Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 20 May 18, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
oh_darling
VIP Dibber

Day 1 - Travel Day! 19th April 2018

We woke up with our alarms at 6.30 this morning. Ben hadn’t slept well at all which was a bummer but he said he’d sleep on the plane so it wasn’t so bad. We got ready and were just about to leave when I realised I’d forgotten my glasses as I went to put my case in my handbag and it was empty I was so gutted and double checked all through my case but I couldn’t find them anywhere. Ben then happened to check by my side of the bed and my glasses were on the floor just under the bed, I’d obviously worn them the night before then dropped them before falling asleep! What a flippin’ nightmare as I so nearly went without them! Well done husband for finding them

We eventually left at 7.40 so not too bad. Check out was smooth although parking had weirdly gone up from £5 the night before to £7 this morning but we honestly couldn’t be bothered to say anything. Overall this was a lovely hotel and I’d really recommend it it, I don’t think it’s too expensive either which is good. Maybe don’t eat in the restaurant though!

We drove to APH parking which is such a great company, we used them last year for our Rome/Sorrento trip and they’re super affordable. Benj went to the desk then we were able to get straight on a shuttle which was good! Traffic was awful though so we didn’t get tpot he North Terminal until about 8.50 (flight was 11.25) We spoke to an air hostess who helped check us in and change it so our seats were together, we’d had some drama while trying to do OLCI as I’d been selected for additional security checks and then we couldn’t get seats together., But we did and it was such a relief! 35 a and b

Next over to bag drop and there were huge lines of people not moving which wasn’t ideal! After about 30 minutes we started moving, not sure what the issue was and it was pretty frustrating as no announcements were made but it was ok in the end. I got checked again at security and the lady said it was probably the pins in my hair ha but I was starting to think I must just come across as a very suspicious person!

Finally we were through and into Boots where I grabbed a cheeky meal deal in case I got hungry on the flight (sidenote, I didn’t and probably didn’t need it but I like the added security knowing I have it if I need!

I also bought one of those neck pillows for my back (I hurt my back at work and it had been really hurting me pre-holiday) which turned out to be a life saver on the flight! It made such a different to my comfort levels! (sidesidenote, I’ve since been to the DRs now we’re back as my back hurt a LOT during the holiday so I decided I needed to do something, and I’ve got strong painkillers now and phsyio exercises to do in the evenings which will hopefully help!)

After Boots and the obligatory Duty Free browse, we headed to Wetherspoons for some brekkie. It was like 9.30 now so time really was flying by! We suspected our flight would be delayed and it was, the gate announcement was due to happen at 10.48 now so we had a nice bit of time to chill in Spoons for a bit

We got a nice table near the entrance on the end of a long line of booths, and checked out the menus then ordered via the Spoons app (which is amazing BTW!) Ben always gets a beer at the airport cause it’s tradition but I never normally do, but I spotted a Kir Royale (Prosecco and Chambord) on the menu which I thought sounded like the perfect pre-flight tipple! It was soooooo good too!

For food Ben got the Vegetarian Breakfast: Two fried eggs, Quorn sausage, baked beans, three hash browns, mushroom, tomato, slice of toast.

I ordered the Eggs Benedict: Two poached eggs, on an English muffin, with Wiltshire cured ham, Hollandaise sauce, rocket.

Both were super good! I really don’t think you can beat a Spoons brekkie, the prices were obviously inflated because it’s an airport but it was still a good breakfast option and nice to have a sit down in a nice environment. We saw SO MANY stag and hen dos hahah! One guy was dressed as a traffic cone! I’ll be honest I was so glad I was going to Florida with my husband rather than a week in Magaluf with the girls on a hen do, we were saying how we never really did the whole girls/boys holiday but that we didn’t feel we’d really missed out!

Breakfast came to about £35 I believe, so we paid up and stayed chilling for a bit before the gate was announced and it was time to head on down.

Once we were at the gate my name was called, cringe, and I got my extra security check. It was super quick though and not a big deal at all, plus we got a cheeky scootch through the queue as Ben was able to come up with me! So we were straight on the plane with all the families haha!

We had seats on the wing boooooo and we thought we might have a spare seat next to us but a guy sat down right at the last min! Bummer!

We took off about 12pm so not too bad, and overall it was a great flight! We had two little girls behind us so were able to recline which was amazing. The people in front of us also didn’t recline so it was a double whammy of goodness!

We got bought drinks first, we both got pretzels, I got wine and Benj got a beer I think.

