Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 15 Aug 18, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
The Fatadder
Apprentice Imagineer

Florida in the 1990s: May 1999

I have now reached my final trip in the 1990s in May 1999, I remember the run in to this trip was particularly stressful. Sats exams were the focus at school in the run in to the trip (no chance to skip these ones), while we were due to move from Wiltshire to Devon a couple of days after we returned from Florida.
The plan for this trip was a little different to our previous holidays, our first time in a villa and our first time travelling with others. With my uncle, aunt and 3 cousins travelling with us and sharing the villa. The plan for the two weeks covered some of the Disney parks (we would only be doing the newly opened Animal Kingdom, MGM and Epcot along with the water parks). Universal Studios, SeaWorld, Bush Gardens and Kennedy Space Centre. Once again cramming a lot into the fortnight. We also made it to a soft opening of Islands of Adventure (which wasn’t due to open until after we returned to the UK. I haven’t found any photos of this day, I cant recall if there were limits on photography.)
I am missing a lot of photos here, so hopefully I will find them and can update later.
The day at Islands of Adventure was particularly good, getting to ride front row on all of the rides. I remember the burst of acceleration on our first ride on Hulk, the duelling dragons (when they actually duelled). The fantastic water rides, unsurprisingly it rapidly became my favourite park.

Anyway, on to the photos.
Again I don’t have a photo of the plane, which would have been another Virgin 747, I remember that we were very pleased with the villa, less so with the Chevrolet Malibu.
Untitled by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
Starting off with MGM Studios
I don’t have a lot from the day, we were a few months too early for Rock and Rollercoaster’s debut in July, so that only left Star Tours and Tower of Terror ride wise so not that different from our past few trips.
The only photos that I have found so far are both of the Indiana Jones show, which has hardly changed since those days.
Untitled I cant remember if this tank was next to Indy or part of the backlot.
We visited Blizzard Beach and River Country during the trip, the latter was particularly memorable thanks to the drive home. Pulling out of the park we turned right towards Magic Kingdom, dad was so used to turning on to duel carriage ways he stayed in the left hand lane. He continued driving in that lane with a Disney bus heading straight towards him sounding his horn. My uncle in the other car was following behind (also on the wrong side of the road). Throughout this my cousin was saying how she thought we were on the wrong side of the road, to which my uncle responded that my dad knew what he was doing. Thankfully we moved over before we hit anything, and dad still hasn’t heard the end of it.
After the visit to blizzard beach we made a first visit to the Winter Summerland miniature golf course.
Next up was Epcot, and finally I have found a photo of Spaceship Earth
Of course again a lot of the time was spent in World Showcase and the flower and garden festival. A lot quieter than it is today with the food and drink stands.
We also ended up meeting the Beast in France, another character that we haven’t managed to meet on the last 3 trips (although he is a must see for Evie next time.)
I don’t remember this show, I am guessing from the photos it was found with, that this was at Epcot, possibly Germany?
A first for this trip was Animal Kingdom, I remember being rather underwhelmed. Not surprising when the only rides were Dinosaur and Kali Rapids. The additions of Everest and Flight of Passage make such a difference to this park!
Untitled We did at least get to see some lions on Pride Rock.
Untitled No photo of the tree of life, so this is the next best thing.
Next up SeaWorld
I think there has been a lot of improvements to the backdrop on the Shamu show since my first visit.

Untitled I think this was our first time visiting the pets show. I cant believe that we didn’t take any photos at Clyde and Seamore , it does make me wonder if it was still closed for the transition from Hotel to Pirate Island.

Of course a visit to Bush Gardens was on the cards,
Stanley Falls log flume, very disappointing theming but a decent drop. Pretty much sums up 1990s Bush Gardens in comparison to Islands of Advanture.

Finally Kennedy Space Centre,
Untitled a big difference here compared with 1994 with the Saturn V now under cover.
Untitled We visited on Memorial Day right at the end of the trip. As a result it was possible to meet a real astronaut who had stepped on the moon! Although I cant remember his name…
Untitled My brother (not on the moon)
Untitled The shuttle still outside (in the rain)

So that’s it for now. Hopefully I will find some more from Universal / IOA.

The final trip that I haven’t posted was in July 2002 or 2003, I can remember that we had a week in a villa doing Universal / IOA, SeaWorld and Discovery Cove (but no Disney parks). So no chance to ride Rock and Rollercoaster. We then had a week at St Pete’s Beach, with a couple of days at Bush Gardens and some time on the beach. Again I cant find the photos so this may get updated at a later date…
The Fatadder is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Brilliant👍
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
jengibbo
Excited about Disney

Love these pictures. I was a cast member in the UK pavilion 1998-99 and in my head it only feels like a few years ago looking at your pictures I realise it was 20 years ago😂😂😂
jengibbo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 18, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Thank you for sharing!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List