Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 25 May 19, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Millie2017
Dancing with Tink'

Florida Keys - Help with Itinerary Please!

We have 5 days and 5 nights - leaving Miami Friday morning after flying in the previous day and then heading back to Orlando the following Wednesday (driving both ways). How would you suggest we split our time?

Our initial thoughts are drive straight to Key West Friday morning, early to beat congestion, have 2 full days in Key West then using the third day to head to Key Largo/Islamorada (with various stops along the Keys on the way), then spending the next 2 days in Key Largo or Islamorada before heading up to Orlando the following day.

Open to any and every suggestion please
Old 25 May 19, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

I’d go straight to Key West as you’ve planned but then work my way up the west coast on way to Orlando. Maybe Naples/Sarasota for 1/2n followed by Clearwater/St Petes/Anna Maria for 1/2n.

Just personal preference, have done Key Largo as a child but can’t remember much about it and we love the other places suggested too.
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

When passing, it is well worth parking on the North side of the 7 mile bridge and walking the old, disused one. At the entrance to it we saw over a dozen wild Iguanas and whilst on it, a turtle swam right underneath us. The views were incredible also.

On the other side of the road and almost underneath the current 7 mile bridge is a really nice Caribbean style restaurant.

As for Key West, Millers shipwreck museum was extremely interesting. Miller found several Spanish treasure ships including the Atocha.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
thisismickey
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We enjoyed key large and Robbies at islamarada. I would say stop off at st Pete. We stopped at plaza beach resorts, free happy hour, pool and bar also on the beach. Book through them for a better deal
thisismickey is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Following this one with interest as we are planning some time in the Keys next April before heading up to Orlando (we probably have 3.5 or 4 days to spend there). We are considering staying at Marathon for a night to go the dolphin research center (you can pay to "splash" with the dolphins) and the turtle hospital. Also considering a stop at Robbie's either on the way in or the way out. The Ernest Hemingway House on Key West also looks interesting and currently my only other plan is to eat a lot of key lime pie!

Good luck with the planning and let us know what you come up with
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
sandshal
Imagineer

Mobile

If you’re a couple and want to experience the evening action in Key West do that second once you’re a little more with it and try to include a weekend (bands are better Thursday - Sunday)

sandshal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Rob & Jan
Being a bit Goofy

We stayed at Marathon then drove down to Key West for a day visit-we have been before so one day was enough-I would highly recommend a visit to the the Dolphin Research Center in Marathon it is a fabulous place to visit.
Rob & Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
clanny
Trying for More Ears

clanny's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I can heartily recommend the dolphin research centre at Marathon. WWe treated my Mum for her birthday last year and my son paid his own money to joing her in with the dolphins for the experience. They got WAY more time withthe dolphins than we did at Discovery Cove and it brought my Mum to tears.

Key West is a MUST. as is a stop off at Robbies Marine at Islamorada to feed the tarpon. The food and service are great.

Lastly, can I recommend a single day in Martathon (there's a holiday inn there which is nice) but make sure you go to the sunset bar and grille at the North end of the 7 mile bridge. Take your swimmies and chill out as the sun goes down. Live music and the best ribs my Dad says he's tasted in 78 years! The sunset when were were there was amazing. Absolutely one of the stand out days of 21 stand out days in Miami and the Keys for us last year.

Wish I was going there again this year too.
clanny is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List