Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Oct 21, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Well that's a way to waste half an hour of a miserable Saturday afternoon. It's one of those things that you're never going to agree on - it's like that breastfeeding/formula feeding debate - as long as baby/dog is fed and happy just live and let live. Couple of things from reading your arguments though - the 'research paper' mentioned above is a review, not actual research - it's almost skimming articles for headlines and it's impossible to draw a conclusion when there is no data to look at. Likewise a few posts up, someone was repeatedly using 'natural' as if it's a good thing. Arsenic and cyanide are 'natural' but not necessarily a good thing to feed your pet on.

Still waiting to hear where the '98% of cancers are from kibble' has come from. Proper link to an actual paper if possible please, not press/journals.

Edited at 11:07 PM.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 21, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
There is a reason that vets do not recommend raw but many people choose to go their own way with this, no problem.
I’ve had dogs all my life and don’t recognise this lack of tolerance to regular dog foods, I have never had a dog with digestive issues, bad teeth, smelly breath or foul smelling poo.
My dogs have only ever been to the vet for vaccinations and spaying/neutering.
I have tried different dry kibbles over the years and not really had a problem with any of them, settling on Bob and Lush (online only) and supplement with organic cooked meat preparations.

Many many kibbles these days are natural products, the one I use is just duck, rice and vegetables.
The cancer argument is complete and utter cr*p
As for the “if they were in the wild” argument, dogs are so far removed from “the wild” these days, that it’s simply not relevant. Would you really let them gorge one day and starve for a few?

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS

Edited at 05:02 PM.
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 21, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
Well that's a way to waste half an hour of a miserable Saturday afternoon. It's one of those things that you're never going to agree on - it's like that breastfeeding/formula feeding debate - as long as baby/dog is fed and happy just live and let live. Couple of things from reading your arguments though - the 'research paper' mentioned above is a review, not actual research - it's almost skimming articles for headlines and it's impossible to draw a conclusion when their is no data to look at. Likewise a few posts up, someone was repeatedly using 'natural' as if it's a good thing. Arsenic and cyanide are 'natural' but not necessarily a good thing to feed your pet on.

Still waiting to hear where the '98% of cancers are from kibble' has come from. Proper link to an actual paper if possible please, not press/journals.
I posted that because it was easier to read the general findings rather than having to trawl through lots of data. The findings are the same nevertheless.
I too would be interested to read the actual papers that says kibble causes cancer.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 21, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
mexico07
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
There is a reason that vets do not recommend raw but many people choose to go their own way with this, no problem.
I’ve had dogs all my life and don’t recognise this lack of tolerance to regular dog foods, I have never had a dog with digestive issues, bad teeth, smelly breath or foul smelling poo.
My dogs have only ever been to the vet for vaccinations and spaying/neutering.
I have tried different dry kibbles over the years and not really had a problem with any of them, settling on Bob and Lush (online only) and supplement with organic cooked meat preparations.

Many many kibbles these days are natural products, the one I use is just duck, rice and vegetables.
The cancer argument is complete and utter cr*p
As for the “if they were in the wild” argument, dogs are so far removed from “the wild” these days, that it’s simply not relevant. Would you really let them gorge one day and starve for a few?
Have a read !
prodograw/dogs-cance...-vs-kibble-p2/
mexico07 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 21, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
mexico07
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
I posted that because it was easier to read the general findings rather than having to trawl through lots of data. The findings are the same nevertheless.
I too would be interested to read the actual papers that says kibble causes cancer.
mexico07 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 21, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Originally Posted by mexico07 View Post
Have a read !
I’ve read.
One article - any more to back it up? Specifically from a neutral source not the founder of a raw feeding society?
You won’t convince me and I won’t convince you, no problem.
All of my dogs, all of my life have lived past their expected life expectancy and I currently have a 10 year old large breed that most people think is a puppy.
Each to their own

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS

Edited at 05:52 PM.
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 21, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

As a matter of interest apart from maybe extra worming raw fed dogs, with the increased infection risk do you check their poo and saliva regularly for ecoli and other bacterias in raw meat?
Old 2 Oct 21, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

I think this thread has got a bit out of hand. We all need to agree to disagree rather than getting into a ‘tit for tat’ situation. The OP asked for advice and experience of raw feeding not a debate about which type of feeding is best.
I think all types of dog foods obviously have their positive and negatives. We are all doing what we believe is best for our dogs as fellow dog lovers. There are obviously some brands of kibble that are better than others and ways of feeding raw which may be better than other ways.
My dog is thriving on raw, as have my cats, however I know of dogs and cats that have been fed dry/wet or a combination of both and been happy and healthy also.
It’s all down to personal choice at the end of the day, there is no definitive right or wrong.
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 21, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mexico07 View Post
Have a read !
That is not a credible website. Absolutely anyone could have set that up. The domain name 'prodograw' gives you a clue that they won't be very keen on kibble.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 21, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Also... its impossible to discuss or research "kibble" as a generic item or term. The difference in quality is more than world's apart, from the cheapy over processed offerings at the bottom end of the market, to the scientifically produced, well researched top end kibble. They are, quite simply, totally different products that are incomparable.

I have a friend that feeds raw to her Crufts champions, but only after a year old. They are fed a top end kibble up until then.

It's an emotive debate, but "kibble" is a difficult thing to define. I certainly wouldn't feed my dog certain cheapy brands, but she is thriving on a top end kibble. Her coat is silky, shiny, and so soft. And people regularly comment on it. It's a bit like using the term 'convenience food'... I wouldn't necessarily feed my family a value cheese & tomato pizza, but an M&S fish pie is a different matter. Or using the term 'sliced bread'... a 50p value loaf is barely comparable with a wholemeal nuts and seeds speciality loaf.
TheHughesCrew is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List