Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Jul 18, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
joxxxxx
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

You could take a middle approach if the ring had some nice stones but an old fashioned setting, you could take them and incorporate them into a new ring.
joxxxxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 18, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
orangeone123
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I don’t think I would have liked a ‘hand me down’ ring. I did show my then boyfriend a few rings I liked - luckily he was paying attention - and got it spot on. He did say I could change it if I’d liked, however I’m not sure I would have changed it - even if I didn’t like it - as it’s what he had picked.
orangeone123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 18, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
BLDY&McGoo
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Mobile

If the ring was from a long term successful marriage like a grandparents I would honestly be honoured to be given such a precious thing.
I think its a really nice way of welcoming someone into a family as in your situation I would see that my new in laws clearly felt i was worthy of their son.

Does that make sense?

I think everyones opinion on ‘hand me down’ are different but Ive never seen a problem in it, although maybe not hand be down underwear lol

If It was a ring from a marriage that ended in divorce I wouldnt be so accepting as I would feel it was a bad omen
BLDY&McGoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 18, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
rosiela
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I never really knew what kind of engagement ring I would want or what would suit me. When my OH proposed in October it was with his grandmother’s ring. It’s beautiful and perfect for me in appearance and I also love that it’s got some history and sentimental value.

I think it will totally depend on the individual, some ladies would prefer to pick their own ring so I guess it depends.

Here’s mine
rosiela is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 18, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sammykitten View Post
I don't have an engagement ring, my wedding ring was chosen for me by me (I got married 16 years ago).

My DD has talked at me about this though (she's 17) - she would, in a perfect world, prefer to be surprised with a new ring and a proposal, but she wants to have pointed out which ring(s) are acceptable to me beforehand, and wants her future fiance to fully consult me before he buys her an engagement ring !
I hope you took lots of notice when she has been pointing them out! 😬
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 18, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DD{s hubby proposed to her with a beautiful vintage diamond ring. He had a very good idea of the type she wanted and she was over the moon with it. The back up plan if she didn’t was for his Mum to have it.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 18, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

I would prefer (and got) a new ring. Mostly because the style of older rings that I've seen are just not me at all.

OH would ask me which ones like I every time we walked past a jewellers and I expected him to get help with choosing a ring.
But no, surprised with the most beautiful ring that he picked himself, didn't show anyone until after we got engaged and got it perfect. Offered several times to take it back if I didn't like it, but I love it. Very very thin band with 7 diamonds in a daisy shape. The band is also curved either side of the stones rather than straight which is what I wanted. He did very well indeed!

A lot of the older ones I've seen (especially my grans) have the big circle or oval shaped (usually black/coloured) in the middle, with stones around the outside and that's just too much for me. Though the sentiment of a handed down ring is lovely, it's not for me.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 18, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
shauney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
She lied..
She didn't get chance to complain

shauney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 18, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
arosiem
Excited about Disney

Mobile

As long as the ring suited me and my taste, I wouldn’t mind having a ring passed down at all, in fact, if it was my style I’d probably like it a bit more because of the sentiment.
That saying, I have quite a specific style I like, which looks more vintage, so a hand me down would probably work well, I’m not so much a fan of the newer styles.

Saying that, in all honesty I don’t think I’d care that much what I got!
arosiem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 18, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

I would rather a ring remained in the female line if you see what I mean. My mother in law gave me her mother in laws ring when she died so I gave it to my daughter, just seemed the right thing to do. I have put all my jewellery in my will and all my rings are to go to my granddaughters. It's just something I feel strongly about.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List