Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 11 Oct 21, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Christmas cake

Any nice and easy recipiea out there please? DD is looking to make some smallish ones, one to ‘feed’ and one non-alcoholic. Do they need defferent recipies ? Made at same times?

I have no idea but trust the advice on here as there are so many good bakers! X
Old 11 Oct 21, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
speedwayfan
Imagineer

speedwayfan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I made mine at the weekend. I use James Martin's recipe every year and always tastes great. You do not have to use alcohol if you don't want. It's really easy as you put butter, sugar and fruit on the hob and simmer and then blend in the rest of the ingredients.

bbcgoodfood/recipes/...christmas-cake

HTH

Jill
speedwayfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
Any nice and easy recipiea out there please? DD is looking to make some smallish ones, one to ‘feed’ and one non-alcoholic. Do they need defferent recipies ? Made at same times?

I have no idea but trust the advice on here as there are so many good bakers! X
Recipes can be the same - I use a Delia recipe which soaks the fruit in brandy overnight then I feed it between now and Christmas a few times. So, you could start the fruit off the day before for the fed cake and just make them both the same day (obviously keeping the fruit apart).

So long as they are all deep filled cake tins then they can be different sizes if necessary as they tend to take the same length of time to cook. When I cooked ds’s wedding cakes I had the largest and smallest in the oven at the same time and both took same length of time to cook and came out perfectly. (In fact the chefs at his reception posed with the cake for a selfie as though they had made and decorated it which made me laugh when I found out).
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
I use Delia's creole cake recipe every year. There is a ton of different fruit which is soaked for a week in about 5 different kinds of alcohol, before you even make the cake. But then you just wrap it up till Christmas, no need to feed it.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I find Mary Berry’s recipe makes the nicest cake.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
I use Delia's creole cake recipe every year. There is a ton of different fruit which is soaked for a week in about 5 different kinds of alcohol, before you even make the cake. But then you just wrap it up till Christmas, no need to feed it.
Yup - that's my recipe too. Works every time and gets lots of compliments. I used to use Nigella's from her Christmas Book, but it was very dark, maybe too much treacle.
Old 12 Oct 21, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
borntoshop
Imagineer

I use the be-ro one. I've got about 20 small ones and 5 bigger ones in the freezer. In another month they'll be defrosted and have marzipan on ready for icing. I donate them to a local rescue who have a Christmas fayre.
Nov/Dec 03-Orlando Villa/DLP Sept 04-Greece Nov/Dec 05-Orlando Villa 2007-New Hampshire ski-ing Orlando BWL & Villa 25 Dec 08 Florida New York 2010 New Hampshire 2011 New Hampshire 2012 Florida 2013 North Conway Christmas 2014
borntoshop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 21, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

I usually use one from an old M&S book on cake decorating but this year I’ve swapped to Mary Berrys traditional Christmas cake and it’s lovely……I like having no mixed peel in it too……

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 21, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Thanks for the replies- will check some out, im another one not too keen on peel so will leave it out. .x