Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Oct 17, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Leyfy
Imagineer

Secret Santa as a family

On the theme of the Christmas thread, does anyone else do this? We've done this for the past five or six years on my side of the family and it's made shopping *so* much easier! We have a budget and all provide a list and just buy for one person.

I'm in the middle of sorting out everyone's lists at the moment (including my own - no idea what to put on mine yet )

We only do this for the over 18s and people can opt out if they like (I have quite a large extended family) so children still get gifts from everyone.

It works for us - just wondered if anyone else did this too?
Leyfy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 17, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

My friend family have always done this - about 15 adults in total. They still buy for the children (again around 15 children so they set a £10 limit). It's much better than looking for something for everyone and it means all the adults get one nice present (again limited to £30).
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 17, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

We did this for first time last year, had tried to suggest the idea for a few years before but some couldnt see how it works. Makes it alot more relaxing and the present giving is done by the children, we get one person to open their present at a time. Makes it easier on shopping and tbh the huge mountain of presents used to take ages to give out and made it quite a stressful day for DS, who is 28 but has problems dealing with crowded places/busy. So happy days for us all round. We still get presents for little ones tho! We set a limit of just £20, my family christmas shopping is done and wrapped!

By the way, the most sceptical one last year was the first to suggest we did this again this year!

Edited at 09:35 AM.
Bootrip2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 17, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

We have agreed to do this for the first time this year. What a relief - so much less pressure and money saved. It had become ridiculous just buying stuff that no one needed (or probably wanted). The children will get their presents as normal.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 17, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We do it. It’s a fab idea. My daughter uses an online thing for it. However she sets it up, None of us get our partners , we all do online wish lists and have a limit. We’ve done it for several years and it’s been a success so far.
dizzymcfarlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 17, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Leyfy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by dizzymcfarlane View Post
We do it. It’s a fab idea. My daughter uses an online thing for it. However she sets it up, None of us get our partners , we all do online wish lists and have a limit. We’ve done it for several years and it’s been a success so far.
Ooh I like the idea of online wish lists!

We used to have £100 limit and then everyone kept asking for vouchers and it got pointless! I said we may as well just keep the £100 and spend it ourselves 🙄

So we went for £50 and no vouchers allowed! At least people have gifts to open on the day.
Leyfy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 17, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Gems09
Excited about Disney

We've done it for yrs and we do a small circle family one for £60 pp and the wider family circle so aunts uncles cousins etc and that a £20pp gift. We all buy for each other's kids though. I also use an online secret santa where you put in everyone's email address and you can set rules so people can't get their other half and then emails you the name of who you have "picked"
Gems09 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 17, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Edie ray
Apprentice Imagineer

We are trying this for the first time this year, over 18s and £25 limit per present

Children will get presents as usual, my son who has just turned 18 is a bit gutted as he will not get his usual load of presents and he also has to go out and buy one for whoever he picked out of the hat
Edie ray is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 17, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
sidsmum
Very Serious Dibber

Yes, we have done it for years too. It is so much better to get one, nice present than lots of bits that you don't really want 😀
sidsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 17, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
BLDY&McGoo
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
On my side of the family we are doing it this year with a £30 limit and I think it's a great idea.

I Have my sister who wanted new make up so I took advantage of boots 3for2 and got her About £50 worth of the bits she needs & put in a cute primary make up bag with a Couple of brushes too which she will appreciate as Doesnt Have much money to spend on herself

Scott has my Mum so Ive got her some PJs & will possibly order a photo cushion.

Its a great idea as I think sometimes we just buy gifts for the sake of it as appossed to thinking carefully & we all just end up in debt swapping gifts you don't need x
BLDY&McGoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List