Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Apr 19, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

What is your commute to work?

Currently we live in a built up area very close to both of our jobs - I have a 5 minute walk and dh has a 10 minute drive on reasonably quiet roads. However we want to move ready to give up work (and extract some equity from this house) and are looking about an hour north. Dh would still go to the office 3 days a week and the commute to the houses we are interested in (according to Google) would be anywhere between 55 mins to do 35 miles each way and 1 hour 20 to do 55 miles each way. Not sure what I would do, either see if I can do full days 2-3 days a week and come in with dh or find another job locally (TA in a school). Also factoring in how much our fuel will go up, typically we fill each car up maybe twice a month, sometimes less, although more at the moment with our househunting trips! Although dh is also considering changing to an electric car!

Anyone give me any tips or let me know what they do/consider a long/short commute?

Thanks guys
Old 14 Apr 19, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

I work 12 miles away but it’s a really busy route so can take me up to an hour! I’m used to it now and don’t mind, I fill up once every two weeks. Dh works 27 miles away but doesn’t go at rush hour so takes him about the same time as me! Although he spends more in fuel. He’s just got a new job that’s a 5 minute walk away and he can’t wait as he’s fed up of the drive! I think it may be difficult for you getting used to a commute after being so local.
disney1st timer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 19, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post

I think the 55 mile commute, assuming that is driving is too long. I used to drive 35 miles to work and google says it is 45 minutes but in reality it was much longer once rush hour traffic is factored in. It was ok for me as I have never had a short commute but I wouldn’t have wanted an extra twenty miles.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 19, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
KateD
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I commute around an hour in the car each way to work. It’s 35 miles each way so similar to you. Not by choice,I might add, my company moved the area I am responsible for, I would not underestimate the massive differerene that 2 hour commute has on your everyday life. If there is an accident or traffic on the commute it can add hours. In the last year alone I’d say I’ve been stuck 5 or more times by accidents, road closures and believe it or not cows and horses on the road. My car goes through tyres and brakes now at a rate of knots and petrol is obviously expensive. But the worst bit for me though is getting home so late, I feel like I walk in and by the time I’ve cooked tea and had a shower it’s literally bed time and repeat for 5 days. If I had the choice I would not do the commute. I have 3 children and the other issue is if there is an emergency at home such as they are sick at school or a family emergency you are an hour away.

Only you can decide the pros and cons of your list and as you are considering part time it might not have such an impact.

Kate
KateD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 19, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Before I had the children and I didn’t drive I travelled to Manchester on 2 buses It took 2 hours each way and I was young and thought nothing of it.
For the last few years I have had a 7 minute walk and could actually see work from my house. I walked to work thinking what a lucky girl am I everyday ! A tank of fuel lasted about 6 weeks.
A month ago our department was moved to a different hospital and now have a 30 minute drive each way.

I think if you are thinking of stopping work anyway and you really want to move then it may be worth it for a short time. I would do the journey at peak time a few times first and not during the school holidays. Timings on google maps may bare no relation to reality.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 19, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

For a short time up to retirement then I think it’s ok.
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 19, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
parkgirl
VIP Dibber

parkgirl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 14
Mobile

I commute 40miles it’s all motorway and takes between 45-55mins depending on time of day. Sometimes it’s great and other times if there is heavy traffic it’s a pain. I enjoy my job though so happy enough to do it.
CSR October 2011, POFQ May 2012, POP July 2012, SSR April 2013, OKW Oct 2014, OKW July 2016, All Stars Music April 2017, OKW/BLT July 2018, All Stars Sports Oct 2019, Riviera May 2022, GFR/AKL Oct 2022, Disney 5K Riviera/copper creek 2024, SSR Aug 2024
parkgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 19, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Before I retired my commute to hospital was 55 minutes there and 55 minutes back

My husband frequently spent hour and half or two hours.

Needs must
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 19, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KateD View Post
I commute around an hour in the car each way to work. It’s 35 miles each way so similar to you. Not by choice,I might add, my company moved the area I am responsible for, I would not underestimate the massive differerene that 2 hour commute has on your everyday life. If there is an accident or traffic on the commute it can add hours. In the last year alone I’d say I’ve been stuck 5 or more times by accidents, road closures and believe it or not cows and horses on the road. My car goes through tyres and brakes now at a rate of knots and petrol is obviously expensive. But the worst bit for me though is getting home so late, I feel like I walk in and by the time I’ve cooked tea and had a shower it’s literally bed time and repeat for 5 days. If I had the choice I would not do the commute. I have 3 children and the other issue is if there is an emergency at home such as they are sick at school or a family emergency you are an hour away.

Only you can decide the pros and cons of your list and as you are considering part time it might not have such an impact.

Kate
Thank you every one, Kate, I hadn't thought of tyres and brakes, only petrol Luckily my kids are grown and flown We would actually be nearer other family as well

For my job I am only considering it if we move before the summer hols and I would finish the year, but probably not go back in the autumn, dark mornings are bad enough with a 5 min walk! Luckily with looking for so long we know lots of back ways up and down to avoid roads and it is a scenic drive.

The big problem is that the furthest house is the cheapest and brand new so no further real expenses whereas the nearest ones are a lot dearer (talking small mortgage or loan when we are presently mortgage free) and also need work doing! The furthest house is also the area we prefer. AHHHHH decisions, decisions
Old 14 Apr 19, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Lindsaymc
Helping Mickey

I commute about 26 miles each way.
If I’m on an early or late shift I can do it in 30 minutes however on a 9-5 shift it can take an hour depending on the traffic on the A1.
Lindsaymc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List