old age) a few yrs ago and now we have a whippet. Both lovely natured dogs sleep most of the time and both (the whippet more so) quite timid and nervous of everything. The only down side, and if I am honest it is why I would not have another one, is they are sight hounds so will chase anything- despite both being really good and coming back 99% of the time if they see a rabbit, cat, deer the are off like a bullet and deaf to any shouting! Taz our lurcher could be a speck in the distance before you had time to blink. we live in the country so lots of sheep around so I mainly have to keep the whippet on the lead unless we are a long way from anything. he also chases cars. The lurcher was a v good jumper and despite having a relatively large stone wall around our garden he could get over it if he really wanted too.
Maxymoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 18, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
axxxl
Imagineer

Mobile

My sister has a 9 month old lurcher and he is one of the softest dogs I’ve ever met. He still won’t even come down the stairs 😂

Old 27 Mar 18, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Originally Posted by axxxl View Post
My sister has a 9 month old lurcher and he is one of the softest dogs I’ve ever met. He still won’t even come down the stairs 😂

He is gorgeous ❤️