Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 May 22, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I wonder what score the dogs got?🤣🤣
Better than I did probably.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 22, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

This actually reminds me of a Disney+ show (that I watched after getting some recommendations for it here!) called Pick of the Litter, which shows how guide dogs are trained. And it's pretty impressive how rigorous and long the training is, and a number of the dogs actually fail the course (and get adopted as pets). Those who pass are so incredibly well trained and well behaved - which they really need to be to keep their owners safe...

But as for other "assistance animals" who haven't gone through such training though... I wonder how they behave in public? Highly doubt they are as well trained and as well behaved in public...
Old 27 May 22, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sky13 View Post
This actually reminds me of a Disney+ show (that I watched after getting some recommendations for it here!) called Pick of the Litter, which shows how guide dogs are trained. And it's pretty impressive how rigorous and long the training is, and a number of the dogs actually fail the course (and get adopted as pets). Those who pass are so incredibly well trained and well behaved - which they really need to be to keep their owners safe...

But as for other "assistance animals" who haven't gone through such training though... I wonder how they behave in public? Highly doubt they are as well trained and as well behaved in public...
I watched this when Disney + first started.
So cute! And very interesting..
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 22, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

DH regularly (for many years now) has sponsored guide dogs, some make it, others if they don’t make it usually get to do other careers as i expect even the basic training is expensive and therefore not wasted. It really makes me cross when people fake the assistance animal thing.
Old 27 May 22, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by fudgie View Post
A cat is very territorial - taking it away from home to visit Sainsbury's must be incredibly stressful for it
Apparently not.

The owner takes the cat lots of place with him. There’s an article that says he takes the cat to his pub (I think), the cat sits on a mat, and sits there watching people for a couple of hours without moving whilst occasionally having a little treat.

The cat appears to be very well trained and quite happy to go out and about with its owner.

Personally, I don’t see why a dog of any description can be allowed in a shop whereas a cat can’t. As long as they are trained and well-behaved, I don’t see what the difference is. Food hygiene wise, I have as much concern about cats being around food as I do dogs.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 22, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Apparently not.

The owner takes the cat lots of place with him. There’s an article that says he takes the cat to his pub (I think), the cat sits on a mat, and sits there watching people for a couple of hours without moving whilst occasionally having a little treat.

The cat appears to be very well trained and quite happy to go out and about with its owner.

Personally, I don’t see why a dog of any description can be allowed in a shop whereas a cat can’t. As long as they are trained and well-behaved, I don’t see what the difference is. Food hygiene wise, I have as much concern about cats being around food as I do dogs.
not even guide dogs?

can you even train a cat ? so sit or lie down for example ?
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 22, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
not even guide dogs?

can you even train a cat ? so sit or lie down for example ?
Every cat I’ve ever seen trains it’s owners. Not vice versa!

Edit. I said Owners but a better term is Staff

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 04:50 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 22, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Every cat I’ve ever seen trains it’s owners. Not vice versa!
Unless it sees a guide dog then it will scarper !

Cue Tannoy announcement: "Mayhem in Isle 7"

Cats have a place but not in a store etc
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 22, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Apparently not.

At the end of the tv report, the reporter asked the cat what she thought. She said the training had been appalling and hated being dragged around at the human’s behest, but put on a brave face as she didn’t like a scene - she felt she was in an abusive relationship. Her biggest gripe was that she had never been consulted and the pay was derisory- she plans on clearing off to those nice people who live at no 27 at the first opportunity.

Edited at 04:53 PM.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 22, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
DH regularly (for many years now) has sponsored guide dogs, some make it, others if they don’t make it usually get to do other careers as i expect even the basic training is expensive and therefore not wasted. It really makes me cross when people fake the assistance animal thing.
This also annoys me.
My dad is a guide dog owner. He’s on his 5th dog. What they have done for my dad is just amazing, they gave him his independence. But the training that he has gone through is also very intensive. He’s decided that when his current dog, Jasper, retires he’s not getting another one as he couldn’t do the training again.
When my dad got his first dog he joined a local fundraising branch. Him and my mum have banked about 750k in fundraising for Guide Dogs as he never took his dogs for granted and wanted to give back. He tried to ‘retire’ this year and they’ve asked him back 😊.