Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 11 Aug 14, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkertangled
Imagineer

Mobile Advice on Virgin Special Assistance

Has anyone recently used this? What help do you get once you arrive in MCO?
I am really worried about it all as we have a lot of luggage as we are getting married whilst there so the thought of DS's wheelchair not being handed back once we leave the plane is worrying me as I will need to help DF with the hand luggage and my wedding dress box as well as watch DD but there is no way he can't walk through the terminal. Virgin have assured me someone will meet us with the chair and accompany us through the airport so we won't be struggling with the luggage by ourselves and that they will take us through immigration quicker. Is this true?
Tinkertangled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 14, 07:38 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Tinkertangled View Post
Has anyone recently used this? What help do you get once you arrive in MCO?
I am really worried about it all as we have a lot of luggage as we are getting married whilst there so the thought of DS's wheelchair not being handed back once we leave the plane is worrying me as I will need to help DF with the hand luggage and my wedding dress box as well as watch DD but there is no way he can't walk through the terminal. Virgin have assured me someone will meet us with the chair and accompany us through the airport so we won't be struggling with the luggage by ourselves and that they will take us through immigration quicker. Is this true?
virgin are 100% correct. the assistance is first class.
when the plane gets to the gate you stay seated until everyone is off the plane. if your own chair is not at the aircraft door there will be someone there with a chair for you they then take you down too immigration where you turn to the right missing most the q.
we were last to get off the plane and through immigration and at the baggage hall with only a few other passengers so its really quick.

they are really helpful and cant do enough to help I am sure it will be fine for you.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 14, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
sonic_heroes
Apprentice Imagineer

sonic_heroes's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Last year my chair was there but there was no one to push it. We managed to get hold of the virgin crew when they were coming off once we were through immigration and explained that my husband would not be able to push me and collect our luggage. They spoke to the reps in the luggage bit and they radioed through to assistance.
In the end the guy that we got was the best that we have ever had and he took the luggage on his big trolley all the way to the car pick up point, whilst my husband pushed me, and he helped to load the car aswell.
If there is no one there, don't be shy in requesting help - they do go out of their way to help but sometimes don't get all the info required passed to them.
DLP Oct 2007. Marriott World Centre Drive/PO Riverside Oct 2009. POR Oct 2011. SSR/Sheraton Vistana/ASS July 2013. Pop Cent Oct 2014. ASM May 2015. Davenport Villas July 2015. ASS, Liki Tiki Village, T Ridge July 2016. Marriott SeaWorld, OKW, Hampton lakes Villa, June 2019.All star Music Dec 2019
sonic_heroes is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 14, 01:06 AM  
Link to this Post
scottish mama
VIP Dibber

We used this last month although not with our own wheelchair. There was a chair and a guy waiting as we got off the plane and he helped us through immigration where you go through a special disability lane to the right hand side and get through quickly. He then helped us get all our luggage and got us all the way to the car hire garage, he was brilliant. Hope this helps.
scottish mama is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 14, 02:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

My experience has been that your wheelchair isn't there for you but a person with an airport wheelchair who will take you through immigration to the carousel where you will collect your own wheelchair.
Old 26 Aug 14, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

Originally Posted by Heather1957 View Post
My experience has been that your wheelchair isn't there for you but a person with an airport wheelchair who will take you through immigration to the carousel where you will collect your own wheelchair.
We've usually had DS wheelchair delivered to the plane doors, whichever airline we've used. I think once it wasn't, not sure which airline that was.
Old 1 Sep 14, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
The Smiths
Very Serious Dibber

We tend to always fly with Virgin because i find them very understanding with special assistance, all airlines should be! There is always a wheelchair waiting for us, his own or airports and someone is always with us right up to getting our luggage, if we are using airports w/chair then they have always gone to get his for us. I have always found them very helpful at MCO. x

PARADISE IS - SUNSET LAKES, FLORIDA!
www.shamuvilla.com

The Smiths is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 14, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Little Feet
Proud to wear my Ears

We have just come back from a 3 week trip and the help at MCO was brilliant. When we arrived we were met from the plane with our sons wheelchair. The man who helped us collected our luggage from the carousel (they had name straps on) while we had our passport's checked. He then took us down to Disney's magical express. They were much more helpful than at Gatwick.
Little Feet is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 14, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Bear-family
Imagineer

I'm so released to hear all these excellent responses as we too have been told SA will help us to the doors with our ds in his chair then be met at the other end. Have been a bit anxious about it but this has put my mind at ease
Bear-family is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 14, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread