Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Jan 21, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
sarahc
VIP Dibber

sarahc's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Exeter University: anyone been?

DD's first choice is Exeter to study Law and she's had a conditional offer with reduced grades so it's looking very likely that she'll go. Her second choice is Bristol but she hasn't heard back yet and Exeter appeals to her more... she's not a big city person at all!
Started looking at accommodation but it's a minefield... just wondered whether anyone had any recommendations?
Or any views/top tips on Exeter Uni in general would be welcome!
Old 23 Jan 21, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
lovedisney
Imagineer

My son went to Exeter and enjoyed it, it’s not a mad party town like some of the unis have, he had student accommodation the first year which was down by the station which he wasn’t so keen on as the walk up to the uni was all up hill and a fair old trek.

July '17 - Sunset Lakes, Aug '15 - Windsor Hills, Aug 13- Highlands Reserve,Aug '11 -Windsor Hills
Oct '09 - Sunset Lakes,May '08 - Lindfields,April '07 - Florida pines,April '05 - Florida Pines,July 1997 - Quality Inn Plaza,I Drive. May 96 - International Drive
lovedisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

I’m born & bred in Exeter and have never left!

I’m probably quite biased but we live in a beautiful city! I think that is reflected in the number of people who arrive here to attend the university and never leave!

We have student accommodation all over the city and it’s very walkable.

I haven’t been a university student here, but have many friends who have been, so if you have any questions I’m sure I can find out the answers for you x
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

I don't know personally, but there was a long thread on Exeter on mumsnet yesterday, might be worth a Google.

My sister in law works there so I scanned over out of interest. Consensus seemed that students enjoyed it but accommodation was expensive?
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
sarahc
VIP Dibber

sarahc's Reviews
Originally Posted by lovedisney View Post
My son went to Exeter and enjoyed it, it’s not a mad party town like some of the unis have, he had student accommodation the first year which was down by the station which he wasn’t so keen on as the walk up to the uni was all up hill and a fair old trek.
Thanks! I'll have to watch for comments about hills in the accommodation reviews then... she doesn't mind a walk but I'm not sure about all uphill!
Old 23 Jan 21, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
sarahc
VIP Dibber

sarahc's Reviews
Originally Posted by Lostbrain View Post
I don't know personally, but there was a long thread on Exeter on mumsnet yesterday, might be worth a Google.

My sister in law works there so I scanned over out of interest. Consensus seemed that students enjoyed it but accommodation was expensive?
I'll have a little look... thanks for that! I've had a quick look and a lot of it is pretty pricey! I'd prefer her to go to Bristol and drive as it would be an awful lot cheaper, but I don't blame her for wanting the full uni experience!
Old 23 Jan 21, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Mumindevon
A Guest at All-Stars

We live in Devon and my DD looked at both Bristol and Exeter uni. Bristol is a very different proposition as it is spread across the whole city whereas Exeter much more campus. Agree it is very hilly. In the end she went to University of Birmingham and had a fabulous time.
Mumindevon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Imagineer

We went to a couple of open days at Exeter. My DD loved the feel of the campus, everything seemed to be there, lovely sport facilities, a shop, takeaways, student union. It is on a hill and you constantly seemed to be walking up or down the hill to get to other parts of the campus. The halls were OK, they were doing some of them up while we were there, but did seem expensive. The area we saw for lectures appeared very modern and the staff were very friendly. Although my DD got the grades for Exeter, she changed her mind at the last minute and went somewhere else.
fizzypop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post

My ds went to Exeter uni , he loved it but ended up leaving last year and getting a job as a software developer.
Saying that , he still loves it down there so much that he’s been living down there with his friends who still go to uni as he can work remotely .
Accommodation is expensive and the uni halls he was in were near the station which was actually handy for coming back home but as others said there was a trek up the hill.
He moved to private accommodation the year after which wasn’t such a bad walkout price but being young they didn’t seem to mind so much but a bike helped .
I have to say ,I love Exeter .
We always really enjoyed going down to visit him.
It’s not too big, everywhere is walkable and lots of options for part time jobs .
Ds worked in a nightclub and a lovely pub on the canal .

Edited at 09:14 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

My DD chose Bristol over Exeter 😀 Both are hilly, but the university in Exeter is extremely hilly.

She felt that Exeter was a little bit smaller and didn’t have as many shops etc as Bristol (and she does like shopping 😂 ) She also preferred the course content in Bristol for her chosen subject, Biology.

Both universities were quite expensive for accommodation, although I think Exeter was the cheaper of the two. Most of the accommodation was on campus at Exeter whereas Bristol uni is city centre based with accommodation in various areas of the city which my DD prefers but a lot of students like campus accommodation

Good luck to your DD with her choice
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List