Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 14 May 19, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
mouli1
Imagineer

mouli1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by Buzz242 View Post
We took the Amtrak from Penn Station to Boston last summer, I would definitely recommend it. We didn't have a car in Boston as it was pretty much all walkable, we then picked up our hire car to travel to Cape Cod.
Yes that's what we are doing to
Where did you get your hire car ?downtown or airport ?
How long before your train did you get to Penn station ?

[R]
mouli1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 19, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
AlexE
Imagineer

AlexE's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

I don't think one day in Washington D.C. will do it justice, even if you do a HOHO bus as there is so much to do.

We used the Amtrack between NY and Washington and it was a relaxing way to travel.

Driving in either Washington, N.Y. or Boston is for lunatics 🙌
Old 15 May 19, 06:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Buzz242
Very Serious Dibber

We got off the train at Boston Back Bay, our car hire was based in a nearby hotel (possibly Sheraton? ) it was on the same street as The Colonade which is where we were staying.
We arrived at Penn Station about 30 mins before departure, I would highly recommend using the Red Cap service. We were taken down to the train Platform, our cases were loaded and we were seated before anyone else. We were advised to tip $5 per case, worth every penny in my opinion.
Buzz242 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
PumpkinCupcake
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by AlexE View Post
I don't think one day in Washington D.C. will do it justice, even if you do a HOHO bus as there is so much to do.

We used the Amtrack between NY and Washington and it was a relaxing way to travel.

Driving in either Washington, N.Y. or Boston is for lunatics 🙌
I would love to go for longer, but it was one that we had just kind of threw into the mix once we realised our route! If we're going to be close by, and going to NYC anyway then we figured it would be nice for a look
PumpkinCupcake is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I would skip Salem, Ma. If you want to see the northshore go to Newburyport or Rockport. I have lived in New England for 67 years and never gone to the Salem tourist sites-way too tacky-and I've never heard good things about them.

I have driven in Boston for many years but never advise anyone who is unfamilar with the city to do so. It is not an easy city to navigate, traffic is hoorendous and parking (if you find it) is outrageous (I had to go to the Boston branch of our bank to pick up some Euros. It took may 15 minutes, but my parking was $20.)
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
PumpkinCupcake
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
I would skip Salem, Ma. If you want to see the northshore go to Newburyport or Rockport. I have lived in New England for 67 years and never gone to the Salem tourist sites-way too tacky-and I've never heard good things about them.

I have driven in Boston for many years but never advise anyone who is unfamilar with the city to do so. It is not an easy city to navigate, traffic is hoorendous and parking (if you find it) is outrageous (I had to go to the Boston branch of our bank to pick up some Euros. It took may 15 minutes, but my parking was $20.)
Oh really? That’s very disappointing to hear I’ve always wanted to go and wanted to see the hocus pocus house. Do you think either of those places would be nice to visit in mid November? Our flight out is on the 14th and we hope to arrive in Boston around the 11th/12th (currently working through our itinerary and haven’t reached this point yet!)

Thank you. Definitely a good call on the car then. I don’t want to end up spending lots of money on car parking!
PumpkinCupcake is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
sunjue100
VIP Dibber

sunjue100's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We used Amtrak last October from DC it was really cheap and very comfortable would definitely recommend.
Old 17 May 19, 04:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

There is a lot to do in Boston and the "T" (subway) is easy to use. I would spend time in the city and not take time on a first trip to travel to the suburbs.

Do you like art? History? science? Boston has great museums. And of course, the Freedom Trail. You can also take a Duck Tour (land/water tour). They originated in Boston. Growing up, my kids loved to stop and spend time in Quincy Market, watch the street performers and get a bite to eat. I love a walk around the Common and Public Gardens and a slow ride on the swan boats but I think both the boats and swans are gone by November.

The local universities will be in session while you are there and Harvard, Boston University, Boston College, MIT, Northeastern and many smaller schools will offer sports and the arts at much lower prices than professional companies. All of the larger schools are easily accessible by the T. Boston has the largest student population in the US.

November can be beautiful, hot or freezing. UNfortunately our weather is unpredictable and changeable. You can find lots of boat rides and water adventures but IMO, the weather needs to cooperate.

Come, have fun, and enjoy the area.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List