Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 17 May 20, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
grannyed
Very Serious Dibber

Jersey

Hi. Does anyone have any ideas about holidaying in Jersey.
We live in Yorkshire and have thought about driving down to the south of England and stopping off for a night or two and then taking the ferry over for a week so we’d use our own car... doing the same coming back.
We are also able to fly from our local airport and could then hire a car in Jersey. There’s just the two of us .. retired.. is a car useful in Jersey or is public transport readily available.

Thanks for any hints or tips or ... we usually
Prefer to self cater

We realise that this is far away, I am in the shielding category at the moment But need something to look
Forward to
grannyed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 20, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
gforce_iom
Imagineer

gforce_iom's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I have visited Jersey many times for work previously and Jersey is a nice place to visit.

Hiring a car would enable you to see more of the island on your timetable rather than having to rely on public transport... but there is a decent bus service and taxis are plentiful (but a bit pricey).

If I was visiting for pleasure I would definitely want a car... but parking can be an issue...in St Helier I always get the impression the place is filled with cars!

Flying to Jersey would always be my preferred option... unless you like a long drive down and a fairly long ferry crossing.
1991-96 4 Trips~1997x1~1999x1~2001x1~2004x1~2004/2005x3/2006x2/2007x3/2009x2/2010x2~2011 Westridge Villa~2012 Highlands Reserve Villax3~2013 Hampton Lakesx2~2014 Hampton Lakesx2~2015 Hampton Lakesx1~2017 Sunset Ridgex2~Rosen Shingle Creek~2018 Sunset Ridgex1~2018 Rosen Shingle Creek~2019 Sunset Ridgex1 Hampton Lakesx1 Calabay Parcx1 2020 Highlands Reservex1 2022 Calabay Parcx1 2024 Hunters Creekx1
gforce_iom is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 20, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Mobile

We’ve been twice from Leeds Bradford airport with Jet2. We hired a car. For us this was the best thing to do as the girls were younger and we were staying self catering at Les Ormes which is near the airport. If we were staying in St Helier we would probably not hired one and used the bus to visit the other places we wanted to go to.
mrsdjh is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 20, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
malt1977
Apprentice Imagineer

I live on Jersey, feel free to ask anything and I’ll try and answer.

As mentioned, Le Ormes has some great self catering apartments and is very close to the airport. We do however have a plentiful supply of hotels across the 12 parishes.

I’d recommend getting a hire car, we’ve Herts and Avis at the airport. Bus service isn’t bad and the main routs are quite frequent. Avoid taxis, they are very expensive given the size of the island.
malt1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 20, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
grannyed
Very Serious Dibber

Thank you for responding. I am obviously not in a position to book anything at the moment... hoping to go this year in the autumn.. as soon as we can.
grannyed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 20, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
We went a couple of years ago in September to coincide with the airshow.
We went Monday - Friday, flew from Gatwick with easyjet and hired a car at the airport.
We stayed in St Helier in a hotel.
Spent a couple of really good days driving around to various places, zoo, ww2 hospital tunnels and various lighthouses, nice beaches etc, and spent a day and a half at the airshow.
We found driving really easy, and the politeness of the driving something I've never experienced on the mainland.
The only thing we might do different next time is drive our own car over, so we can bring more back
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 20, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

We went to a Jersey for a week last summer. We flew EasyJet from Newcastle and it was really cheap. We stayed in the Premier Inn in St Helier again very reasonable. This was above a supermarket and 5 mins walk from the bus station. We bought a bus ticket for the duration of our stay and took the bus all round the island. It was very easy but I’d only do it if staying in St Helier as all buses left from here. If you stayed elsewhere you would have to get the bus in and out of St Helier to go anywhere which would be a pain. We stayed a week in July, had beautiful weather, spent a couple of half days at the beach and easily filled the rest of the week sightseeing - lots of castles, war tunnels, winery all worth visiting.
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 20, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Goofy3
Excited about Disney

I had a short break in Jersey planned at the end of this month. Now sadly cancelled due to current events. We also were booked into the Premier inn at St Helier. We were going to use the local bus service. It seemed to be very geared up for visitors with multiple day passes, journeys from the airport etc.
Also I looked into bicycle hire. I downloaded a map of cycle routes that go all over the island. Hire companies even had electric bikes for those (like me) who are slightly unfit!
I’m absolutely gutted not to be going. I changed my Easyjet flights to Faro instead (they offered a change for free with no charge for flights costing more), but still hoping to go to Jersey sometime
Goofy3 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 20, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
holidayforever
Serious Dibber

My Son had booked long weekend for July for my husband 70th birthday present to Jersey ( which is tomorrow no family celebration 😢 ) but flights were booked with Flybe from Southampton but they went into administration has got flight money back through Barclaycard and moved hotel booking to September so hopefully will get a flights but will have to be from Gatwick or Heathrow.

Edited at 07:57 PM.
holidayforever is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 20, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post

We have been by ferry at Easter. Last time we had to.xome back early because a patch of bad weather was rolling in and we had to swap to a different ferry overnight service which squeezed is in. October may have similar weather issues. In future I would fly.

We have found self catering companies such as macoles very helpful in the past.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List