Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Jan 21, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Col&Ali View Post
I think you live up Lancs way don’t you Mary? What’s the snow like? It’s Ormskirk we need to get Ry back to ...
I do. Are you going to Edge Hill? Snow isn’t too bad but I believe the roads are very slippery. I’m not sure if you use the M58 but I have just seen that it’s closed at the Bickerstaff junction (for Ormskirk) as a car has slid off the motorway into the field. I would maybe leave it until this afternoon if you can as it might have melted a bit. Hope you have a safe journey x
Edited to add: have a look at Merseyside Roads Policing Unit on Twitter, the pics are awful. They are recommending not to travel as the roads are treacherous.

Edited at 11:05 AM.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
I do. Are you going to Edge Hill? Snow isn’t too bad but I believe the roads are very slippery. I’m not sure if you use the M58 but I have just seen that it’s closed at the Bickerstaff junction (for Ormskirk) as a car has slid off the motorway into the field. I would maybe leave it until this afternoon if you can as it might have melted a bit. Hope you have a safe journey x
Edited to add: have a look at Merseyside Roads Policing Unit on Twitter, the pics are awful. They are recommending not to travel as the roads are treacherous.
Yes, he goes to Edge Hill and has a studio flat in Ormskirk

We would be travelling via the M58 so thanks for that. I brought up the live pictures of the M6 and thought it didn’t look to bad so it’s really good to get local perspective - thank you 😊

DH is having a look at that Twitter page now. Ry’s not even up yet lol so wouldn’t be heading off til around 1pm so will re-evaluate then.

Xx
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

We would be travelling via the M58 so thanks for that. I brought up the live pictures of the M6 and thought it didn’t look to bad so it’s really good to get local perspective - thank you 😊

DH is having a look at that Twitter page now. Ry’s not even up yet lol so wouldn’t be heading off til around 1pm so will re-evaluate then.

Xx
I will let you know if we get more snow and it’s looking bad. Take care x
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

DD’s face to face teaching starts again next week. She just needs two negative Covid tests 3 days apart before she can attend then needs to get tested every 3-5 days.
Such good news that your DD’s face to face is starting back again
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Xx
Safe journey if you go today. Possibly setting off after lunch is a better idea if the weather is better then
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

DD’s face to face teaching starts again next week. She just needs two negative Covid tests 3 days apart before she can attend then needs to get tested every 3-5 days.
Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Such good news that your DD’s face to face is starting back again
That really is good news! Gives us all a bit of hope lol. Which uni does she attend? After looking at that Twitter page you told me about I’m now worried about being stopped for a non essential journey! 🤦
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Safe journey if you go today. Possibly setting off after lunch is a better idea if the weather is better then
Thanks DD, she is really looking forward to it.
That really is good news! Gives us all a bit of hope lol. Which uni does she attend? After looking at that Twitter page you told me about I’m now worried about being stopped for a non essential journey! 🤦
She's at Liverpool. I wouldn't worry too much about being stopped as you are taking him back to Uni and I think travel for education reasons is fine. I would just have his student id in the car with you in case. Travel safe!
Old 23 Jan 21, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

That is great news 👍🏻 A lot of tests to have to do but worth it!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Well after a stressful 36h DS is back in HK and on his way to the quarantine hotel for 3 weeks!

He had to get a negative test results plus a load of other papers in order to travel plus we couldn’t get him out from our local airport after his initial flights were cancelled so he had to do a 4h train journey to Lyon.

The flight to HK has about 20 passengers and he was alone in the back section of the plane. Only one choice of meal (pasta) and he slept for 9h 👍🏻

On arrival his SIM card wouldn’t connect so the immigration services rang me to ask if I would agree to receiving texts on his behalf 😳 Panicked me a bit to get a call from an unknown HK number. He then had to have a second test (negative thankfully) and was cleared to take the shuttle to his hotel.

He can’t leave his room for 3 weeks - term starts a week on Monday so that will keep him occupied. Hopefully once the three weeks is up he will have a relatively free life 🤞🏻

All the classes are online for the moment but he is on campus so will have the student life with his friends so that is a real plus.

Hope all the students are managing in these difficult times xx

Edited at 03:05 PM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Well after a stressful 36h DS is back in HK and on his way to the quarantine hotel for 3 weeks!

He had to get a negative test results plus a load of other papers in order to travel plus we couldn’t get him out from our local airport after his initial flights were cancelled so he had to do a 4h train journey to Lyon.

The flight to HK has about 20 passengers and he was alone in the back section of the plane. Only one choice of meal (pasta) and he slept for 9h 👍🏻

On arrival his SIM card wouldn’t connect so the immigration services rang me to ask if I would agree to receiving texts on his behalf 😳 Panicked me a bit to get a call from an unknown HK number. He then had to have a second test (negative thankfully) and was cleared to take the shuttle to his hotel.

He can’t leave his room for 3 weeks - term starts a week on Monday so that will keep him occupied. Hopefully once the three weeks is up he will have a relatively free life 🤞🏻

All the classes are online for the moment but he is on campus so will have the student life with his friends so that is a real plus.

Hope all the students are managing in these difficult times xx
Such an incredibly long day for your DS, although he was lucky to have lots of space on the plane so he could sleep

3 weeks quarantine seems a long time but at least he can see his friends again.

I’m sure you will be missing him though, it must be hard with him so far away 😢 but it’s good that he’s enjoying it so much. It’s amazing how he’s coped so well throughout everything. It’s not easy for any of the students but your son has to deal with many obstacles that the average student hasn’t had to and he’s done it so well