Then we got menus I took a photo because I always like to see what’s on the menus

There was a mix up with Ben’s food as he got bought the vegan meal not the veggie one which wasn’t the end of the world but he’d have preferred veggie. He did let them know he’d ordered veggie in case there was a hungry vegan on board but they said they had vegan down. I’m sorry I don’t think I took a photo of his meal! It wasn’t great, the salad wasn’t very good and the ratatouille main course was a big lacking. I felt bad because I loved my meal!

Mmmmmmmm

I got the chicken and mushroom pasta and it was honestly amaze. I shared my boursin and crackers with him because I felt bad about his lunch hahhaa. Benj then watched Daddy’s Home 2 and Jumanjii and I watched some food shows and some episodes of Will and Grace.

We then watched Hurricane Heist together! Like pressed play at the same time, we love doing this I had a little sleep and I think Benj did too, I declined an ice lolly as I was trying to sleep but Ben had his and enjoyed it

Afternoon tea was bought round about 1.5 hours before landing, sorry I forgot to take photos but it was a cheese and chutney sandwich, ‘plane’ crisps and a little chocolate square. All really good! I also ate the Kettle chips I got in my meal deal but not the wrap haha, oops! Benj got a vegan wrap with roasted veggies in which was actually really nice.

And with that, it was time to land! We landed at about 4pm so only 10 mins late which was great. Immigration was loooong but we were fairly near the front which was lucky as 2 flights came in moments after we did! I saw a bride with a ‘bride’ dress box so said congratulations and asked her where she was getting married and she said the Pav! So we were like ooooh we got married there you’re going to have the most amazing day! So that was nice We also spotted Brett, Jo, Marceline and fam in the bag pick up bit while we were waiting in immigration, such a shame we didn’t get a chance to chat properly as we didn’t realise we were on the same flight til we were sat on it! We’re meeting up in the summer with a few other Dibbers though for what I imagine will be an obscene amount of drinks, so we’re really looking forward to this It was nice Instagram messaging each other a few times during our trip, apart from once we were home from our incredibly short trip and continuing to see their shennanigans from what felt like their 87 day long trip! I’m just bitter, i know. Anyway, back to immigration.

So we grabbed our bags super quickly which was great, then hopped on the monorail.

Beautiful first views of beautiful Orlando

Then we went to find the Mears shuttle desk. There was a very annoying moment when we couldn’t remember where it was so I said I’d go down the escalator to check. After approx. 1 second on the escalator I could see the Mears shuttles right outside, so headed round to find the ‘up’ escalator but it was out of service! I panicked a bit as we hadn’t turned our phones on properly or anything and hadn’t planned for this separation, and omg NONE of the up escalators were working! I then found the lift, got in, pressed up but it went up 2 floors! I was losing the will. I was feeling really lost as I’d walked along a fair way to get to the escalator and didn’t want to get more lost, so I hopped out and retraced my steps then carried on right to the other end, found another lift and FINALLY was on the floor I needed to be on! I was so hot and bothered! I walked to find Benj and bless him he was like are you ok, luckily he hadn’t moved far and I explained the whole annoying situation. It goes to show how knackered and confused we were as we should have just used the airport WiFi to find where the Mears were!

ANYWAY. So we checked in, got a buzzer then our van pulled up and we were off! We were first off wooooo! The hotel looked really nice from the outside so we were really happy and excited! Check in was super smooth we had a really nice guy, he’d given us a high floor as requested and we also got little goodie bags with water and snacks in, and he wished Benj a Happy Birthday! I picked up my Etsy parcel I’d got delivered too, no charge which was good!

We were in room 413 right by the lifts, super convenient. It was a HUGE room! So much space! And a lovely HUUUGE king size bed which we just fell in love with and want at home hahah!

Dream view

It was about 6.30 by this time, so we quickly changed and freshened up, ready to head out. I had really red, sore eyes so took my lenses out and put my glasses on, and we headed out!

We made our way up I Drive towards the new I Drive 360. It was SO GOOD to be back, strolling past all the tacky souvenir shops and the bars and restaurants. We just walked hand in hand together, taking it all in We popped in a couple of shops and then headed for dinner at Yard House!

We were really looking forward to this dinner and it didn’t disappoint! We got seated at a lovely table outside on the terrace and the atmosphere was so nice! It was so lovely and warm outside, there was a nice buzz from the other tables and we had a great view for people watching Ahhhh to be back there now!

I ordered a pineapple cider and Benj got an I4 IPA from Orlando Brewing

My pineapple cider was SO GOOD! I was so happy! I got it because I’m obsessed with the pineapple wine you get at Disney and it was just as delicious!

We decided to share 3 appetisers here as we weren’t hugely hungry and the bits we wanted to try were more apps than main meals.

