Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 28 Apr 12, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
valegroovers
slightly serious Dibber

RV holidays-anyone done this?

We have been thinking of doing an RV holiday in America within the next few years. Tell me your experiences of this. We fancy the California area, any ideas of most things to do and see to help us with planning a route?

Thanks in advance.
Sam
Old 28 Apr 12, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post

Not done one personally but a colleague and her family did one around canada a few years ago. She said it was the most stressful holiday ever. I dont think it jhelped that they were travelling with teens.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 12, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
valegroovers
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by the stevensons View Post
Not done one personally but a colleague and her family did one around canada a few years ago. She said it was the most stressful holiday ever. I dont think it jhelped that they were travelling with teens.
Oh no! Mine will both be teenagers when we might go
Old 28 Apr 12, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post

This is very near the top of DHs bucket list! My only condition is that we wait until we are taking NO teenagers, down to one this year, so I will be watching this thread with interest. We are considering the Golden Triangle LA, San Francisco and Vegas but not got as far as details as we're thinking 2015!
Old 28 Apr 12, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Well we keep looking at it , but its so expensive. The actual RV hire isnt too bad, its when you start adding on the mileage packages, things like pots/pans/linen hire (although i suspect it would be cheaper to buy these from Walmart than hire them), plus fuel and parking fee's it soon becomes very expensive.

We've had quotes from Camping World and Cruise America and Camping World are always abit cheaper and having looked seens RV's from both Camping World look to have nicer one's.

Its still something we are contemplating for next yr for when we're in the Phoenix area and for travelling back to Las Vegas in..but i want a big all singing and dancing one that looks like a bus because anything smaller and i may well end up murdering the husband or kids lol..

I suppose the other thing to bar in mind is how comfy are you at the thought of driving a large vehicle...its not a issue for us because DH has a HGV license so the size wouldnt bother him.. would me tho lol.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 12, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
valegroovers
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
Well we keep looking at it , but its so expensive. The actual RV hire isnt too bad, its when you start adding on the mileage packages, things like pots/pans/linen hire (although i suspect it would be cheaper to buy these from Walmart than hire them), plus fuel and parking fee's it soon becomes very expensive.

We've had quotes from Camping World and Cruise America and Camping World are always abit cheaper and having looked seens RV's from both Camping World look to have nicer one's.

Its still something we are contemplating for next yr for when we're in the Phoenix area and for travelling back to Las Vegas in..but i want a big all singing and dancing one that looks like a bus because anything smaller and i may well end up murdering the husband or kids lol..

I suppose the other thing to bar in mind is how comfy are you at the thought of driving a large vehicle...its not a issue for us because DH has a HGV license so the size wouldnt bother him.. would me tho lol.
Yeah my DH says he isn't bothered driving a large vehicle but I have said to him I won't be! I too think if you're going to do an RV it has to be in style and big
Old 28 Apr 12, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Another thing to consider as well is that when you are in an area you want to go sightseeing in then you will have to take the RV , unless you hire a car with then will add to your costs.
Old 28 Apr 12, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
The Smiths
Very Serious Dibber

Renting an RV in America is something we would love to do, especialy on the West coast around San Francisco / LA / Vegas etc. Would be great to hear from people who have done it & see if it is as exciting as you imagine.

When spending 2/3 weeks all together in such a small space you would have to get on well with everyone else so you may need to reconsider the idea of going with teenagers !

PARADISE IS - SUNSET LAKES, FLORIDA!
www.shamuvilla.com

The Smiths is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 12, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Sorry can't help with any RV experience but if you do go make sure you visit Yosemite National Park. As they say over there - it's awesome.

Mick
Old 28 Apr 12, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

i'd love to do it but it is so expensive, you can stay in really nice hotels for the same price.
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread