Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 May 18, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
MsMinervaMouse
Excited about Disney

Mobile Best and Worst Weddings you’ve ever been to?

Myself and OH just got back from a long weekend in Edinburgh as he was best man for his best friend of 20 odd years.

Highs:
the reception hall - absolutely stunning 1940s style town hall with a huge stage and velvet seats.
The food - the beef was gorgeous especially!
The transportation - travelled from the ceremony location to the reception in a vintage route master, complete with ticket lady! Loads of fun.

Lows:
The food (again) - lovely food but no where near enough of it! I was starving and OH didn’t even get a sniff of the evening pizza buffet. Poor thing.
The guests - a bunch of people strolled down the road to watch the Liverpool match! The bride was so upset. So disrespectful!
The music - live music was fab, but in between sets they had a playlist on really quietly. Left us all standing around like wallys it felt like.

SO, what are the best and worst weddings you’ve ever been to? Of course, all weddings should be about the love shared between the couple being wed, and us guests are just along for the ride! 😂
Old 28 May 18, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
UncleLatch
Imagineer

UncleLatch's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
The worst, a work colleague's way back in the mists of time after I had just left school, the bride ended up having a fight with her mother. I left the reception as they were rolling about on the floor.
The best, my daughter's wedding last year, brilliant day.
UncleLatch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Pookie3101
Imagineer

Pookie3101's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

The best wedding I’ve been to was my cousins which was 13 years ago now. It was held at Donnington Park Farmhouse Hotel. The venue was gorgeous , the reception was held in the barn. The food was amazing. It was a bbq and hog roast. It was very informal. No speeches, no table plans, no formality at all. My cousin wore a Monsoon dress that was stunning and cost her less than £100.

Worst wedding was my own. Despite paying for it all ourselves my in laws took over the whole thing and I wasn’t strong enough to tell them. The only thing that was mine was the church service and my dress. I didn’t know half of the guests and neither did my dh. My dh’s extended family pulled out the day before. They ruled out many of the reception venues for one thing or another.

My dad reluctantly gave me away and came to the reception. my parents are divorced and had not spoken. Both were remarried, my dad with 2 young kids with his 2nd wife) and caused me so much distress. He later apologised during the speech he gave at my sisters wedding 8 years later!
It was still a lovely day, don’t get me wrong, because I married my soul mate l, but I have many regrets about the actual day.

DLP NBC - 2008, DLP SL- 2009, DLP SL, 2010.
AKL - 2014, POR - 2016
Pookie3101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Itsabunthing
Apprentice Imagineer

Worst was the one where the mother of the groom wore black, including a hat with veil, and sobbed loudly throughout the ceremony that the bride was stealing her son!

Best was the one with reception held in the grounds of the couple's house, with hog roast and country dancing.
Itsabunthing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Snowball18
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Best - my sisters. Nice to see her happy & smiling after what she went trough

Worse - mine!
Snowball18 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

I haven’t been l many so I haven’t got a worst, but the best,
A good friend of mine arranged a travel lodge and minibus up to Manchester (where he moved to),
They had a simple registry office ceremony, then afterwards they had a massive marque in a friends feild, with a posh portaloo and a fish and chip van! Then a few really stupid games and dancing, best of all they had put on a bar, but the drinks were cheap, so everyone had a great time!
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Worst - a Roman Catholic couple who had a full church service that seemed to go on for ever. I’d never been to an RC wedding before so I had no idea what to expect. It was before Google so I couldn’t research it beforehand.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
not2old4disney
slightly serious Dibber

the best for me was my own can wholeheartedly say that I loved every minute of it

Worst was a school friend who got married the year after me, they chose a huge church that wasn't even half full (even with quite a large number of guests) meaning that their October wedding felt very cold and 'echoey' - we actually couldn't hear most of the ceremony despite being not too far away from the front - then they had a horse and carriage back to the reception venue, unfortunately there was quite a distance between them meaning guests were waiting around 2hrs for them to arrive from the church. Even with this delay the reception venue were not ready for them arriving, the guests were all crammed into a tiny space while waiting for them and we all felt like sardines in a tin - then the grooms speech before the meal went on for almost an hr meaning the evening guests were arriving just as they started to serve the meal - the food tasted nice but the portions were tiny! and at 11pm when they still hadn't finished sorting the hall for the evening reception and the first dance hadn't even happened yet we left to get our then 7month son home to bed (with a stop at a takeaway on the way home as we were both starving! ) On a side note we went to another wedding at the same venue 2yrs later that wasn't much better!
not2old4disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

Hum best and not great bits my nieces. Beautiful village church hard to hear a thing as one child shouted and screamed a lot during the service. Lovely converted barn for the reception food was dire. They were told not to put any bacon with the main meal as some family members are Muslim. Dinner came full of bacon so her Dad went to mention it to the owner as it was given to his wife and 2 children. The owner then wrote a 2 page a4 rant on the meaning of religion and gave it to the father of the bride on his daughters very lavish wedding day. 😱 Another wedding a younger guest was the star turn and played an incredibly bad rendition of the theme tune to Titanic on a keyboard, it was painful. By far the worst looking back mine 😬 Wrong groom cheap quick wedding. His friend thought it would be funny to get an older larger lady in a pink tutu to do a kiss a gram at our evening reception. The poor lady has horrendous bo! Why? Would someone do that at a wedding I still don't know. Oh and another painful wedding experience one of his friends weddings. Long drive with our then 3 year old. She threw up enroute and I wanted to turn round there and then. We made it to the reception having missed the wedding. Sat up the table and my DD pulled at the tablecloth pulling bowls of hot soup over. That was enough for me. I went up to the hotel room with little one and didn't see him again for hours while he danced the night away. My friends wedding was nice, I was bridesmaid they are divorced now too 😆
Old 28 May 18, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyDebs86
VIP Dibber

Oooh love this thread!

I’m in a wedding band so I see a LOT of weddings. So...

Best - apart from my own as that seems like cheating, we played at a wedding in Knutsford at a place called the Belle Époque. The venue was utterly stunning. It was small and so beautifully decorated. I sang during the drinks then the band played in the evening and there was just so much love and laughter in the room. It was a fairly small wedding so everyone clearly knew each other really well, no random relatives making things awkward. Everyone was so into the music we played and the dance floor was full all night. As we were packing up they had a Spotify playlist on and it was all pop punk and ska stuff and me and my keyboard player were hopping about singing along, and some of the guests just came and grabbed us by the hand and made us dance with them for the rest of the night! It was amazing.
The best one I’ve been at as a guest (and a band - I never have a day off!) was my friend’s in Chepstow, it was just such a gorgeous wedding in every way and my friends are just total soulmates. While they were signing the register in church the strings quartet played the Jurassic Park theme music. Nothing beats that.

Worst - hmm. Probably one we played where the brides brother had died two days before. It wasn’t a ‘bad’ wedding and the party had a lot of joy in but at the end everyone was crying and it was just so awkward. That or one I was at as a guest where everyone got completely smashed and there was a massive fight that ended with the riot police being called... !

Edited at 01:39 PM.
LadyDebs86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List