We shared Truffle Fries with Garlic and Parmesan, Fried Cheese Curds with Honey Hot Sauce and Horseradish Aoili (I KNOW RIGHT) and Gardein Hot Wings! This was really the reason we wanted to come to Yard House because they have a whole Gardein section on the menu (vegetarian meat products!)

When our little spread arrived I was SO HAPPY.

Close up of the curds

All 3 dreamy dishes

They were all so good! The wings were kinda too spicy for me, we chose buffalo flavour because you just have to, but even though the spiciness I could taste the fake meat itself was so so good! Also our amazing server asked what sauce we’d like and I asked if they had blue cheese even though it wasn’t listed and he said he’d bring it AND ranch! I could have kissed him. The cheese curds were incredible too, especially with the hot honey sauce oh my good good that was so good.

Our dinner was quite pricey even though we didn’t get a lot as it’s an upmarket restaurant, I want to say $50 ish with 2 beers for Benj and 1 cider for me (clearly I was tired, only 1 cider!?) Within budget for our first day though and to be honest so worth the money! The food was delicious, hot and fresh and really well flavoured. Happy Libby!

We left about 8.45 and walked back to our room and got straight into our huuuuuge king bed, falling asleep about 9.30. Successful first night of staying awake and carpe diem’ing!
oh_darling is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 18, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

Sounds like it was a fairly smooth travel day, disappointing with the vegan meal though!
Its great that you can order parcels to the hotel x
Old 20 May 18, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I always take a spare pair of glasses with me just in case, they are old and battered and my prescription has changed but I’d be a disaster without them, thank God Ben found them!

Haha it’s the worst when someone sits down next to you on the plane at the last minute, the anticipation and the false hope are too much.

Your plane food does actually look nice, poor Benj!

The cheese curds look AMAZING!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 18, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Oooh I had no idea Spoons had an app that you can order from! I lived in Spoons when I was younger but haven't been for yonks so this is news to me lol. All looks v tasty so far!
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 18, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Jesslydevie1
Very Serious Dibber

What a fab first night , love the yard house and I just love that feeling knowing your back in Orlando it’s just bliss ! On a side note I watched that movie hurricane heist,it has to be the worst movie I have ever seen lol . Looking forward to more .
Old 22 May 18, 07:25 AM  
Link to this Post
beck_loz
Imagineer

beck_loz's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Great start, look forward to hearing more
beck_loz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 18, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
candycat75
Imagineer

candycat75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Great start! Looking forward to all the veggie food pics.
Old 22 May 18, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
love the photo out of the window. Not enough car parks offer pulled pork IMO

edit actually that sounds dodgy. You know what I mean
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
oh_darling
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Jakey Neverland View Post
Sounds like it was a fairly smooth travel day, disappointing with the vegan meal though!
Its great that you can order parcels to the hotel x
Yeah it was such a shame! But overall, great travel day thank you Yeah it's good! I've done it a couple of times actually and never had a problem, some hotels charge like $5 but this was free, woo! x

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I always take a spare pair of glasses with me just in case, they are old and battered and my prescription has changed but I’d be a disaster without them, thank God Ben found them!

Haha it’s the worst when someone sits down next to you on the plane at the last minute, the anticipation and the false hope are too much.

Your plane food does actually look nice, poor Benj!

The cheese curds look AMAZING!
Yes a spare pair is a very good idea, I'll def be doing that from now on haha! Like it wouldn't have ruined the holiday it would have just been really annyoing! Thank god for Benj

Urgh it really is! Like how dare he hahaha! Was just bad luck really, not his fault!

Yeah mine was lush I was so happy! And yesss the cheese curds were life, I could have quite easily eaten the whole portion myself haha! Oopsie xxx
oh_darling is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
oh_darling
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
Oooh I had no idea Spoons had an app that you can order from! I lived in Spoons when I was younger but haven't been for yonks so this is news to me lol. All looks v tasty so far!
I love your username haha! Ahhhh yes the Spoons app is a gamechanger! They have to do it really quickly too as they have targets, so we get our drinks super speedily! Glad you're enjoying xxxx

Originally Posted by Jesslydevie1 View Post
What a fab first night , love the yard house and I just love that feeling knowing your back in Orlando it’s just bliss ! On a side note I watched that movie hurricane heist,it has to be the worst movie I have ever seen lol . Looking forward to more .
Thank you so much Yeah I love that first night feeling too! It's just the best! OMG it was so bad wasn't it! I was far from impressed! I completely forgot to add that hahah but yes, i was angry I'd wasted 2 hours of my life on it! xxxxxx