Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 May 21, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Trapped nerve in hip - updated

My husband is usually very fit and healthy. Healthy weight and active lifestyle. He never usually goes to the doctors and never takes tablets etc.
For the past few months he has been struggling with hip pain. A sharp pain in the side of his left hip when walking, pain afterwards. Constant numbness and painful pins and needles in his left thigh.
We walk our dog a lot but it’s becoming really troublesome and he is in a lot of pain.
He was given a two week course of strong inflammatory medication which didn’t touch the pain.
He has been taking ibuprofen but they don’t touch it. He spoke to the doctor again yesterday (still no face to face) and he said it sounds like a trapped nerve so prescribed amitriptyline. The doctor didn’t explain this medication or warn about the side effects. He took one last night which knocked him out until 9:30am this morning (he never sleeps until that time) his mouth is dry and everything tastes funny, he woke feeling dizzy and not right.
He is not taking any more if this medication.
So has / does anyone suffered / suffer from a trapped nerve?
What helps? What can be done?
Thanks

Edited at 05:16 PM.
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 21, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
My husband is usually very fit and healthy. Healthy weight and active lifestyle. He never usually goes to the doctors and never takes tablets etc.
For the past few months he has been struggling with hip pain. A sharp pain in the side of his left hip when walking, pain afterwards. Constant numbness and painful pins and needles in his left thigh.
We walk our dog a lot but it’s becoming really troublesome and he is in a lot of pain.
He was given a two week course of strong inflammatory medication which didn’t touch the pain.
He has been taking ibuprofen but they don’t touch it. He spoke to the doctor again yesterday (still no face to face) and he said it sounds like a trapped nerve so prescribed amitriptyline. The doctor didn’t explain this medication or warn about the side effects. He took one last night which knocked him out until 9:30am this morning (he never sleeps until that time) his mouth is dry and everything tastes funny, he woke feeling dizzy and not right.
He is not taking any more if this medication.
So has / does anyone suffered / suffer from a trapped nerve?
What helps? What can be done?
Thanks
Me! I damaged a disc in my back about 2 years ago now and ended up with trapped nerves. I stupidly tried to carry on running and going to the gym until it got so bad I could barely walk a few steps. I even had to sit on the floor in the shower as I couldn't stand long enough to wash my hair. The best thing I did was see a physio who really helped. I did continue with the amytriptyline on really bad days, just so that I would get some sleep as the pain was worse at night so I was only getting a couple of hours sleep in 24. Unfortunately mine was pretty bad and I have been left with some permanent nerve damage which means I am unable to run anymore. If he can get to see a good sports physio it will really help.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 21, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
My husband was given exercises to untrap the nerve, same with my neck. My husband presses on Points of my neck and shoulder and the pain releases, Google it and see if there mild exercises he can do x
Old 22 May 21, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
bella9
VIP Dibber

Those meds are muscle relaxants; I was prescribed same for nerve damage in my neck, they made me very drousy the next day, I didn't feel safe driving. I also received physio, the therapist wasn't happy with me taking the meds, neither was I, so I stopped taking them.

I've had sciatica, which is a trapped nerve, was prescribed Tramadol, and ibuprofen, which didn't touch the pain. Tramadol can also bung you up.

In the end, standing up, moving around, hot water bottle helped with the sciatica, which eventually sorted itself out, and the neck problems was down to not having the correct chair for a job where I spent several hours a day on the computer.

Your hubby could try taking the meds earlier in the evening, or maybe see if his Dr will prescribe something else.
bella9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 21, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

He is on a waiting list to see a physiotherapist but apparently the waiting list is huge due to covid.
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 21, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Defo find a physio. Some manipulation or accupunture would really help and the right exercises.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 21, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Try a Tens Machine. For the cost they work well. If they don't then not to much money to lose.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 21, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Mallky555
Apprentice Imagineer

I have degeneration of my lower back and sciatica for years a took amitrtptiline until it no longer worked for me. I am now on gabapentin and co-codamol however I have noticed lately I am having to take more. Unfortunately I’ve put a fair amount of weight on during ju chemotherapy which I know isn’t helping and I wake in the night with numbness and pain down my right side.
I am going to contact my doctor again on Monday to see what else can be done as I can’t carry on like this
There are exercises you can try which do help if you google exercises for sciatica you will find some that will help.
Mallky555 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 21, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
He is on a waiting list to see a physiotherapist but apparently the waiting list is huge due to covid.
I saw a private one in Bolton which was about £30 for 30 minutes. At its worst I was seeing him about 3 times a week but he also gave me exercises I had to do several times a day. As another poster said, a hot water bottle to keep it warm really helps too.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 21, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I swear by Ibuleve gel which is rubbed into the lowest vertebrae in my back twice a day and it really helps me. I have sciatica (pain in hip) and I know that the disks in my back are wearing out. I have lost about 1.5 inches in height and needed a cushion on my car seat (until I changed the car).
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List