Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 27 May 22, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Loews Hollywood or tangerine hotel?

We have a 3 week trip booked next March/April and have the above 2 hotels booked for 3 nights and need to decide which to cancel. Loews is £140 more expensive which isn’t too bad but there is also hefty resort fees and parking charges on top where as the Tangerine is free parking. We plan to do a day at universal, WB studio tour and a day sightseeing tour while we are there. Anyone stayed at either of these and can share any insight?
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 22, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

We stayed at the Best Western on the opposite side of the road to the Tangerine for 3 nights in 2019. Also with free (underground) parking and free breakfast.

Easy drive to Universal for rope drop but we had to pay for parking each day (we went two days). These were the first two days of our holiday and jetlag was still hitting us hard. Early starts were great and we got a lot done but we were spent by 2.30 or 3pm and returned to our hotel. We thought we might go back to US later in the evening but once we had left we hadn't got the energy. If we were staying "onsite" we would have gone back to our room for a nap before returning later.

On the day we left LA (we came back to Anaheim at the end of the holiday) we left our car parked at Best Western and walked to the Warner Brother's studio tour which was very easy.

ETA I thought Loews was one of the onsite hotels at Universal. Now I've worked out where it is ...

We found the Burbank area felt very safe and gave easy access for Universal Studios and even more so for Warner Bros tour.

Pleany of restaurants we could walk to from the hotel.

We didn't visit anything else in LA, not even the Hollywood sign so I don't know how convenient it is for that.

Edited at 01:59 PM.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 22, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey68
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Hi. We stayed at The Tangerine in 2018 so not very recent but if the reviews are still good hopefully it hasn’t changed much! I was wary when we booked it as it had the external corridors in a typical motel style but I needn’t have worried. The hotel was quiet, we had an end room which was probably a bit quieter. The room was modern and very clean. There were pastries and coffee in reception each morning which were ideal to grab on the way out and from memory you could get hot drinks in reception any time. There were a few spaces to park in front of the hotel and a further car park at the back. We were lucky to get a space by the room. We didn’t use the car for the 3 nights we were there. We got an Uber to Universal which was $8 going and $9 on the way back cheaper than the parking charge! We did a tour of LA which picked us up at Hollywood and Vine metro. We were going to get the metro there but got an Uber instead which was $14 each way. We didn’t do WB but it is close by. It was a great location for us as DH didn’t drive whilst there which was a break for him as we covered a lot of miles in the trip. Burbank felt very safe and we walked to restaurants in the evening. Plenty of people around. Walked to Bob’s Big Boy Burger and also also Don Cuco a Mexican restaurant next door. Both very good! There was a small pool but we didn’t get chance to use it. We would stay again, we weren’t in the room much as we had busy days planned so just wanted somewhere clean and comfortable with restaurants in walking distance so it met our requirements! Have fun planning. We loved our California trip! 😀
Old 28 May 22, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by mickey68 View Post
Hi. We stayed at The Tangerine in 2018 so not very recent but if the reviews are still good hopefully it hasn’t changed much! I was wary when we booked it as it had the external corridors in a typical motel style but I needn’t have worried. The hotel was quiet, we had an end room which was probably a bit quieter. The room was modern and very clean. There were pastries and coffee in reception each morning which were ideal to grab on the way out and from memory you could get hot drinks in reception any time. There were a few spaces to park in front of the hotel and a further car park at the back. We were lucky to get a space by the room. We didn’t use the car for the 3 nights we were there. We got an Uber to Universal which was $8 going and $9 on the way back cheaper than the parking charge! We did a tour of LA which picked us up at Hollywood and Vine metro. We were going to get the metro there but got an Uber instead which was $14 each way. We didn’t do WB but it is close by. It was a great location for us as DH didn’t drive whilst there which was a break for him as we covered a lot of miles in the trip. Burbank felt very safe and we walked to restaurants in the evening. Plenty of people around. Walked to Bob’s Big Boy Burger and also also Don Cuco a Mexican restaurant next door. Both very good! There was a small pool but we didn’t get chance to use it. We would stay again, we weren’t in the room much as we had busy days planned so just wanted somewhere clean and comfortable with restaurants in walking distance so it met our requirements! Have fun planning. We loved our California trip! 😀
Sounds great, we are doing an LA sightseeing tour too with a day in LA and was wondering how it would work as they don’t pick up from Burbank but the money we would save staying at the tangerine more then covers the Ubers to and from the metro station!
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 22, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey68
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by danisleigh View Post
Sounds great, we are doing an LA sightseeing tour too with a day in LA and was wondering how it would work as they don’t pick up from Burbank but the money we would save staying at the tangerine more then covers the Ubers to and from the metro station!
Just looked at my notes and we did the Day in LA your which was very good. If it’s still the same we were picked up in a bus at Hollywood and Vine which took us to Santa Monica beach where the tour started. At the end of the tour we could either get off at Hollywood and Vine or go back to Santa Monica. We stayed on and went to Santa Monica as we did not see it on the tour as it was the start point. We watched the sunset from the beach, went to the Pier and Bubba Gumps for dinner. Lovely end to the tour. We were going to get the metro back but opted for Uber which was $34 back to Burbank. This was in 2018 so no doubt prices will have gone up!
Old 28 May 22, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

We too stayed in Tangerine and would recommend. It is a welcome relief not to drive. We walked to WB studio tour, got an uber to Universal and this was cheaper than paying for parking. On another day we had a private tour and we were picked up from the hotel and dropped off. I wanted to go to Santa Monica but didn’t want to uber that far incase it cost a fortune(we need an XL as there were 5 of us so always more expensive) so the day we did the tour I asked how much it would be to stay on a bit longer and then she took us back. I think if I did it again I would book her on my last day and get an airport drop off.

Edited at 11:51 PM.
Tweety1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List